NYU Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
snowdrop said:
Hello Everybody!
I am excited to be a part of all those who have been accepted into NYU.
I got my acceptance letter today and have decided to take it! Gald to be among you guys.
BEST WISHES TO MY FUTURE CLASSMATES!!

SNOWDROP

Congratulations ........and celebrations......Snowdrop....all the best.... :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

congrats to all those who are accepted....
cant wait to meet all of you

dmmaster

hi there,hey pra 26, when did u receive the interview call letter?plz.can u post ur stats?i'm worried as i have'nt got any letter yet reply soon[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Stomat,

that was a great post.. it definetely gives us an idea as what should we expect at NYU and get us prepared :)
Do post us as well about the general things we might be doing at NYU.
Class schedual, timings, exams, etc

Regards,
Saira

stomat said:
Congratulations to all!!! You better be ready for the biggest fight in your life (D2 year in NYU is really very hard, especially after winter brake). But the good thing is that they will be increasing tension gradually, so you will get used to it. Enjoy your august orientation program; there is really nothing to worry about, except one exam –SAPL(Skills in Assessing the Professional Literature) you must pass it. Good luck, united we stand!!!

thank u for the info.could u give us little more details abt SAPL.what is it ?

please tell us how ur 1st year is?how do u feel abt the school?

thanks in advance. :) :thumbup:

And yes there is one more thing,
Since we will be requiring a Laptop computer, as the lady in the admission office said that when I called them up. They will be sending us information as what are the computer requirements etc. They prefer DELL and students can buy that at a concession price. So I want to know that if someone has a laptop computer which meets the requirements, do we still need to buy DELL laptop from them ? She didnt know much but I guess I have to wait for the mail to know more about it. So at NYU, do they have electronic books or something like that (since BU has that option) ? and can one skip that part and utilize the library or have their own hard copy books ? Or is it mendatory to buy the electronic books etc ?

Hi all! Sorry, don’t have much time to post. 1) You can have your own laptop 2) don’t buy Dell; many people complain about it, I have Compaq X1000 for the price they selling Dell!!! 3)You must buy e-books from them (Vitalbook), but 90% of exams questions from lectures. SAPL- you will be assessing the one of the epidemiology study, don’t worry, the whole august they will be teaching you how to do that. Take care!!!

Hi
Shaliraj, Gorur, Meetlife, and Dentalene for your wishes.
I am looking forward to meeting you all there too.

Shaliraj , my stats are
88, 3.54, 254 and ..... married.

any one from Hyderabad !

Snowdrop!

meetlife said:
Congratulations ........and celebrations......Snowdrop....all the best.... :thumbup:

THANK YOU.. { is missing in my previous post}

snowdrop said:
Hi
Shaliraj, Gorur, Meetlife, and Dentalene for your wishes.
I am looking forward to meeting you all there too.

Shaliraj , my stats are
88, 3.54, 254 and ..... married.

any one from Hyderabad !

Snowdrop!

stomat said:
Hi all! Sorry, don’t have much time to post. 1) You can have your own laptop 2) don’t buy Dell; many people complain about it, I have Compaq X1000 for the price they selling Dell!!! 3)You must buy e-books from them (Vitalbook), but 90% of exams questions from lectures. SAPL- you will be assessing the one of the epidemiology study, don’t worry, the whole august they will be teaching you how to do that. Take care!!!

Dell laptops are good..it's my opinion..........before you purchase any dell laptop ..check for the good deal........
you can find dell deals @ http://www.deals2buy.com/delldeals.htm
or any deals related web site..........check for good deal & grab good one.........
Good luck

Hi guys,

How many of you are permanant residents and have been approved federal pell grant? can any one tell me what is the next thing to do after you get the Student aid report?

snopwdrop

i dont think we r eligible for a fed.pell grant as we already have a bachelors degree.

after SAR we have to wait for the award letter from the university,i guess!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks shaliraj,
I called the financial aid counsellor and got the info! i was worried , cos i thought that was the only federal aid we can get!

snowdrop

shaliraj said:
i dont think we r eligible for a fed.pell grant as we already have a bachelors degree.

after SAR we have to wait for the award letter from the university,i guess!

