nyu/ucsf/stanford/penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exeunt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just curious.. so what does it take to match into the top derm programs? obviously things like board scores, aoa, recs, pubs, etc. but i feel like most derm applicants are stellar in all the above requirements--so what does it take to get into these programs? is it mostly connections/aways/luck of the draw then?

Members don't see this ad.

Connections . . .

publish --> new research with new programs
oral presentations at AAD national meetings
win awards in dermatology
go on as many away rotations as you can and meet new programs
read as much as you can and know your dermatology.

thats probably a really good foundation. . . .

CONNECTIONS all the way! Unfortunately.

Bottom line: Like you said, everybody has the numbers, grades, pubs, etc. The more I get to know this process, it's all about who recommends you and who knows who. Blah. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
pretty much connections...it is how i nailed my spot...

You almost NEED to be coming from a "name brand" medical school (Ivy League school or the equivalent from regions across the country: Stanford, Emory, Vanderbilt, Duke, etc) if u r hoping to get into a "name brand" residency program like the ones u mentioned. Assuming u r, THEN top grades/scores, recs, publications matter.

You almost NEED to be coming from a "name brand" medical school (Ivy League school or the equivalent from regions across the country: Stanford, Emory, Vanderbilt, Duke, etc) if u r hoping to get into a "name brand" residency program like the ones u mentioned. Assuming u r, THEN top grades/scores, recs, publications matter.

Not true. I know plenty that came from top 50. I was not even at a top 25 school and received interviews form basically all "name brand" residencies ("name brand" is way overrated anyway). Many of my co-interviewers did not come from "name brand" medical schools either. They just started earlier and worked harder than the others around them.

A related aside:
Maybe people on this forum need to stop bashing the pre-meds that ask about derm...in my experience, those people that think about derm early and plan accordingly are way more set up if the go down that path. Better to explore early and if they decide against it so be it. There is no way in hell that a person who decided in their 3rd year about derm can compete on paper with someone that started early and got early mentoring on how to go about derm. A person who had mentorship will better prepare for the courses and the work needed for good grades, understand what needs to be done for effective step 1 studying, and understand that 3rd is subjective and play by the rules (instead of griping that it's subjective). They also get into research early. You do not need a name brand if you set yourself up but you do need good mentroship. People can still do really well or even excellent after deciding in the 3rd year. BUT, if you put someone that started early with amazing scores against someone that started later with amazing scores...the person that started early will get way more interviews.

Not true. I know plenty that came from top 50. I was not even at a top 25 school and received interviews form basically all "name brand" residencies ("name brand" is way overrated anyway). Many of my co-interviewers did not come from "name brand" medical schools either. They just started earlier and worked harder than the others around them.

A related aside:
Maybe people on this forum need to stop bashing the pre-meds that ask about derm...in my experience, those people that think about derm early and plan accordingly are way more set up if the go down that path. Better to explore early and if they decide against it so be it. There is no way in hell that a person who decided in their 3rd year about derm can compete on paper with someone that started early and got early mentoring on how to go about derm. A person who had mentorship will better prepare for the courses and the work needed for good grades, understand what needs to be done for effective step 1 studying, and understand that 3rd is subjective and play by the rules (instead of griping that it's subjective). They also get into research early. You do not need a name brand if you set yourself up but you do need good mentroship. People can still do really well or even excellent after deciding in the 3rd year. BUT, if you put someone that started early with amazing scores against someone that started later with amazing scores...the person that started early will get way more interviews.

Thanks for saying this!! :thumbup::)