Occupational Therapists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fpr85

"newbie"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got a call from one of the SNF (Skilled Nursing Facilities) that we work with today and was spoken to by a somewhat disgruntled O.T. After I spoke with the O.T. I relayed her complaints to my boss. I won't go into much detail about the situation but this whole little incident was between our office, the O.T. with whom I spoke with, and two P.T.'s (the P.T.'s were the ones that voiced the complaints). After telling my boss what happened, he seemed somewhat angry at me, asking why I spoke with the O.T. and not the two P.T.'s. Something that my boss told me made me stop and scratch my head, he said: "Why did you speak with the O.T., the O.T. deals with hand therapy and the upper extremities what does that have to do with our (lower extremity) prosthetic patient?"

I always thought that Occupational Therapists were more concerned with the overall wellness of the patient; physical, emotional states etc... But strictly dealing with the upper extremities (and associated UE exercises), huh?

I later looked in the dictionary and found this: THe OT uses purposeful activity and interventions to maximize the independence and health of any client who is limited by physical injury or illness, cognitivite impairment, psychosocial dysfunction, mental illness, or a developmental learning disability. Services include the assessment, treatment, and education of the client or family..."

I have only been involved in the medical field for just under a year now, my boss has been in the Orthotic & Prosthetic business for 25 years. Is there a different definition associated with Occupational Therapists in the orthopedic world?

If my boss is wrong, should I mention it to him?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a PT and now med student so I'll answer this for you. The definition you found is correct. Typically OTs will deal with IADLs and ADLs and PTs focus really on functional mobility, gait training, etc. (I'm speaking more so of acute care here).

Now in the out patient realm you will frequently see OTs treating just UE and PTs treating just LE and shoulder and maybe, maybe, elbow.

OTs certainly did not go to school to become UE therapists -although some have added qualification as hand therapists (PTs can get this qualification as well but it's more common for OTs).

I have no idea how this started but I'm guessing since the arm and hand are used in functional activities to bring the hand to mouth for feeding, grooming, washing, buttoning buttons, etc they are OT things. Whereas as a PT I'm concerned about whether my pt can mobilize out of bed, transfer safely, use an AD to ambulate and safely ascend/descend stairs (all which more or less deal with LE primarily).

sorry that this was long winded, basically you are correct on the details and your boss is correct on the generalization. hopefuly this in some round about way answered your question, i need some sleep.

-J

Thanks again for your help!