Obama Wealth Redistribution Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, I get that our initial investment into our profession is high. I get that more than most people. However, if make enough money to even qualify for increased tax cuts, then that will be amazing. So many physcians don't.I don't know anything about small rpivate practice business. But, for those who make $300+ and who are complaining that they "worked hard" so many people bust their ass and still can't feed their family. Plus, if the rest of the country goes to hell, then investments, etc go with, so it is in everyone's best interest to not be so self-centered. We don't live in a vacuum.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I get that our initial investment into our profession is high. I get that more than most people. However, if make enough money to even qualify for increased tax cuts, then that will be amazing. So many physcians don't.I don't know anything about small rpivate practice business. But, for those who make $300+ and who are complaining that they "worked hard" so many people bust their ass and still can't feed their family. Plus, if the rest of the country goes to hell, then investments, etc go with, so it is in everyone's best interest to not be so self-centered. We don't live in a vacuum.

We clearly do not live in a vaccum. That doesn't mean that one particular group needs to take a disproportionate hit for the "public good" It also doesn't mean that I personally believe that any of these "rolled back tax cuts" will do anything but take even more money out of the struggling private sector and redistribute it back to the same people who haven't been able to balance a budget but once in the last 50 years. The concept that we should be so priveleged to give away hard earned money is ridiculous. Busting one's behind to work hard is laudable, but working smart should also be rewarded. Progressive taxation is simply a punishment for working hard and/or smart. Wealth income gains are placed under capital gains. Making money because you're already wealthy is taxed at MUCH lower rates than working for money. Of course it is. The politicians make money with capital gains. I'm all for a flat tax where we can all take a proprtional hit. Then, when everyone's wallets are open, we can all decide whether we really need the government to do whatever it is that we're voting on. If we couple that by limiting deficit spending, I think that it would do wonders to control waste, as everyone would be a little more critical of something if they had to pay for it.

As an aside, does anyone else find it funny that there was such severe criticism of the incompetent handling of the automanufacturing by the same people who have been incompetently running the country. I'm obviously against a bailout, but since the government is broke, they're really coming down against them about giving away my money that I will be paying back on credit through taxation for the rest of my life. Does anyone else notice that the government has no money to bail out anyone with?

You know, I'm not an economist, so I'm just going to make one comment. Something to think about. The idea that if you don't have money you clearly don't work "smart" is ridiculous. That's what, to me, it sounded like was being said. Think about a school teacher forexample. They make nothing, but work their butt off. They deserve some to be able to feed their kids. My point was that many many doctors will never come close to making enough money to be taxed more. They are the ones who will really struggle to get out of debt, and they will benefit from the extra help.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know, I'm not an economist, so I'm just going to make one comment. Something to think about. The idea that if you don't have money you clearly don't work "smart" is ridiculous. That's what, to me, it sounded like was being said. Think about a school teacher forexample. They make nothing, but work their butt off. They deserve some to be able to feed their kids. My point was that many many doctors will never come close to making enough money to be taxed more. They are the ones who will really struggle to get out of debt, and they will benefit from the extra help.

The school teacher example is age old. One could very well make the argument that being a school teacher isn't "working smart" in many instances. Some districts support school teachers more than others, and teaching is a perfect example of what happens when the government takes over an industry. I am EXACTLY saying that from a financial perspective, working hard and not making enough money to feed yourself is not working smart. People who choose to accept a position for some other purpose than making money are clearly within their right to do so, and I am certainly not saying that making money is the only reason to work. However, none of this justifies a dispropotionate tax on a certain group of people.

My wife is a former teacher. They are often underpaid, but her problem wasn't so much with her paycheck as with the beauracracy she had to put up with to do anything. Teaching pay is actually not horribly dissimilar to what other jobs that require similar training pay. Starting teachers down here in south Florida begin right around $40k/year, which is about average for someone with a bachelors degree. They work hard early in their careers and it gets easier as they move along with often pre-made lesson plans. They often get summers off, as well as most student breaks, and they never lose a weekend unless they choose to create an assignment that requires weekend grading. It is nearly impossible to get fired, the standards to get the job are relatively low, and there is always someone to replace you when you are sick. There is no call, hours at work are less than 40 (Though a lot of work is taken home), and you never miss a holiday. There is no malpractice, you are usually protected by a union, and raises, while small, are promised.

I'm not advocating underpaying teachers, but I will clearly argue that there are vast differences between teachers and physicians. More importantly, these differences do not change the fact that working for less than you are worth is not smart and that social goods shouldn't be funded by selectively attacking a specific successful social class. The fact that the government makes working as a teacher not a smart financial move due to funding is a clear argument that the government doesn't understand money and should pay more for quality. It is not an argument that we should pay more because other people choose to take a job that doesn't pay well.

As another aside, all income based points to set a higher tax rate at are arbitrary and bogus. Every single person in the US with a minimum wage job makes more money than the VAST majority of people on earth. Most of us are overflowing with luxuries that we call necessities. We simply beg for what we need while paying for what we want. I don't know a teacher outside of a few overpriced metros without a car, a cell phone, a place to live that is atleast decent, air in the summer, heat in the winter, and the ability to go out a few times per week. By this argument, we should all feel lucky to do so well and happily turn all of money over to the government for whatever it deems necessary.

Last edited:
We clearly do not live in a vaccum. That doesn't mean that one particular group needs to take a disproportionate hit for the "public good"...

As an aside, does anyone else find it funny that there was such severe criticism of the incompetent handling of the automanufacturing by the same people who have been incompetently running the country. I'm obviously against a bailout, but since the government is broke, they're really coming down against them about giving away my money that I will be paying back on credit through taxation for the rest of my life. Does anyone else notice that the government has no money to bail out anyone with?

You have to love getting it from both sides. The bankster parasites who have gamed the system want thier piece of your paycheck, and the "downtrodden," who may or may not actually have every done anything useful for society, want theirs. And the politicians act like heros who rush in to save them all--with our money.

Last edited:
You have to love getting it from both sides. The bankster parasites who have gamed the system want there peice of your paycheck, and the "downtrodden," who may or may not actually have every done anything useful for society, want theirs. And the politicians act like heros who rush in to save them all--with our money.

QFT.

Yep, this year has really been the last straw for me.

RonPaul500px.jpg

sorry to get off topic, but this is a big pet peeve of mine. Most teachers actually do quite well on a per hour basis. Friends of mine who graduated with teaching degrees at the same time I graduated with my bio degree who entered the job market when I entered med school make almost the same as I make as a resident to work about 1/3 the hours I work per year. Remember they only work 9-10 months out of the year and this still have several more weeks of built in vacations during the school year. Additionally there are tons of overtime opportunities, like if they chose to stay until, say, 4 pm and do a little after school babysitting, instead of leaving at 2:30. Being a teacher is not easy, I know, I used to be a sub. But the pay really is not that bad.

sorry to get off topic, but this is a big pet peeve of mine. Most teachers actually do quite well on a per hour basis. Friends of mine who graduated with teaching degrees at the same time I graduated with my bio degree who entered the job market when I entered med school make almost the same as I make as a resident to work about 1/3 the hours I work per year. Remember they only work 9-10 months out of the year and this still have several more weeks of built in vacations during the school year. Additionally there are tons of overtime opportunities, like if they chose to stay until, say, 4 pm and do a little after school babysitting, instead of leaving at 2:30. Being a teacher is not easy, I know, I used to be a sub. But the pay really is not that bad.

Yea and they don't have between two and three hundred thousand dollars in debt... I concur.