OBGYNS making over 400K

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PELE#10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just on a website that had updated incomes for all specialities based on 1,2,and 3 years out of residency. It had listed for obgyn over 400k. Is this possible. I was under the impression that OBGYN was one of the lower paying fields in medicine today.

Can anyone give some input to this and maybe give some real numbers 1,2,3 years out?
THanks

Members don't see this ad.

Could you please post a link to the website. THANKS!!!!

PELE#10 said:
I was just on a website that had updated incomes for all specialities based on 1,2,and 3 years out of residency. It had listed for obgyn over 400k. Is this possible. I was under the impression that OBGYN was one of the lower paying fields in medicine today.

Can anyone give some input to this and maybe give some real numbers 1,2,3 years out?
THanks

Sorry, I have to make a correction. THe website has it posted that after 3 years obgyn's are in the 200-300k range and that the max amounts are greater than 400k

http://www.allied-physicians.com/salary_surveys/physician-salaries.htm

check the website out for yourself.

all the best!

Members don't see this ad :)
1st - I am not sure if this is before or after malpractice insurance.
2nd - if it is after insurance: which premium do they use (FL, IL, PA, etc... you get the drift)
3rd - you are looking at the max income column - this column reflects few people that are at the top of the field holding multiple positions and some working schedules you don't want period.
4th - remember this is a very non scientific poll.
Finally - I personally know Family practice people that make easily over 1M, working in rural areas where they do everything.

Overall averages give a better income estimates... everything else is just silly :)

PELE#10 said:

THanks

An ob/gyn I recently spoke with said the LOWEST paid in her practice of 8 physicians was 300. The highest was >600. Yes shocking

kam730 said:
An ob/gyn I recently spoke with said the LOWEST paid in her practice of 8 physicians was 300. The highest was >600. Yes shocking

What area of the country, if you don't mind?

I know a resident that was just offered $500k. This is a rural area in the mid atlantic.

ob/gyn's are routinely offered 400k starting salaries according to the fellows in our program. but along with the money comes a price. they are sometimes boutique/private positions without the coverage of a fellow, a resident, and intern. have fun dealing with call without them. 400k is great but if you have no time to spend it, it may potentially be worthless. food for thought.

I believe if you work solo practice and are on call 24/7 and do a ton of OB then you might make that much money. I agree with most everyone in that there is a price to pay for making a lot of money and that is you work like a dog and take call all the time and most likely you're in an area where there isn't a huge supply of OB's hence less competition for patients.

I am also wondering if these salaries are before or after malpractice (which can be up to 100,000 in some states), anybody know?

randomedstudent said:
I am also wondering if these salaries are before or after malpractice (which can be up to 100,000 in some states), anybody know?
The salaries posted should include malpractice coverage. Most groups in Fl for example which has one of the area's highest malpractice rates of $224,000/yr include malpractice in their salaries which range from $200-300 in SW Florida. However there is a trend in these states to go without malpractice simply place 500K in a secured account to use for malpractice claims and advertise this to clients. You would need to review each contract in detail there are some rural areas which will pay upwards of $400K to attract an OB to their area with the downside of 24/7 call.

i'm not a med student quite yet (i'm applying now), but i just thougt i would put my two cents in. my father in-law is an ob/gyn, and though he has scaled back his practice in the last couple of years, at his peak he was making about 800-900 thousand. he lived in a small southern town at the time and was working his butt off to pay off some debts (long story). like i said, for him this was a unique situation because he needed more money, but it's nice to know you can make that kind of dough if you have to.:)

i'm not a med student quite yet (i'm applying now), but i just thougt i would put my two cents in. my father in-law is an ob/gyn, and though he has scaled back his practice in the last couple of years, at his peak he was making about 800-900 thousand. he lived in a small southern town at the time and was working his butt off to pay off some debts (long story). like i said, for him this was a unique situation because he needed more money, but it's nice to know you can make that kind of dough if you have to.:)
Yeah, but I bet at his peak was in the 80's or early 90's when malpractice and HMO's weren't that bad and there was money to be made in OB-GYN. I could be wrong, but I'm just guessing. I seriosly doubt you can make that kinda money now.

Actually I have had a couple friends doing MFM fellowships tell me that thay are getting offers like 300-400 grand after they graduate. In my experience most of the starting salaries are at 200 grand. There are certain locations, an mostly rural areas that are offering like 300 grand depending on experience. Some of the really busy docs in my area made about 300-500 grand last year. They are established solo docs who are busy as hell in the office. They complain all the time how reimbursement is getting lower and they don't know why they work twice as hard now for less money. I have a friend who's brother is in a partnership with 2 other docs and he has 2 midwives working for them and he makes like 450 grand a year. The group does like 1000 deliveries a year and they have like a monopoly on the patients in the area b/c they are the best and everyone wants to go to them. He works in a semi rural area in florida. I believe salaries are supposed to be a little higher in the southern states. Anyways, like people have said before, you can make money as an Ob-Gyn but you'll have to sacrifice your free time and social life and just work everyday of the year. Most people nowadays are more interested in quality of life than another 100 grand in salary.