OAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stompy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering what type of OAT scores I would need to get into an optometry school provided I only have a science/math or overall GPA of 3.2, 3.1 approximately. Any insight would greatly be appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Stompy,
You have a respectable GPA. Get above a 310 overall on your OAT's and show interest/ enthusiasm in your personal statement and I GUARANTEE you- you will be accepted in 1 of the 17 schools of Optometry. In the private schools let them know how you will finance your education. They usually ask you this question in the interview.
Are you sure you want to become an optometrist? Look at the tuition per year/ living expenses/etc...... Optometric income has not been consistent in years and in direct proportion to the annual inflation. Also, I've seen less of job offers in my home state even in corporate optometry. The AOA will have you believe otherwise. I've been out for 10 years and salaries have been stagnant.
Think of your future finances and how you envision practicing Optometry once you graduate.
It's tough these days especially if you are going to be graduating with huge debt.

Good Luck!

RC

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey RC,
May I ask which is your home state? Also, does how my education be financed affect my admission to a private optometry school? Thanks for the reply.

NorthEastern state. It shouldn't affect your admission on how you finance your education. Those brilliant people who sit on the admissions committee of each Optometry School grant you a spot based on your merit.
Again you shouldn't have a problem gaining admission. They welcome you with open arms. It's not med school stompy and it's not Optometry school applications of the 80' and 90's.

Regards,

Hey RC,
Assuming I'm at the end of my second year in undergrad and my stated GPA, what would you suggest I aim for in terms of career? Thanks.

The only person that can answer your question stompy is you. Whatever in your heart you believe will one day make you happy. Make sure you want to help people to the best of your ability and you are a "people person." It will make your career and life alot easier. I've spoken negative about Optometry numerous times because this is how I feel of the past 2 years or so. You make a decent living. It's not a strenuous profession but know in comparison with our counterpart you'll always feel less of a true "eye doctor." Regardless of your work environment -clinic or working with OMD's you are still an optometrist. Our profession has come a long way but the public still doesn't know what are capabilities are within each state legislature of practice. Respect although at times you will get some nice compliments from your patients; overall, it's not there stompy. I should have listened to my father in ubndergrad when he told me why are you applying to optometry school? Why don't you become a doctor? Why do you want to sell glasses? It's hard trying to convince the public most of the times what we are. Perception goes a long way. Optometry has been good to me but I now realized these past few years I wanted more out of my career. Put in the time effort sweat heartaches and indeed you'll enjoy the fruit of your labor immensely afterwards if you want to choose ophthalmology. Spend weeks in a ophthalmology hospital observing MD's and do the same in OD's practice. see what you like and don't like. MD's work very hard emotionally and physically. Are you up to that challenge? Optometry school is the hardest it gets. After that- it's a realtively easy profession.

Warm regards,
RC

I am not an optometrist, I am a dentist - But I applied to Optometry school also, the same year I applied to dental school.
I had around a 3.5 gpa and scored well on the OAT - 340 math, 340 Reading, 350 Bio, 380 organic, 360 physics and around 360 overall.

I was not accepted to Optometry School - although I only interviewed at Ferris. They questioned me about applying to other professional programs and I was truthful and said I had also applied to dental school. I was waitlisted. Honestly, I think optometry is a great profession and I probably would have chosen it over dentistry at that time - but I am happy with being a dentist.

The point of this post is I don't think high OAT scores are that important to being accepted or are high gpas. Just show enthusiam and interest for optometry.

DrRob
Talk about being overqualified and not getting in. Wow. I guess the admissions committee questioned your motive/interest for applying to two different professions and that is why you were not accepted. I cannot comment on Ferris optometry school because I do not know anything about them but why didn't you apply to more schools of optometry?

I have to agree with Dr Rob- OAT scores and GPA don't always mean everything. I applied to OSU for the 1st time in 1997- it took me 4 attempts to get in. I had a cumulative GPA of 3.36 (with just about all A's the last yr & 1/2 before I applied) and a 360 on the OAT (with a 370 total science score) and didn't get in until the 4th attempt. I also applied to SCO once and didn't get in (didn't even make the alternate list)- I guess the interview did me in- the guy commented in my interview that I was very articulate, but I was fidgety- I guess me having Italian blood and talking with my hands did me in. Oh well, I have a GPA in the 3.35 range after one year at OSU and have at times got the top score on some of the exams.

I do think that it's easier to get in now than it was in 1997 when I first applied. I don't think it's had any affect on the quality of students, though- the class I'm in now is probably the brightest class to enter OSU in the last 15-20 years (has had consistently 7-10% higher averages on exams than previous classes).

OPT II
OSU College of Optometry
Class of 2006

TMPOH,
You gotta be kidding me? 4th attempt to get in? You allowed yourself three consecutive rejections before you got in? I'm shaking my head in dismay. I do not know anything about OSU admissions but why didn't you apply to other schools as well.
DrRob how do you know optometry is a great profession since you are a practicing dentist?
Tell me what is so great about being an optometrist?
Is it the high salary according to the AOA?
Enlighten me- I might have missed something these past ten years.

there is more to a great job than salary. ask me why i quit mine to go back and be an optometrist ? !

And for the un-informed on OD schools.. OSU is an EXTREMELY competitive OD school to get into. I admire TMPOH's determination to go after what he really wanted.

Reality Check - I have 3 friends who are optometrists and love what they are doing. As an undergrad I took several courses in sensory and motor physiology which mostly centered on the eye and I found them fascinating.

As for commenting on TMPoh's four attempts to get into optometry school - well it took me three attempts to get into dental school. What's the big deal? I am a 27 year old dentist now!

Absolutely no big deal. What did you do during those two years off? Research? took graduate courses? With a 3.5 and I assume you scored well on your DAT's where in the world did you get rejected from? Harvard Dental School? Admission to dental school 5-10 years ago (from my understanding) wasn't all that difficult.
Were in the world do you people apply to??????
I commend you for your effort and your perseverance.