Observership for IMG in Canada.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dixon476

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning everybody,

I am a Permanent Resident IMG living in Ontario. Before applying to Carms, I am trying to do a few weeks Observership in Neurology in any of the teaching institutions here. But I am not getting any positive reply. Can any body help me explaining, how can I get an Observership in Neurology in Canada?

Sincerely,

Dr.Dixon

Members don't see this ad.

You can't...To have direct patient care or even observe a patient with a physician you have to have some kind of visiting temporary licence from the CPSO....go to the US if you ever want to become a physician as CPSO will follow their licensing criteria to the letter

Last edited:
Ok then, whats the difference between shadowing and observerships then? They both mean the same thing, but for shadowing all you need to do is email a doctor asking if you can watch them (even uni undergrad students can do this). For observerships you have to do all this licensing?

Either way OP, go to the US if you can, Canada's government is about as bureaucratic as it gets. It is filled with dead links, regulations changing every month, different regulations for different provinces and random fees and waiting times.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of the 407 IMGs, some 266 were prior year graduates. Another 1749 IMGs went unmatched, including 1567 prior year graduates.

My guess is that some of these unmatched IMG applicants could be the same since years. (They may not have good performance record or good letter of references).Please see the 2010 and 2011 IMG performance:
http://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2011R1_MatchResults/1_Summary of Match Results R1 1st_2nd Combined_en.pdf

http://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2010r1_matchresults_flash/english/3.htm

I cannot imagine every year more than 1000 IMG doctors are recieving PR card in Canada.

Dixon

Last edited:
You're right. A very large proportion of those "IMGs" are Canadians who chose to study at schools outside Canada or the United States, particularly Ireland, Australia, and the Caribbean.