This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melcs13

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
NYU vs Stony Brook vs Harvard Extension

Undergrad from a SUNY school: psychology and journalism major with a 4.0 GPA and 7 years of clinical research experience in neuropsychology and immunology

Sadly, price is an issue. From what I’ve researched, it seems like NYU has the best reputation and linkages. I would be putting a lot of pressure on myself to take out loans and link into NYU Med. However, I am confident in my ability to do well in classes and maintain a high GPA.

I live in NYC and I am from Long Island. I am balancing a chronic illness, so staying local to my doctors and family is important.

It seems like Stony Brook and Harvard Extension both have good reputations and better prices than NYU, but they are more informal and don’t have linkages. I know Stony Brook is excellent for sciences, but I am not sure if everyone knows this or if it’s just something that’s known in New York. I also know the lectures are quite large, which doesn’t thrill me. However, I’d prefer to stay in New York, which makes Harvard Extension not seem like the best option for me.

I am currently taking calc at a CUNY school and doing well, although I know CUNYs don’t have the best rep for sciences.

If anyone has any input on any of these programs, I would greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

I had a fantastic time taking prereqs at CCNY, actually, although registration is a nightmare. CCNY is locally known for the sciences and I also got offers from outside the region.

I wouldn't take on the substantial extra debt associated with NYU.

Reactions: 1 user
Your undergrad performance is stellar, so I don't think you need to worry too much about where you do your PB. Pick the cheapest option, demonstrate your mastery of the content through PB GPA + MCAT, and you will be as good as any applicant can be.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Very few folks end up qualifying for linkages - I would think long and hard if the *chance* at a linkage is worth thousands of dollars in debt that will accrue interest until after residency.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not from New York State or NYC. However! If I had your residency and the circumstances that you have with a chronic illness, I would probably want to be close to family. You can establish relationships with your future mentor(s) and teachers and keep them up-to-date about what you find interesting in the sciences/medicine. The links can still be made, but is it worth the debt on top of whatever health issues that may occur, and what expenses may accrue during medical school? I hear good things about Stony Brook, but it just depends ultimately where you'd be happiest living too.

Remember that you're a person first. There literally is no physician who didn't benefit from recognizing they had to take care of themselves, in order to do their jobs.

Reactions: 1 user