Obama to end invation in Iraq - bad for military dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Single Mom DDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
President Obama on Friday promised to end the invasion in Iraq in 18 months. I'm glad that our commander in chief decided to end the brutal military mission that killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians in order to find weapons of mass destruction that never existed.

However, he also mentioned that U.S. force numbering between 35,000 to 50,000 would stay behind in non-combat roles (dentists and doctors). Does that mean that more Army dentists are going to be needed in Iraq and are we going to be deployed for more than our usual 12 months with minimal protection from combat soldiers? Also, will the dentists have to be out on convoys all the time in order to carry out humanitarian missions in Iraq? How can dentists survive when there aren't any soldiers left to protect them?

Any thoughts on this?

Everybody loves "SingleMomDDS"

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
yeah i have a thought. most of the people on this military dentistry forum are pro military, so i think that you would get a more positive response using less hostile words about the government and what we are doing over there. you dont have to agree with it, the soldiers didnt choose to go there but whats done is done and bashing people wont help or solve anything. people that i know didnt die so that you could make posts in the manner that you have. . . well maybe they did.

i apologize you just came off as that type of person i guess, maybe its me. but like i said if you signed the contract, you just have to put the faith in the government knowing that the people running it are just like you and me. . . people.

Members don't see this ad :)
President Obama on Friday promised to end the invasion in Iraq in 18 months. I'm glad that our commander in chief decided to end the brutal military mission that killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians in order to find weapons of mass destruction that never existed.

However, he also mentioned that U.S. force numbering between 35,000 to 50,000 would stay behind in non-combat roles (dentists and doctors). Does that mean that more Army dentists are going to be needed in Iraq and are we going to be deployed for more than our usual 12 months with minimal protection from combat soldiers? Also, will the dentists have to be out on convoys all the time in order to carry out humanitarian missions in Iraq? How can dentists survive when there aren't any soldiers left to protect them?

Any thoughts on this?

Everybody loves "SingleMomDDS"

Perhaps you should listen to the speech again. Here is what was actually said:

President Obama said:
After we remove our combat brigades, our mission will change from combat to supporting the Iraqi government and its Security Forces as they take the absolute lead in securing their country. As I have long said, we will retain a transitional force to carry out three distinct functions: training, equipping, and advising Iraqi Security Forces as long as they remain non-sectarian; conducting targeted counter-terrorism missions; and protecting our ongoing civilian and military efforts within Iraq. Initially, this force will likely be made up of 35-50,000 U.S. troops.

Through this period of transition, we will carry out further redeployments. And under the Status of Forces Agreement with the Iraqi government, I intend to remove all U.S. troops from Iraq by the end of 2011. We will complete this transition to Iraqi responsibility, and we will bring our troops home with the honor that they have earned.

Feel free to point out which function of the transitional force involves dentists and doctors convoying around Iraq on humanitarian missions.

Wouldn't these dentists be primarily Army dentists?

The actual number of dentist (and other support services) is based on how many combat soldiers are on the ground. If there 35,000 troops left behind then there would be less dentist, physicians, physical therapists, cooks, medics, etc than there are now. (As much as a third less) The Army won't send vast amounts of support soldiers for a humanitarian mission in Iraq.

Not to be a smart aleck or anything, but its spelled "invasion," not invation. This is a common word that should not be misspelled.

Not to be a smart aleck or anything, but its spelled "invasion," not invation. This is a common word that should not be misspelled.

Don't worry, you're not - as far as I know..."smart alec" is a more appropriate spelling.

Don't worry, you're not - as far as I know..."smart alec" is a more appropriate spelling.

The American Heritage Dictionary states otherwise. As far as I know, both spellings are appropriate. Have a nice day.

The American Heritage Dictionary states otherwise. As far as I know, both spellings are appropriate. Have a nice day.

Now who's the smart ass? Not you. Thanks for the rude PM though. If you knew the root of the saying, you'd understand that "smart alec" is more appropriate.

Hence STFU and stop crying over a misspelled word...it's an internet forum ya douche.

Have a nice day!