Occupational Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMSRealWeebHours

Reaction score
I have recently heard about occupational medicine and considered it may be a good fit for me at this time. However, I know relatively little about how to get into that field. I'm wondering as to which residency and/or fellowship I would need to have to get into the field. FM? IM? A specific one for occupational med?

I have never heard of someone matching Occupational Med so that's where my confusion stems from. If someone here would be able to enlighten me on this, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What's your current status? Med student? Resident? Already board certified in something?

Edit: Reading your post history, it looks like you are a first year med student. My advice would be to just power through these first two years and once you start clinical rotations you'll have a better idea of what you like.

To answer your question, occupational medicine has it's own residency, but you first have to complete an intern year somewhere else since occ-med programs do not offer that.

Last edited:
What's your current status? Med student? Resident? Already board certified in something?

Edit: Reading your post history, it looks like you are a first year med student. My advice would be to just power through these first two years and once you start clinical rotations you'll have a better idea of what you like.

To answer your question, occupational medicine has it's own residency, but you first have to complete an intern year somewhere else since occ-med programs do not offer that.
Wouldn't that require matching a residency elsewhere first? I'm concerned changing residencies midway might not be seen well

Wouldn't that require matching a residency elsewhere first? I'm concerned changing residencies midway might not be seen well

No, you would do a transitional year or a prelim year - i.e. residencies that are only 1 year in length and designed to give you just an intern year. Many other specialties (derm, ophtho, anesthesia, radiology, radiation oncology, etc) require an intern year.

No, you would do a transitional year or a prelim year - i.e. residencies that are only 1 year in length and designed to give you just an intern year. Many other specialties (derm, ophtho, anesthesia, radiology, radiation oncology, etc) require an intern year.
Wait, people apply before that though normally, right? I heard for Occupational Med it's not even in the match though

Wait, people apply before that though normally, right? I heard for Occupational Med it's not even in the match though
Start here. Once you've read that and read all the linked pages, come back to ask clarifying questions. Or just ask in that thread.

That's definitely helpful. It states there are only 24 residencies, so I'm curious how competitive it is given it is relatively unknown but isn't available in many places.

That's definitely helpful. It states there are only 24 residencies, so I'm curious how competitive it is given it is relatively unknown but isn't available in many places.
It's relatively unknown. There's your answer.

You might benefit from reaching out to that user with specific questions.

Good point. Yes, it does seem very niche. I have seen almost nothing about it until very recently. I'll ask them. Thanks!