Obligatory UCLA vs. UCSF Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bb88

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What up people,

I realize that I'm incredibly fortuante to have this decision to make, and that I probably can't go wrong either way. Also, I've done a search and know this question has been beaten to death (and then beaten once more) in past years, but it'd be great if I can get some feedback (from current med students) considering my personal circumstances.

Here are some of the issues I'm thinking about:

1. Although med school hasn't even started yet, I'm planning on applying for one of the more competitive residencies and ideally would like to do that residency in SoCal. Would going to UCLA open more doors locally since I'd be doing clerkships/research/etc. with these residency docs while in med school? Obviously UCSF has a better national repuation, but would this reputation outweigh the advanatages of probably getting to know these docs for the next four years?

2. I've always known that I'd prefer a school with an undergrad campus, and UCLA's is amazing. Nicer, more relaxed, and more things to do. Is it a big deal that UCSF doesn't have one, and that it's pretty much a collection of buildings on a street?

3. Is it just me, or did you guys that interviewed also feel that UCSF had way more hardcore science people that meant business, whereas at UCLA there just seemed to be a more relaxed vibe? Maybe it had to do with a lack of an undergrad campus?

4. The age of the class is also huge. I know that UCSF is heavy on the non-trads that are married, have families, etc. I'm coming out of college, and still want want to go out to parties/bars/clubs etc. wherever I'm at. Am I going to be in the minority? Really I kinda want an extension of college in this sense. I didn't go to second look at SF since I got off High Priority, so I didn't meet anyone in the incoming class. Those who went, what did you guys think of next year's class?

5. Since I couldn't go to second look, if I get a chance visit SF again, what do you guys who go there suggest I do to get a better feel for the school?

Any input would be appreciated, and I really hope you guys all get what you want as we get closer to ending this ridiculous process. Live it up kids haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you go to LA? It appears that is where you want to go. What are your questions?