hello,

i will be joining NYUCD this summer and looking for a female to share a 2 bed room apt around the NYUCD, gramercy area. If interested please contact me on SDN. thank you

ks1708 said:
hello,

i will be joining NYUCD this summer and looking for a female to share a 2 bed room apt around the NYUCD, gramercy area. If interested please contact me on SDN. thank you

congratulations ks1708

Hello all
I was reading some of your posts and thougth to give some inputs.
I am at the same stage last year as you all are at today. Yes I am in class of 2007.
First of all, about computers: buy whatever computer you want but go for the least weight you can get. Because if you are one of them who like to get their computer everyday at school, better be prepared for it and get the least weight and small laptop. And even if you are not going to bring laptop everyday still some days you will have to.
And about the vitalbook: there is no option whether to buy it or not. Fees for the vitalbook are already included in your tution fees and you will have to go for it and read it sometimes, or else buy some books on your own if you cann't read from vitalbook. But I guess its not a big deal becuase 95% of the times you will read lecutres only.
That's it for now and if you have any questions, don't hesitate.
smi

smi said:
Hello all
I was reading some of your posts and thougth to give some inputs.
I am at the same stage last year as you all are at today. Yes I am in class of 2007.
First of all, about computers: buy whatever computer you want but go for the least weight you can get. Because if you are one of them who like to get their computer everyday at school, better be prepared for it and get the least weight and small laptop. And even if you are not going to bring laptop everyday still some days you will have to.
And about the vitalbook: there is no option whether to buy it or not. Fees for the vitalbook are already included in your tution fees and you will have to go for it and read it sometimes, or else buy some books on your own if you cann't read from vitalbook. But I guess its not a big deal becuase 95% of the times you will read lecutres only.
That's it for now and if you have any questions, don't hesitate.

hi there
do you have any idea how many waiting list students are enrolled.i am on waitng list i don't know what should i expect. :confused:
smi
.by what time nyu will inform about the status.

Thank you so much smi for taking some time out. It was a great advice that you have given us.
Keep us posted about any other thing which you feel, we should know.

Regards,
Saira

:D i have an interview this month .are there still any seats available.what is the selection criteria

is any one coming for interview this month :thumbup:

my stat is 87%,253,3.7 what ar the chances to get in NYU
SAIRA PLEASE RESPOND

tooth man said:
SAIRA PLEASE RESPOND
All the Best......Take Care. :thumbup: :luck:

tooth man said:
is any one coming for interview this month :thumbup:

When? Also Plz find out about seat situation while you are there. Thanks

rahmed

hey toothman, when did u apply?& when did u receive the interview call letter?plz. respond soon,
prady.
tooth man said:
SAIRA PLEASE RESPOND

those who got selected this spring plz tell what qus do admission comittee ask & what they expect from us

hello toothman, when did u apply?& when did u receive the interview call letter?plz. respond soon,it will b really helpful!
prady.[/QUOTE]

Hello,
Sorry to some of you because I am not replying to your PM and instead thought to reply in the post as I thought it would be helpful for all here.
For housing: As I am living in NJ and commuting I dont have much idea about living in NY, but once you start at NYU you will get many people who live in queens, and brooklyn or newport or near. You can also get information about it if you browse this forum, becuase last year also this topic was discussed.
There is no dresscode in the school, you can not wear jeans in the clinic and some labs otherwise you can wear whatever you want. Scrubs are not mandetory.
As you start your school, after the orientation, the whole class will be divided in 3 batches and depending upon what batch you are in you will have evening labs.
The latest labs would be 8-30pm.
You will surely have 1 evening lab and may be 2.
Lecutres will be monday to thursday 3-5 and on friday 9-4.
Holidays, for the next year after you start, you will have thanksgiving break for 4 days, winter break for 2 weeks, spring break for a week in the march and then after the year end 2-3 weeks break.
I cannot tell you the exact dates except the thanksgiving which we know and the winter break will be last 2 weeks of December.

I hope it helps.
Smi

prady said:
hello toothman, when did u apply?& when did u receive the interview call letter?plz. respond soon,it will b really helpful!
prady.
[/QUOTE]

i applied in feb & recieved letter in march
when did u apply

hi toothman, i applied in oct.still waiting 4 d call!they told my application is under review,but they r gonna start corresponding soon. GOD only knows what it signifies!
i applied in feb & recieved letter in march
when did u apply[/QUOTE]

Hii TRV....I am a 2nd year dental student at nyu (from India). I am looking for a roommate --august onwards. If you are interested, would you let me know a little about yourself and what your budget etc is? I have looked at apartments that are a couple of minutes from school.
Thanx!

trv said:
Good Work Shaliraj... Following one is updated list........

