NYU vs. MWU IL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would you attend?

• NYU

• MWU

Results are only viewable after voting.

ineedaboosta

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was fortunate enough to be accepted into these two schools, and now I need to decide where to attend! There are pros/cons for both, and I'll list them out below:

NYU
Pros:

Well established
Great clinical education
Living in NYC

Cons:
Expensive
Huge class size
Traditional didactics/exams

Midwestern Illinois
Pros:

Smaller class size
Block curriculum
CoL is cheaper
Suburb, but still close enough to a big city

Cons:
Fairly new program (not sure how alumni are doing after graduating)

Any input for both of these schools would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
save money where you can

what do you like about mwu il?
Hi, sorry for getting back late.
For me I like MWU-IL because I prefer cold over the Arizona heat. I'm not a big city person so Chicago suburb is ideal for me. The down side is that it is a little pricey though (of course not as crazy as NYC). The faculties are very friendly and nice here and the class size is about 130. There are some researches going on but I can imagine not as many as NYU.
Please lmk if you have any specific questions!

Last edited:
For me I like MWU-IL because I prefer cold over the Arizona heat. I'm not a big city person so Chicago suburb is ideal for me. The down side is that it is a little pricey though (of course not as crazy as NYC). The faculties are very friendly and nice here and the class size is about 130. There are some researches going on but I can imagine there are not that many opportunities available comparing to NYU.
Have you had to pay anything else out of pocket for MWU? Or is everything required by the school included in the tuition?

Have you had to pay anything else out of pocket for MWU? Or is everything required by the school included in the tuition?
You mean laptops, lecture notes (optional), loupes, etc?

Laptop was included in my loan amount, as well as loupes.
Lecture notes I bought them at the book store ($20 ish) per class. You don't have to buy them because professors upload lecture presentations on Black Board.

Lecture notes I bought them at the book store ($20 ish) per class. You don't have to buy them because professors upload lecture presentations on Black Board.
One more thing. Do you know what MacBook they'll be making us buy for next year?

Reactions: 1 user
One more thing. Do you know what MacBook they'll be making us buy for next year?
We have the Macbook Pro Retina 13 inch. I think it should be the same for next year but maybe a newer version (not sure).

on the fee breakdown paper it says its around 3,800 for books and supplies. Is that just an estimate to account for loans?

on the fee breakdown paper it says its around 3,800 for books and supplies. Is that just an estimate to account for loans?
I'd borrow the amount that they recommend (for the first quarter at least) and then before reimbursement for each quarter you can ask the financial aid office to either increase or decrease your loan amount. I don't really know how much I need to borrow for the year really so I just ask for a specific reimbursement amount for each quarter (after they automatically pay the tuition part).

Go to MWU. It's a much smaller school and better focus on teaching. NYU is a huge zoo and it is a cesspool of bad and OLD faculty. Students are mistreated and you are treated as a statistic. You'll have a better learning experience at MWU.

I don't know anything about MacBooks, but is the 2016 version bad?
I wouldn't say bad, but it only has USB C ports so you would need adapters for standard USB ports or SD card slots, which is more of a hassle. It definitely is thinner and looks a lot nicer though

Go to MWU. It's a much smaller school and better focus on teaching. NYU is a huge zoo and it is a cesspool of bad and OLD faculty. Students are mistreated and you are treated as a statistic. You'll have a better learning experience at MWU.
Thanks, I ended up choosing MWU!

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks, I ended up choosing MWU!

Congrats!!

Based on everything I've heard about the MWU and NYU "brands," I would have made the same decision you did.

Reactions: 1 users
For me I like MWU-IL because I prefer cold over the Arizona heat. I'm not a big city person so Chicago suburb is ideal for me. The down side is that it is a little pricey though (of course not as crazy as NYC). The faculties are very friendly and nice here and the class size is about 130. There are some researches going on but I can imagine not as many as NYU.

Do students record lectures?

Do students record lectures?
Yes, for science classes (some of my friends record dental lectures too but I don't). It speeds up the studying process and many professors will straight out tell you:" This is what you need to know for the exam". It's helpful to re-listen if you don't understand something in lectures because they do teach at a fast pace.