OAT under 300?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsQ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm actually taking the OAT really soon and I had a question about the scoring.
Does anybody know if they will accept you at all if one section is below a 300? Is it even worth applying or are the averages more of an issue? I'm mainly looking into Pacific and Houston. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Im not an expert on those schools but you definately should still apply as long as it is at the beginning of the cycle. Also some schools will balance it for example if you got a low reading score but A's in english throughout ur university then its contendable, in my opinion. An its not just the oat they look at. They might accept you also pending that you retake the oat and get a higher school. it all depends on many factors.

Thank you. I take the OAT next week. I'll see how it goes and it gives me more hope to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I didn't apply to those schools. However, out of 6 schools I applied, SCCO is the only one requires all scores to be above 300. If you don't retake, they will just put your application in hold and wait until the deadline. Then they will send you a rejection letter. However, call admission office to find out first. I belive most schools only look at AA and TS.
I hope this helps.
Hello, I'm actually taking the OAT really soon and I had a question about the scoring.
Does anybody know if they will accept you at all if one section is below a 300? Is it even worth applying or are the averages more of an issue? I'm mainly looking into Pacific and Houston. Thank you!

I applied to UHCO and spoke to an admissions adviser beforehand. It is not a requirement to get a 300 on all subjects, however they do recommend that you do. One of my friends applied last year and her Biology was below 300 and she was accepted. There are a lot of other factors they look at besides the OAT scores.

I agree with Kaz's response regarding SCCO's minimum OAT requirements. This past summer, I attended a workshop at SCCO given by Dr. Munroe, the Director of Admissions, and she stressed that the minimum requirements for admission to SCCO is 300 on all sections of the OAT and an overall and science gpa of 3.0. I'm sure there may be exceptions, but she clearly stated that admissions would e-mail the applicants that didn't satisfy these minimum academic requirements.
For instance, if you scored 380 Total Sci, and 330 Academic Average, but your reading comprehension score was 270, then you might not get interview/accepted...admissions would email you a letter telling to retake the OAT to improve your reading comprehension score to at least a 300. I hope this clarifies some misconceptions.

Doing well on the OAT can only help you. Some school's might still let you in, but the OAT does carry a lot of weight in the admissions process.

There are no exceptions if any of your scores are under 300 you will not get an interview & they don't notify you about it till the end of the cycle. I wish SCCO publicly posted this on their website because its very misleading & I know a lot of people who fall under this category.

I agree with Kaz's response regarding SCCO's minimum OAT requirements. This past summer, I attended a workshop at SCCO given by Dr. Munroe, the Director of Admissions, and she stressed that the minimum requirements for admission to SCCO is 300 on all sections of the OAT and an overall and science gpa of 3.0. I'm sure there may be exceptions, but she clearly stated that admissions would e-mail the applicants that didn't satisfy these minimum academic requirements.
For instance, if you scored 380 Total Sci, and 330 Academic Average, but your reading comprehension score was 270, then you might not get interview/accepted...admissions would email you a letter telling to retake the OAT to improve your reading comprehension score to at least a 300. I hope this clarifies some misconceptions.