Obtain EU citizenship while in Irish school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted158872

for purposes of obtaining an Irish internship post-graduation from an Atlantic Bridge school, will you be put in the same priority category as EU citizens if you obtain EU citizenship while you're in school? Or do you have to already have EU citizenship by the time you start enrolling in a GEM program?
how many years does one need to live in Ireland to get citizenship?
please tell me all you know about it.

here it says (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...izenship/who_can_become_an_irish_citizen.html):

" You need to have at least 5 years “reckonable residence” in the State to be considered for naturalisation, or at least 3 years if you are married to an Irish citizen. Also, time spent here on a student visa does not count at all for “reckonable residence”, so your “reckonable residence” is zero."

so according to this, the 4 years spent at an AB school don't count at all. HOWEVER, US citizens don't need a visa to study in Ireland, so how does this work actually?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although you don't need a visa to study in Ireland, you're still considered a student. Every year you're in Ireland you'll have to go to immigration and pay 300 euros to have your passport stamped saying you're a student. So none of the years spent as a medical student will count towards the "reckonable residence".

Reactions: 1 user
I looked into this. You get a student visa to go to school. The time spent on your education be it 4 or 6 or 10 years while a "foreign student" does NOT count towards the year accumulation for a passport. As a med grad in EU applying for intern year the preference order is 1. Irish national applicants 2. Other EU applicants 3. All non EU. So you could be the top student in your class and get last pick for a spot - so forget surgery in downtown Dublin and be lucky with a small FM clinic in rural Ireland.

Why myself and non EU applicants worry.
My other worry is that with the political situation - EU bankruptcy, places like UK wanting to leave, refugee and terror crisis with people angry and pushing for closed borders, we honestly don't know if in 5-10 years the EU will even exist and if other places will be a backup for residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked into this. You get a student visa to go to school. The time spent on your education be it 4 or 6 or 10 years while a "foreign student" does NOT count towards the year accumulation for a passport. As a med grad in EU applying for intern year the preference order is 1. Irish national applicants 2. Other EU applicants 3. All non EU. So you could be the top student in your class and get last pick for a spot - so forget surgery in downtown Dublin and be lucky with a small FM clinic in rural Ireland.

Why myself and non EU applicants worry.
My other worry is that with the political situation - EU bankruptcy, places like UK wanting to leave, refugee and terror crisis with people angry and pushing for closed borders, we honestly don't know if in 5-10 years the EU will even exist and if other places will be a backup for residency.

They have now made the distinction between CAO applicants and non-CAO applicants when it comes to getting an internship. This means, the order is now: 1. Irish CAO applicants 2. Irish/EU non-CAO applicants 3. EU 4. Non-EU

for purposes of obtaining an Irish internship post-graduation from an Atlantic Bridge school, will you be put in the same priority category as EU citizens if you obtain EU citizenship while you're in school? Or do you have to already have EU citizenship by the time you start enrolling in a GEM program?

here it says (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...izenship/who_can_become_an_irish_citizen.html):

" You need to have at least 5 years “reckonable residence” in the State to be considered for naturalisation, or at least 3 years if you are married to an Irish citizen. Also, time spent here on a student visa does not count at all for “reckonable residence”, so your “reckonable residence” is zero."

so according to this, the 4 years spent at an AB school don't count at all. HOWEVER, US citizens don't need a visa to study in Ireland, so how does this work actually?

Myself along with all other US citizens had to get a visa to study in Ireland and we had to renew it every year to the tune of 300 euro.

Reactions: 1 users
Myself along with all other US citizens had to get a visa to study in Ireland and we had to renew it every year to the tune of 300 euro.
This - the time spent in ireland as a foreign citizen as a student, will not count towards citizenship.

The visa to study in Ireland vs. an EU passport to get internship are different. To study in Ireland, you are given a visitors visa stamp in your passport when you enter, usually valid for 1-3 months. After that, you need to register for a student visa, along with the card, to stay in the country for the rest of the year. It costs 300 euro and you need to provide a bank statement with adequate funds, proof of health insurance and proof of being a student at the school you are at. If you already have an EU passport, it means you don't need to register for this student Visa, as you already have the right to live and work in the EU. The student visa does absolutely nothing to help you get an EU passport or status in the EU, it expires the moment you are no longer a student. The only way to actually get an EU passport is having been born there or having an EU parent, or getting an EU-FAM stamp based on marriage or common law partnership with an EU citizen. If you do happen to have a parent who is from the EU, you can get that passport anytime. I myself was in that situation! You will still need to pay international tuition; even if you did have an EU passport from the start, they look at where you did high school and lived to determine your tuition rate. If you can get the EU passport from a parent, that means you save yourself from registering for the student visa the next year and you are eligible to apply for the intern year in Ireland, as long as you have the passport in time for the applications to provide a copy. As someone noted above, they have changed the system for this year so now the priority for intern jobs is 1. CAO entry students (Irish born citizens essentially) 2. Non-CAO entry (Other non-Irish people holding EU passports) 3. Other non-EU citizens. There are enough intern spots to accommodate all Irish and EU passport holders, but very few non-EU people get an intern spot each year. What the new priority system for North Americans holding EU passports means is that you won't get your top choice for intern spots; all Irish citizens will be placed first, then at that point they'll start filling spots with other EU citizens. Again, non-EU people are considered after both these groups have been placed, for any of the few spots left.