1. greenemerald ---india

2. sreshta--- india

3. polident--- russian

4. mandent--- india

5. mandakki --India

6. som--- india

7. dr anie-- india

8. bluearmy--- india

9. parneet-- india

10. mary--- india

11. dreamzunlimited-- india

12. healthyteeth

13. trv --India

14. bluebirdy

15. georgian

16. jassi

17. bluetooth

18. pipchiks

19. saira --Pakistan

20. chinchintu

21. Dr.Gurprakash Bhattal

22. sweetgirl

23. dmmaster

24. hardwork80

25. zygomaticus

26. toothie

27. ramkumar india

28. SaruSaini india

This list represents more than 25% of the class, that is very good, Hope everyone joins NYU, I'd like to stay in New York, can anyone guide me to find out the right locations to stay near to the school.

hi PTA WHEN YOU HAD AN INTERVIEW & WHEN U GOT SELECTED ARE TRERE STILL ANY SEATS LEFT HERE? CAN YOU GUIDE ME I WILL BE APPERING FOR AN INTERVIEW SOON

fateh said:
.by what time nyu will inform about the status.
FATEH HOW HARD IS TO GET IN NYU.I WILL BE HAVING INTERVIEW

smi said:
Hello,
Sorry to some of you because I am not replying to your PM and instead thought to reply in the post as I thought it would be helpful for all here.
For housing: As I am living in NJ and commuting I dont have much idea about living in NY, but once you start at NYU you will get many people who live in queens, and brooklyn or newport or near. You can also get information about it if you browse this forum, becuase last year also this topic was discussed.
There is no dresscode in the school, you can not wear jeans in the clinic and some labs otherwise you can wear whatever you want. Scrubs are not mandetory.
As you start your school, after the orientation, the whole class will be divided in 3 batches and depending upon what batch you are in you will have evening labs.
The latest labs would be 8-30pm.
You will surely have 1 evening lab and may be 2.
Lecutres will be monday to thursday 3-5 and on friday 9-4.
Holidays, for the next year after you start, you will have thanksgiving break for 4 days, winter break for 2 weeks, spring break for a week in the march and then after the year end 2-3 weeks break.
I cannot tell you the exact dates except the thanksgiving which we know and the winter break will be last 2 weeks of December.

I hope it helps.
Smi

Thanks for taking the time to clear most of our doubts and for letting us know what to expect.Really appreciate that.
Also i would be very greatful if u could tell me how often we will be using the laptop.Is 6 cell battery enough? They say 6 cell okay for 2 hrs...is that enough r sd we go for 12 cell??Is there facility to use it with power outlet in school?If so i guess 6 cell should be fine...

Waiting to hear from u
Regards and thanks
Gorur

hiii KS....i'm already a 2nd year student at NYU, looking for a roomie in the same area.....could you tell me a bit about yourself....thanx!

ks1708 said:
hello,

Hi,

I am indian female, married and currently D2 student at NYU (class of 2007). I was planning to share apartment starting August 2005.

Let me know if any one is interested and we can discuss it further.

Thanks.

hi,
i would like to know when do we have to apply for the loan,i do not have a green card so do i have to apply for a loan right away or do i have to wait for the school to send me information regarding loan,i called nyu and they said they will be sending information regarding loan but i will be leaving to india in may and will be back only in july,so please can anyone help me
thanks anie

dr_anie said:
hi,
i would like to know when do we have to apply for the loan,i do not have a green card so do i have to apply for a loan right away or do i have to wait for the school to send me information regarding loan,i called nyu and they said they will be sending information regarding loan but i will be leaving to india in may and will be back only in july,so please can anyone help me
thanks anie

Following interview, finance officer at NYU told us to apply for loan only in July, after receiving information regarding actual cost of attending the school and other relevant documents.

rahmed

All those starting school this year,please read and reply to the "Universal 2007 Acceptance Thread" started by yours truly.

Thanks

got the acceptance letter today.finally the wait is over

spowari said:
congrats spowari :)
good luck with the school :thumbup:

spowari said:

Congratulations :thumbup:

rahmed

spowari said:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

spowari said:
congrates spowari for the acceptance.when was your interview.please tell.how many days nyu take to reply after interview

Hi,
I got accepted in the class of 2008 and am wondering if we really need to buy the laptop from the NYU. I already have one and itz a little heavy. Do we have to carry it daily to the college? just letm e know . Did anyone receive the final fees figures from the college? we need those to apply for a loan if I am not mistaken. Correct me if am wrong.

shrestha when you have been interviewed & after howmany days you recieved letter

tooth man said:
congrates spowari for the acceptance.when was your interview.please tell.how many days nyu take to reply after interview
hi tooth man,
i was interveiwed on 31st march and received the acceptance letter around 13th or 14th apil.good luck for whatever u do in ur life :thumbup:

Hi Class of 2008,
Count me in too.
I am looking forward to meeting all of you.
I'm sure it is going to be a wonderful experience meeting different people from different cultures and ethnicities as the advanced standing program will have students from different countries.That will help each of us in our overall development besides just acquiring good dental education at NYU.
Have any of you started applying for the loans(federal or private)? Is there anything we need to do at this stage as far as the loan application process is concerned?
Please post in any useful info that you have regarding the same.
Thanks,
DDS-2008