Ob Gyn fellowships in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drroberto

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how competitive Ob Gyn fellowships (eg Gyn Onc, REI, Urogyn) are in Canada?
Also, do they accept non-Canadians?
I am an Ob Gyn, a fellow of ACOG but the fellowship programs in America is extremely competitive.
Any input would be highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

hello everyone.I am from Bangladesh.I passed MRCOG part 1 on September 2013.May i get any opportunity to get residency trainig in obs and gynae from canada.What will i have to do?I will be highly obliged if any one give me any information regarding it

Gyn Onc training in Canada is really behind. Only one place has davincy. Yap, its unbelievable, since in the US most gyn onc do surgeries using the robot. Which many times is easier and better for the patient. Not sure if they have a Urogyn residency, but they do have a "laproscopic residency". Amazingly some places do not train residents to do laproscopic hysterectomies. As an OB/GYN resident in the US that is unfreaking believable. Sure you do many more open cases and more vag hysts (which are much better for patient) but still it blew my mind when i found that out. REI is pretty good in mcgill because of the law that was passed few years back that the government pays for first few tries of IVF.

Overall, all of them are still competitive (REI, GYN ONC), maybe more so than america. The reason for that is most spots are filled with inhouse candidates. Very similar to what happens in the US with REI in particular.

Members don't see this ad :)
hello everyone.I am from Bangladesh.I passed MRCOG part 1 on September 2013.May i get any opportunity to get residency trainig in obs and gynae from canada.What will i have to do?I will be highly obliged if any one give me any information regarding it

Not sure about the latest statistics but 2 years ago there were approximately 110 spots and 150 canadian medical graduates applied. That means 40 did not get an OBGYN spot. I dont think those statistics have changed. I hate to say never, but it is certainly a big big uphill battle to get a spot in Canada for obgyn. Not sure if that year any FMG even matched.

In the US it might be easier, but that said last year there were more American medical graduates who did not match in an OBGYN residency than ever before. Some american programs still do take some FMGs, but its super duper competitive and often times are middle of nowhere and/or community programs. To get a spot in them you should rock your USMLE 1 and 2 -- i would say at least 2 standard deviation (~240+). Also do away rotations, or "observerships" for FMG at these places if they allow. Again an uphill climb....

Does anyone know how competitive Ob Gyn fellowships (eg Gyn Onc, REI, Urogyn) are in Canada?
Also, do they accept non-Canadians?
I am an Ob Gyn, a fellow of ACOG but the fellowship programs in America is extremely competitive.
Any input would be highly appreciated.

I didnt realise that part. I really think this might not be possible. If it is possible, certainly it might be even harder. Let's say you have better chance in getting a residency in the US than Canada.

I didnt realise that part. I really think this might not be possible. If it is possible, certainly it might be even harder. Let's say you have better chance in getting a residency in the US than Canada.

I'm pretty sure they don't accept non-Canadians unless you are internationally funded trainee

Even to practice in Canada as an American grad, fully boarded, the intention must be to stay permanent.

I am pretty certain that you can't go to Canada JUST to do fellowship. Their regulations do vary from province to province, however its harder to get anything there just due to the mere volume or lack there of.

If I remember correctly for example. Canada only has 9 gyn-oncology spots throughout all its provinces. So you can imagine the competitiveness.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

To the second poster about obgyn residency, it is going to be pretty hard and an uphill battle unfortunately. In my opinion, Canada is NOT as easy in terms of medical applications as compared to the US.