Reactions: 1 user
EU laws don't allow discrimination between Irish and other-EU citizens, so why don't EU get first picks of internships like Irish do?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's just how it is now. New rules in the fall.

If you have EU citizenship, you don't have to get Garda Vetting and pay the 300 Euro per year. That's the only thing that a North American with EU citizenship (applying through ABP) will get you. 1200 Euro saved is still a lot.

Otherwise, you get the Garda Vetting done every year, passport stamped, Immigration card to present at the borders, and ciao to the 1200 euro.

EU laws don't allow discrimination between Irish and other-EU citizens, so why don't EU get first picks of internships like Irish do?

Yup, that's a good point. Most of the North Americans at Irish schools have been wondering how this is allowed as it seems to do blatantly against EU principles. However, since they are officially making the distinction between "CAO" and "non-CAO" entry, then they're not technically discriminating between Irish and non-Irish as there are a very small number of Irish students who did not apply through the CAO.

Basically they are trying to stop North Americans from getting intern spots and then leaving the system once they match back to North America. Lots of people with dual Canadian or American and EU citizenship had been doing that and not completing the last 3 months of intern year, which is a big problem for the teams and hospitals they were supposed to be working with.

Yup, that's a good point. Most of the North Americans at Irish schools have been wondering how this is allowed as it seems to do blatantly against EU principles. However, since they are officially making the distinction between "CAO" and "non-CAO" entry, then they're not technically discriminating between Irish and non-Irish as there are a very small number of Irish students who did not apply through the CAO.

Basically they are trying to stop North Americans from getting intern spots and then leaving the system once they match back to North America. Lots of people with dual Canadian or American and EU citizenship had been doing that and not completing the last 3 months of intern year, which is a big problem for the teams and hospitals they were supposed to be working with.
I didn't realize that was a big problem of NA taking an intern spot and not completing it when reapply to NA. I would think the contract is binding? Or some sort of penalty to Welch on it? Odd.

I didn't realize that was a big problem of NA taking an intern spot and not completing it when reapply to NA. I would think the contract is binding? Or some sort of penalty to Welch on it? Odd.

I mean it is binding in so far as you wouldn't be welcome or able to return for more training in Ireland. The intern year isn't done until July, so since US residencies start in June its actually not possible to finish the intern year if you match back to North America. For those who match in the states, they don't really care about finishing intern year or being able to complete more training in Ireland. They can't really penalize you or stop you from leaving the country. It just leaves a good few hospital teams scrambling at the end of the year to take care of patients without an intern.

I mean it is binding in so far as you wouldn't be welcome or able to return for more training in Ireland. The intern year isn't done until July, so since US residencies start in June its actually not possible to finish the intern year if you match back to North America. For those who match in the states, they don't really care about finishing intern year or being able to complete more training in Ireland. They can't really penalize you or stop you from leaving the country. It just leaves a good few hospital teams scrambling at the end of the year to take care of patients without an intern.
That's not good :(

Many are thinking it won't matter anyway because many Irish are looking to go to the US for residency after graduation, so there will be the same number of intern spots available for non-EU.

Who knows though.

Many are thinking it won't matter anyway because many Irish are looking to go to the US for residency after graduation, so there will be the same number of intern spots available for non-EU.

Who knows though.

That's true, but most of them still want to complete intern year first since they at least need to do that to be able to return home after US residency training. At UCD, we didn't have a single Irish student apply from the graduating year straight into US residency. At RCSI, there was only one Irish student who did that.

That's true, but most of them still want to complete intern year first since they at least need to do that to be able to return home after US residency training. At UCD, we didn't have a single Irish student apply from the graduating year straight into US residency. At RCSI, there was only one Irish student who did that.

True. At UL, there are some Canadian / Irish couples that are planning on attempting a couples match to the US, some also have US citizenship. So it all really depends on a person's situation.

True. At UL, there are some Canadian / Irish couples that are planning on attempting a couples match to the US, some also have US citizenship. So it all really depends on a person's situation.

Yeah, we had two Irish students at UL match to the States this year and so will not be doing an internship.