This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sportsmedhopeful

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am making a resume because I want to apply to do some research/internships next summer at different universities/clinics. What should I put for the objective??? I'm hoping to go into orthopedics and sports medicine but most of these internships/research opportunities are biomed research, immunology, cell biology, genetics, etc etc but I still am interested in doing these for experience even if I am not going into a biomed field or research field. Or should I skip the objective all together? Also, I have kind of a subpar resume, so how can I build it up to be able to compete and apply for these positions?

Members don't see this ad.

Objectives have become outdated. Skip it.

Your objective is to get the job you are applying for and it takes up space that you could be using to actually have a resume.

It may benefit you to mention (as one thing) what you've done in lab class if your resume is weak right now.

Reactions: 6 users
Include that information on the cover letter if you are providing one

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with the above, an objective is outdated. I forget the number, but I remember reading that on average a resume gets looked at for ~10 seconds before a decision is made to keep looking or to trash it. An objective does nothing but waste space and time.

Reactions: 2 users
I still do "objectives" for my resumes, but mainly to separate the versions of my resume for different purposes (e.g. obtain a LOR, applying for a scholarship)

Just a one-sentence description of your goal will do. Don't put more than a few lines. I learned that lesson hard.

Reactions: 1 user