NYT: How to Retire in Your 30s With $1 Million in the Bank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmoini

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How to Retire in Your 30s With $1 Million in the Bank

"Fed up with their high-pressure jobs, some millennials are quitting and embracing the FIRE movement. (It stands for financial independence, retire early)."

Includes vignettes from an FDA software engineer and a pharmacist:

Jason Long, a pharmacist in rural Tennessee who retired last year at the ripe old age of 38, said his father had a hard time understanding why Mr. Long couldn’t continue to work and collect his $150,000 salary.

But Mr. Long said he was deeply unhappy in his job, where over his career he witnessed drug costs skyrocketing, sick people battling with health insurers and the over-prescription of opioids and the resulting addiction crisis. His customers, angry, confused, financially stretched, often lashed out at the person behind the counter.

“There were days when I had 12- or 14-hour shifts where I didn’t use the restroom, where I didn’t eat, because so much work was piled up on me,” Mr. Long said.

Like Mr. Jensen, he had been saving a sizable portion of his income over the past decade, and he and his wife had a paid-for house and an investment portfolio worth a little more than $1 million. Why stick around?

“The reality is the numbers are there for me,” Mr. Long said. “To go to a job that’s making you miserable every day, it doesn’t make sense to pad the bank account at that point.”

Members don't see this ad.

There are physicians that subscribe to the FIRE movement. Look up Physician on FIRE.

Most, though, want to become financially independent so they have the option to retire (or quit and not worry about finding a new job right away), but continue working because they enjoy it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still hoping for fulfilling work that doesn't have me running for the hills... but the extra flexibility would be very nice.

Hoping I have the discipline to "live like a resident" for a couple years after graduation so I can get a handle on financial freedom.

1 million may have been enough in the past. We all have different plans in retirement (giving to kids/grandchildren, donations, traveling etc).

Reactions: 1 user
There are physicians that subscribe to the FIRE movement. Look up Physician on FIRE.

Most, though, want to become financially independent so they have the option to retire (or quit and not worry about finding a new job right away), but continue working because they enjoy it.

That sub Reddit forum is a snake pit. Fun to browse though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I will start working part-time after accumulating 1 mil in retirement and my house is paid off...

Physician on FIRE is an advocate of FatFIRE though. Significantly more than $1 million planned.

I will start working part-time after accumulating 1 mil in retirement and my house is paid off...

$1M is probably enough to provide around $30K of spending money adjusted for inflation for a long time (30-50 years). If your part time work provides enough money for cost of living and you can let the $1M grow further before dipping into it, it'll provide more.

1 million may have been enough in the past. We all have different plans in retirement (giving to kids/grandchildren, donations, traveling etc).

This. That used to be enough. Unfortunately, I think even being in your late 60s a million may not be enough to sustain you for the rest of your life.

Reactions: 1 user
This. That used to be enough. Unfortunately, I think even being in your late 60s a million may not be enough to sustain you for the rest of your life.

The only number you need to calculate how long it will last is how much you spend per year. $1M could probably support spending $30K per year (and adjusting up for inflation) for 40-50 years. It could probably support spending $60K per year for 20 years. It could probably support $100K per year for 12-15 years.

You just need to figure out how much you will be spending.

The only number you need to calculate how long it will last is how much you spend per year. $1M could probably support spending $30K per year (and adjusting up for inflation) for 40-50 years. It could probably support spending $60K per year for 20 years. It could probably support $100K per year for 12-15 years.

You just need to figure out how much you will be spending.
A million could support spending 30k per year forever on the interest alone, assuming an abysmal return rate.

A million could support spending 30k per year forever on the interest alone, assuming an abysmal return rate.

not adjusting for inflation it couldnt

Ok. Well then I'd correct the 3% interest rate and see where it sits.

A reasonably constructed low cost portfolio can afford to draw down 3% of the original balance for 30-50 years allowing for increases with inflation every year. Hence $1M can spend $30K per year going up with inflation.