OBGYN Residency with low COMLEX I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOitright777

Reaction score
Hi! So here is my story. I took my COMLEX I and failed the first time, took it again and made 461 the second time. I am finishing my third year, and I am very interested in applying to an OBGYN residency. I have not taken USMLE, and I’m studying for my COMLEX CE & PE now. Some states I would love to get into residency are Florida, Texas, Louisiana, California, Georgia, New York, or Alabama. I have heard some students and faculty say not to take the USMLE and some have said I should. It would be good if I did not have to take it. Is it possible to match into a residency program if I make a high/higher score of COMLEX II? Are there any CA residency programs that take lower COMLEX scores? Has anyone ever experienced this? Thanks guys in advanced.

Members don't see this ad.

OBGYN has gotten a lot more competitive the past few years. Would not advise applying OB without a backup given a board failure, a low retake score, and no step 1. California is probably out of the question IMHO.

Given your comlex I failure idk if i would advise you take step I either, failing that would look worse. However, if you can study for it and get a high score, you’d be in a better position for OB than you are now.

Reactions: 1 users
you can apply to OB, but you really need to dual apply to a lot of FM programs as a back up. OB is decently competitive now.

You need to stop worrying about matching in specific states, and focus on matching at all.

Reactions: 7 users
Hate to piggy back off this. But let’s say you had a lower 500s score, no USMLE, average student and a lot of extra curriculars. Could you match OBGYN somewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hate to piggy back off this. But let’s say you had a lower 500s score, no USMLE, average student and a lot of extra curriculars. Could you match OBGYN somewhere?

Low 500s is <50%-tile right? Probably have a chance but you’d need backups too. If you can take step 1, that would help immensely.

No chance unless you do a ton of aways (min 4-5), assuming that you don’t get screened out of VSAS by no USMLE. Be prepared to apply to all OBGYN programs on VSAS to get 4-5 aways.

Even then, that’s a reach. You need to pop >220 Step 1 to secure OBGYN as a DO.

No chance unless you do a ton of aways (min 4-5), assuming that you don’t get screened out of VSAS by no USMLE. Be prepared to apply to all OBGYN programs on VSAS to get 4-5 aways.

>220 to secure OBGYN? So if my NBME average is lower than that I shouldnt take it? Aiming to take it during break, a little scared of it doing more harm than good.

>220 to secure OBGYN? So if my NBME average is lower than that I shouldnt take it? Aiming to take it during break, a little scared of it doing more harm than good.

It's def not good. But your chances are close to nil without a USMLE.

You definitely shouldn’t take it if you cant get that on NBMEs.

Reactions: 1 user
You definitely shouldn’t take it if you cant get that on NBMEs.
Not a hard set rule, depends on the person. I did much lower on my 2 NBMEs than the real thing. And since we don't have good data on this and everyone just throws out their anecdotes, I'll throw mine out there as well. I'd average your NBMEs with your UWORLD self assessments and see where you're at.

Also, risk tolerance. I definitely risked it and it paid off. Will it for you? I hope so.

Not a hard set rule, depends on the person. I did much lower on my 2 NBMEs than the real thing. And since we don't have good data on this and everyone just throws out their anecdotes, I'll throw mine out there as well. I'd average your NBMEs with your UWORLD self assessments and see where you're at.

Also, risk tolerance. I definitely risked it and it paid off. Will it for you? I hope so.

I did worse than my NBMEs which is why i caution it.

I think Im just going to apply really broadly and see what happens. Thanks for all the advice guys <3.

Members don't see this ad :)
OBGYN is competitive.
  • To be competitive, a score of 235 and above on both the USMLE Step I and Step II CK.
  • USMLE Step II CS must be passed prior to Match.
  • Results of the USMLE Step II CK must be received by Feb. 15, 2020, for the application to be considered for the rank list.
For our Osteopathic Applicants and the COMLEX/USMLE

• USMLE is preferred as it can be difficult to compare COMLEX and USMLE scores.
  • You are NOT required to take USMLE.
  • For those only taking the COMLEX, to be competitive a score of 625 and above for both Level 1 and Level 2.

OBGYN is competitive.
  • To be competitive, a score of 235 and above on both the USMLE Step I and Step II CK.
  • USMLE Step II CS must be passed prior to Match.
  • Results of the USMLE Step II CK must be received by Feb. 15, 2020, for the application to be considered for the rank list.
For our Osteopathic Applicants and the COMLEX/USMLE

• USMLE is preferred as it can be difficult to compare COMLEX and USMLE scores.
  • You are NOT required to take USMLE.
  • For those only taking the COMLEX, to be competitive a score of 625 and above for both Level 1 and Level 2.

This is for one program. I was checking Freida, Im going to aim for programs in my COMLEX score range.

Does anyone know if you need to do research in order to get into an OBGYN residency? and if so, does it need to be related to the field or can it be on health disparities or something non-related?

Does anyone know if you need to do research in order to get into an OBGYN residency? and if so, does it need to be related to the field or can it be on health disparities or something non-related?

Need? No. Research is never a negative though and can only help, although how much will vary depending on a number of factors.

I just wanted to thank you. You kind of scared me a little so I held off doing step 1 till I could pop a 220. I feel alot safer matching OBGYN now!

I just wanted to thank you. You kind of scared me a little so I held off doing step 1 till I could pop a 220. I feel alot safer matching OBGYN now!
I notice this thread is a little old. For anyone who is still looking for away rotations/subI's, be advised they will be as rare as a unicorn this academic year.

I notice this thread is a little old. For anyone who is still looking for away rotations/subI's, be advised they will be as rare as a unicorn this academic year.
Reaching out to program directors directly has been a little more helpful than VSAS, I dunno if thats universal though

Hi! So here is my story. I took my COMLEX I and failed the first time, took it again and made 461 the second time. I am finishing my third year, and I am very interested in applying to an OBGYN residency. I have not taken USMLE, and I’m studying for my COMLEX CE & PE now. Some states I would love to get into residency are Florida, Texas, Louisiana, California, Georgia, New York, or Alabama. I have heard some students and faculty say not to take the USMLE and some have said I should. It would be good if I did not have to take it. Is it possible to match into a residency program if I make a high/higher score of COMLEX II? Are there any CA residency programs that take lower COMLEX scores? Has anyone ever experienced this? Thanks guys in advanced.
Did you match?