O. Chem question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwied73

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im studying for the MCAT now, taking it on Sept. 6. First time around I got a 26M, 6PS 9BS 11VR. Needless to day I've really been focusing on physical science, but my O chem needs help too.

Sooo to all you MCAT wizards out there, are there any particular areas or topics in O chem I should focus on? As I've made my way through the Kaplan O. Chem stuff, it really seems that they go overboard on some of the O.Chem topics... thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I got a 6 in PS the first time around too, along with the 26 composite score (10 Bio 10 Verbal 6 PS).

Anyway as to Organic topics, I would say pay attention to oxidizing and reducing agents (Like LAH, the Jones reagent, all the different reactions which involve oxidation and reduction). This seems to be a popular topic on recent MCATs (it came up on my june 13th and my friends July 18th).

Best of luck with your retake (I am retaking september 5th btw)

Hey I got a 6 in PS the first time around too, along with the 26 composite score (10 Bio 10 Verbal 6 PS).

Anyway as to Organic topics, I would say pay attention to oxidizing and reducing agents (Like LAH, the Jones reagent, all the different reactions which involve oxidation and reduction). This seems to be a popular topic on recent MCATs (it came up on my june 13th and my friends July 18th).

Best of luck with your retake (I am retaking september 5th btw)

wow, that's crazy how we got the same score (with the same breakdown at least.) I figure if I can bump PS up by 3 and BS up by 1 I'll be in pretty good shape, and I'll apply with a 30. Good luck to you, too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Im studying for the MCAT now, taking it on Sept. 6. First time around I got a 26M, 6PS 9BS 11VR. Needless to day I've really been focusing on physical science, but my O chem needs help too.

Sooo to all you MCAT wizards out there, are there any particular areas or topics in O chem I should focus on? As I've made my way through the Kaplan O. Chem stuff, it really seems that they go overboard on some of the O.Chem topics... thoughts?

HAHA. awesome avatar.

Try focusing on the carbonyl compounds (carboxylic acids and its derivatives, aldehydes, ketones, etc) and all the reactions related to them.
You are bound to see questions on carbonyl compounds on every mcat.

Thanks, I'll do that. My weakest part of PS is O. Chem, (strange because i found that to be the easiest physical science in undergad), so even getting an extra 5 O. Chem questions right would really help.

Thanks, I'll do that. My weakest part of PS is O. Chem, (strange because i found that to be the easiest physical science in undergad), so even getting an extra 5 O. Chem questions right would really help.

o-chem (assuming you mean organic chem) is in the BS section..........?