OB vaginal labor neuropathy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atlantastudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am hoping for some advice or suggestions of improvement. I’m still learning to balance medicolegal and clinical decision.

I’m doing my first vacay coverage locum stint at a rural county hospital. They don’t have MRI on weekends. I did a laboring epidural on a healthy, bmi25 , G1 without any kind of issues. Went quickly and easy. Worked great for 7hours, including through 3 hours of active pushing (no instruments). During pushing, she started feeling paresthesias and weakness in her right thigh with hip flexion which persisted with epidural off.

I didn’t find out until next morning when I came in for a scheduled c-section. On exam, she had numbness on that right leg and calf anteriomedially, and profound quad and some hip flexor and adductor weakness. Afebrile, no back pain or any other symptoms, already urinating on own, no Bm yet. WBC elevated at 19, but elevation could be typical post delivery and in setting of no fever, pain, and time line, I thought abscess less likely. Seemed mostly a femoral nerve involvement, but I hadn’t encountered her degree of motor loss before, so got a CT since MRI wasn’t available. My thought was if anything looked funky, I’d transfer her to the nearest place with mri and neurology/surgery.

My question is:
1. Would you have gotten any imaging in the first place?
2. Was the CT the right way to go? (Vs transferring her for mri). I could not find much on line, other than it was the modality of choice until mri came along. (The radiologist report was stone cold negative, no epidural hematoma or abnormal fluid collection.)
3. Would you still get an mri when it becomes available?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

1. No
2. See 1
3. Only if it persisted after several weeks post-delivery.

It is most likely transient and could be related to the 3 hours of positioning/pushing. I am more in the wait and see camp vs. the immediate imaging/neurosurgery consult camp.

Reactions: 1 user
1. No
2. See 1

It is most likely transient and could be related to the 3 hours of positioning/pushing. I am more in the wait and see camp vs. the immediate imaging/neurosurgery consult camp.
I agree with you and that's the right way to go about it. These parturients have all sorts of issues related to paresthesia and numbness and weakness. IT is usually related to long delivery in crazy positioning.

But,......... what if its an epidural hematoma..

Epi hematomas are usually not unilateral
This is where judgement comes into play....

Members don't see this ad :)
I probably would have pushed for the MRI. Low risk transfer for potentially high impact reversible disability. However if the CT is immediately available and is adequate per the radiologist to rule out hematoma, etc. that’s fine. If the report was full of “needs clinical correlation” “consider MRI” “can’t rule out...” stuff I’d want the MR. However those rural guys that aren’t used to having 57 advanced modalities don’t usually go recommending SPECT scans and PET MRIs.
Having said that, it’s almost certainly not from your epidural, and you knew that.
They’ll blame you anyway.
The patient will always say it was the epidural even if Emgs, MRIs, etc. prove otherwise.

Most likely stretch injury to the femoral nerve due to the extended pushing with legs over abducted.
People don't realize that when someone has a working epidural you can actually stretch nerves and cause injury without any feedback from the patient.
The symptoms may last weeks but she will get better.

Reactions: 3 users

Last edited:
Having said that, it’s almost certainly not from your epidural, and you knew that.
They’ll blame you anyway.
The patient will always say it was the epidural even if Emgs, MRIs, etc. prove otherwise.

I hate OB, oh wait - I’ve said that before

CT is not diagnostic for epidural hematoma. You can 100% have a clean CT scan for hematoma and have an MRI full of blood.

The lack of bilateral involvement is the biggest indicator that this was some sort of stretch and not a hematoma, but you shouldn't be comforted one bit by a clean CT.

Reactions: 1 users
1. No
2. See 1

Agree with this, of course using your clinical judgement the answer here is just reassurance. No imaging is required as long as you use your physical exam and history to rule out hematoma/abscess. No associated back pain over insertion site, motor weakness is not getting worse, patient does not look septic, white count is reasonable- it will be higher than normal after section.

You can get a neuro consult or pm&r consult if motor weakness is significant enough and mom wants someone to follow up with , remember she does need to go home and care for the baby.

This is more common than you think and of course everyone wants to blame anesthesia.

On this topic, what's your threshold for getting an MRI in someone who is having lingering motor weakness following an epidural? And do you remove the catheter first?

On this topic, what's your threshold for getting an MRI in someone who is having lingering motor weakness following an epidural? And do you remove the catheter first?

If there is some other red flag - worsening motor weakness ( bilaterally ) , severe worsening back pain, history of coagulopathy (hellp, pre-eclampsia) , incontinence I would get an mri.

laboring epidurals are usually pulled 1 hour after delivery at my institution, the patients usually still have some motor weakness and so the neuropathy that typically occurs from a prolonged stage 2 isn't discovered until they are on the post partum floor. if some reason the catheter is still in - most metal coil reinforced catheters packaging says not MRI compatible (however I have seen many cases where patients are sent to MRI with the catheters accidentally and nothing happened) so I would pull it first.