O.S books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PC Rodriguez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to know if this book is worth buying:

Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Secrets by ~ A. Omar Abubaker DMD PhD , Kenneth J. Benson DDS.

Do you guys have any other reccomendation for books that would helpfull during the OS boards or residency.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Good for quick reference and quick facts in a question/answer format, but not a comprehensive source of everything (nor was it designed for that). We have likened it to pimp lube at times...

Off the top of my head (and some of these are $$$)

Marx oral pathology
Fonseca 3 volume
Andreoli and Carpenters essentials of medicine
Oral and Max Pthology by Neville
Misch implant book
a good anatomy book
Miloro (peterson) 2 volume omfs books

other topics would include Anesthesia, orthognathics/orthodontics, Surgical flaps, etc.

I know I am forgetting some

Members don't see this ad :)
Bifid Uvula put these as his recommendations for OS books in another forum

My favorites in no specific order...
Petersons 2 Volume
Fonseca 2 Volume Trauma
Fonseca 3 Volume Series
Baker... Flaps
Marx... Pathology
Ellis.... Approaches to the Facial Skeleton
Booth... Maxillofacial Trauma and Esthetic Facial Reconstruction
Booth... 2 Volume Maxillofacial Surgery
Sclar... Soft Tissue and Esthetic Considerations in Implant Therapy
Block... Color Atlas of Implant Surgery

Does anyone know where you can order a hard copy of the Peterson's text? I tried ordering on amazon and they only gave me vol. 2
.... so now looking for only vol. 1, I guess.

Bifid Uvula put these as his recommendations for OS books in another forum

My favorites in no specific order...
Petersons 2 Volume
Fonseca 2 Volume Trauma
Fonseca 3 Volume Series
Baker... Flaps
Marx... Pathology
Ellis.... Approaches to the Facial Skeleton
Booth... Maxillofacial Trauma and Esthetic Facial Reconstruction
Booth... 2 Volume Maxillofacial Surgery
Sclar... Soft Tissue and Esthetic Considerations in Implant Therapy
Block... Color Atlas of Implant Surgery

So future readers of this thread know, there are two version's of peterson's text:

1) Contemporary OMFS. By Peterson, Ellis, Hupp, Tucker. This is usually the one used in dental school courses.

2) Peterson's Principles of OMFS text's. By Miloro, Ghali, Larsen, Waite. This is 2 volumes and most resident's I know have this book.

Make sure you get the correct one when ordering your book.

Local Flaps in Facial Reconstruction by Shan R. Baker

Maxillofacial Surgery: 2-Volume Set by Peter Ward Booth

Maxillofacial Trauma and Esthetic Reconstruction by Peter Ward Booth

Color Atlas of Dental Implant Surgery by Michael S. Block

Andreoli,T.E. Andreoli and Carpenter’s Cecil Essentials of Medicine. 7th ed.: Elsivier: 2007

Bickley, L.S. Bates’ Pocket Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking. 6th ed.: Lippincott: 2009

Ellis, E., Zide, M.F. Surgical Approaches to the Facial Skeleton. 2nd ed. :Lippincott: 2006

Fonseca, R.J. Oral and Maxillofacial Trauma. 3rd ed. Vol 1-2: Elsivier: 2005

Fonseca, R.J. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2nd ed. Vol 1-3: Elsivier: 2009

Gomella, L.G., Haist, S.A. Clinician’s Pocket Reference. 11th ed.: Mc Graw Hill: 2007

Gregoret, J. Orthodontics and Orthognathic Surgery: Diagnosis and Planning: ESPAXS: 2003

Kaban, L.B., Troulis, M.J. Pediatric Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Elsevier: 2004

Hamilton, R.J. Tarascon Pocket Pharmacopoeia. 10th ed: Jones and Bartlett: 2009

Logan, B.M., Reynolds, P.A., Hutchings, R.T. McMinn’s Color Atlas of Head and Neck Anatomy. 3rd ed: Elsivier: 2004

Marx, R.E., Stern, D. Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology: A Rationale for Diagnosis and Treatment: Quintessence: 2003

Morgan, G.E., Mikhail, M.S., Murray, M.J.( Lange)Clinical Anesthesiology. 4th ed. Mc Graw Hill: 2006

Miller, R.D. Miller’s Anesthesia. 7th ed. Vol 1-2: Elsivier: 2010

Miloro, M. Peterson’s Princi ples of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2nd ed. Vol 1-2: BC Decker: 2004

Regezi, J.A., Scuibba, J.J. & Jordan, R.C. Oral Pathology: Clinical Pathologic Correlations. 5th ed: Elsiver:2008

Sclar, A.G. Soft Tissue and Esthetic Considerations in Implant Therapy: Quintessence: 2003

Does anyone know if the international version of Fonseca's Trauma is different than US version other than being a couple hundred dollars cheaper? Thanks.

Does anyone know if the international version of Fonseca's Trauma is different than US version other than being a couple hundred dollars cheaper? Thanks.

BUMP...Anyone...Bueller?...Voodoo economics...

If anyone is thinking about buying Peterson's OMFS (Miloro et al), I would consider waiting a few months. I just talked to one of the authors who informed me that the new edition is coming out this year.

I have a brand new fonseca 3 volume series still in its wrapping which i am looking to sell because i got an extra one. It is the newest and most comprehensive text on OMFS that has been recently published. It retails for about 500 dollars brand new on the major websites but im willing to sell it for less to a colleague. Id be willing to sell it for 400 dollars plus shipping. Please contact me with any inquiries at [email protected]

http://www.amazon.com/Oral-Maxillofacial-Surgery-3-MAXILLOFACIAL/dp/1416043896

Happy Studying!

-ben