NYU dental weed out? myth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iAiAiA

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to address something I've heard about NYU Dental...

Is it true that they accept a large class size but have a rigorous curriculum designed to weed students out?

It doesn't make sense to me... feel like losing students at the dental school level would hurt the school itself. It's just something I've heard and was curious about

Members don't see this ad.

If it's on SDN, is 99.9% true.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't believe they would intentionally want to weed students out (it doesn't benefit them to have students not graduate). Most likely the class size is just so large that it's inevitable some students end up failing.

Reactions: 6 users
Any dental school curriculum would be rigorous. There will be students who drop out for different reasons. Just like any other dental school, NYU is not trying to "weed out" students since it will be a loss of future tuition funds through the remediation process. Yet simultaneously, NYU do not wish to pass students and have a terrible passing rate on the dental boards.

Reactions: 1 users
well, i think it just comes down to statistics. more kids you have, more chances of people dropping out. all dental curriculum are rigorous and i don't think nyu would want to be known as a school that is "trying" to fail it's students.

if you are in dental school, then the dental school is trying to help you graduate to raise their stats not weed you out. weeding out was undergrad.

Myth. If you flunk out that's on you, I've looked at NYU coursework, it's tough but doable.

Reactions: 1 users
Thats not true. They need to get paid for their seat. No school wants to lose money. They do have a huge class size. But every person gives them 400K. They dont want to lose anyone, but they need to keep their reputation good, and their board numbers solid. They arent scared about dropping those who will reflect poorly on to their school.

Reactions: 1 user
The "weed out" is done before an application is stamped "accepted".

Reactions: 2 users
Stay away from all weed man, they do drug tests.

Reactions: 3 users