Observation Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TooCool

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where did most of you do your observation hours? Is the hospital the best place?

I am currently doing my hours at a hospital but it's kinda boring. Maybe there is another setting that is more 'exciting'? The hospital has both inpatient and outpatient and outpatient is not as boring as inpatient. Time goes by pretty slow and some therapists aren't as enthusiastic as others when I am observing. But I know I have no other choice cause I gotta fulfill the 100 hour commitment for the hospital and to apply to the schools. Do you guys just observe or do you guys ask questions and talk to the patients? I observed one PT and he was soo friendly and helpful and pretty much was walking me through everything he was doing and always asked "Do you have any questions?" after each of his patients. Too bad he is moving. I dunno if I should talk to the patient cause I dont wanna cut into their therapy time.

Sports clinics are considered outpatient right? What other settings do you guys suggest? I have yet to find an acute dept to observe or peds.

Members don't see this ad.

I dunno if I should just be sitting there and watching or should I engage more with the PT or patient? Should I ask the PT questions during or after the patient has left?

Members don't see this ad :)
Silly me, I know how to work the search feature for PT section :p

Just wanted to make sure that Acute is the same as Inpatient, correct?

And SNF is the same as Rehab,correct?

Sorry I am such a newb to all this

SNF means skilled nursing facility.
As far as I can tell, acute means inpatient, but i'm not 100% sure.

Oh I know what SNF means. I am looking at CSULBs site and it says:

1. Rehabilitation
  2. Geriatric
  3. Pediatric
  4. Acute or General Hospital
So I was wondering if SNF would count for Rehab or is that outpatient?

And wouldnt Geriatric be the same as hospital settings?

Geriatric. It depends. Some acute care hospitals have Geriatric specialized PTs you can shadow. However, for nursing homes are the main places for Geriatric rehab, although you can find many geriatric patients at any outpatient clinic.