OBGYN & palliative care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myth_20

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience going into the hospice/palliative care field from OB/GYN? What kind of opportunities are available afterwards?

Members don't see this ad.

I had an attending in medical school who had done fellowships in both GYN-ONC and palliative. She was primarily practicing GYN-ONC, with her palliative skills being just a bonus. I'm not sure about actually using both in a more concrete way.

I'll let others chime in if they've heard of anything.

Reactions: 1 user
I had an attending in medical school who had done fellowships in both GYN-ONC and palliative. She was primarily practicing GYN-ONC, with her palliative skills being just a bonus. I'm not sure about actually using both in a more concrete way.
I'll let others chime in if they've heard of anything.

That role would make sense, but what if you are just generalist ob/gyn trained, can you even see both male/female pts after fellowship? Maybe practically I would just have to be a really niche pallitive care physician that works with gyn onc patients?

I am going to try for onc fellowship but the match rate is very low. I want to have a career that deals with end of life issues, so was thinking of this as another way I could get there

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve met a few OB/GYN + palliative care-trained docs who now do palliative care full-time. They see male and female patients.

If you’re interested in EOL issues, then I think palliative fellowship could be a good fit!

If you do a fellowship and wish to practice HPM, your job opportunities will be the same as everyone else that did HPM fellowship (sans those occasional positions that specifically want IM/FM background -- often those are hybrid positions where the doc will also function within IM/FM realm, or just an ignorant creator of the listing).

If you wish to practice OBGYN and HPM, your best bet is to be at an academic center. You would likely be hired for a OBGYN position and could negotiate some FTE toward HPM duties (if they are open to it).

For example in my fellowship there were physiatrists, psychiatrists, hematologists, and pain medicine docs that would all rotate random weeks on our consult service as they were split between their primary field and small FTE worth of HPM duties. All of those folks did HPM fellowship.

What sort of career do you want?

Reactions: 1 user
I know one OB/GYN who did an HPM fellowship and now does 50/50 OB/Inpatient Palliative. I know another who does GYN Onc + Palliative.

As stated above, someone trained primarily in OB/GYN will have mostly the same HPM opportunities as others after successfully completing a fellowship.