NYMC vs Hofstra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avocadocat

Reaction score
Narrowed my acceptances down to NYMC but I’m waitlisted at Hofstra. I’ve been thinking about writing a letter of interest to Hofstra but I want to be sure that Hofstra is my first choice over NYMC before hitting send. Here’s my thoughts below, any feedback/insight would be greatly appreciated

NYMC

pros:
-very supportive admin/student body
-NYC rotations

Cons
-expensive
-not as prestigious?

Hofstra:
Pros
- early clinical experience
-partner with northwell health
-some need based aid
-PEARLS (maybe)
-more prestigious?
Cons
- PEARLS (maybe?)
-newer school
-far from nyc (family in NYC)

I’ve heard NYMC students are generally very happy. My interview experience with them was incredible and I can definitely see how receptive admin is to student feedback. I’ve also heard mixed reviews regarding Hofstra, especially their PEARLS curriculum, but I think it might be helpful for me.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd have to go with Hofstra for sure. New school but it's widely recognized and has great match lists each year. Also Hofstra is a few stops away to the city on the LIRR.

I'd send a letter of intent to Hofstra if you're certain you'd go there.

Reactions: 1 user
Funnily enough, I felt the opposite as you, that I fit in more at Hofstra and those students seemed happier than the students at NYMC.

Not from the city but also from NY, I would be picking Hofstra over NYMC regardless because I enjoy Long Island, enjoy the flexibility of being a 30 min LIRR ride from the city, and I definitely think Hofstra is viewed rather equally as NYMC.

I am not sure really the distance difference from NYC to NYMC vs NYC to Hofstra. NYC to Hofstra is typically a 50 min-1hr 30min (up to 2 hour with peak traffic/accidents) drive.

However, I think that regardless of which school you choose you will be sucessful.Pick where you think you will be happiest!

Last edited: