Obtaining Internships when not directly related to Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Icansee

PCO c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I feel as if I am in a predicament that seems to be unfair. I just want to know what everyone elses opinions about this and any advice they could offer:

I know that shadowing an optometrist or having an internship in an optometrist's office is good experience for optometry school and good for the application process. I have even had experience for two summers in an optometrist's office which I found very beneficial and fun. But I would like to have other internship opportunities that are not directly related to optometry but are, instead, science, biomedical, or pharmaceutical related. I know that even though they don't give you insight to Optometry directly, they definitely can give skills and indirect insight that would help in optometry school such as critical thinking and knowing other diseases and systemic conditions that affect the eyes, and medications that can aid or affect the eyes, and I can think of a lot more benefits but it would take up a lot space.

However, I feel that the programs that offer these type of internships don't see this significance and instead decide to shun people going into professional studies such as Optometry and medical school, unless you plan to do an MD/PhD. I see it as shunning because a lot of times, when I look at the requirements they will say specifically that you cannot apply. I have also done a search for summer opportunities for students who want to go into professional schools and the only programs I see, are programs that teach you subjects for medical school and the such, where you may have to pay to attend or it may be free but you don't get any stipend or anything. I think those type of programs are good ideas but everyone does not want to study over the summer. We usually do enough of that during fall and spring! So when applying to the internship programs that are geared toward what I am looking for, but don't explicitly shun pre-professional students, I am usually at a loss for how to let them see my perspective on the benefit of them allowing me to be in their program.

Has anyone else had trouble with this when looking for something to do during the summer months? Or do you think that I am trying too hard to fit in with a crowd that doesn't think I am cool because I wanna treat people's eyes and rather I should just stick with my own type (my fellow pre-optometrists who are the coolest set of people in the world, lol)?

I honestly would not mind shadowing an optometrist or volunteering at a hospital again, but frankly, because of financial issues in my life, I cannot afford to do things like that for free. At least not right now. Getting paid in addition to valuable experiences and skills is my goal.

I just feel like people don't want to support those of us who want to become future care takers of America!:mad:

Members don't see this ad.

I would say go in person to talk to whoever is in charge.

hey icansee, i definitely agree with seeking out internships that are more attune to your interest at the moment and pay more than some optometry internships are willing to pay (if at all). The benefit also is that when applying to schools interviewers will see that you have a trend of inserting yourself in the health field and seeing how other areas of science apply to the eyes, and vision.

as for the programs, definitely e-mail or call whoever is in charge of deciding who gets in or not, and tell them how you feel, and see if they welcome people who are pre-optometry. If not you can always ask if they have any suggestions, also if you live close by a school of optometry, you can always ask professors if they need help with research.

It's been a while since I looked at responses for this thread I posted. Thanks very much for the good advice. I will definitely try my best to contact the people in charge of the programs.

Thanks again!