NYMC AMP vs. NSU CHPP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayalive

Reaction score
Hi All!

I was accepted into multiple post-bacc programs, but the two I am really struggling with are NYMC and NSU. Both offer a condition acceptance as long as you meet requirements. I think why I am down to these programs because the following:

NYMC: MD program so seems like better opportunities for matching because I am interested in pediatrics, surgery, or some sort of speciality out of internal medicine. However, New York is not where I want to be and is super expensive. Also, a masters degree is intense in itself and they grade on a standard deviation so it seems more competitive.

NSU: I like the DO ideology and love the atmosphere it is bringing. However, their match rate is not as high as NYMC and a lot of their matches are internal medicine.

I also have a fiancé who is moving with me and we want to eventually move back to Pennsylvania where we currently live near our families.

I appreciate any help and advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I'm a current post-bacc student at NSU and have really enjoyed the program. I've had the opportunity to gain early exposure to the medical school curriculum and have been able to build relationships with professors who will be teaching during the M1 courses, as well. I think it has set me up very well for success during medical school. Regarding 2023 residency placements, you're right that many students matched into internal medicine and family medicine, but there was also a large number of students who matched into a variety of other specialties (including general surgery, orthopedic surgery radiology, pediatrics, pathology, OB, EM, dermatology, etc. ). Despite being DO, it's certainly possible to match into those more competitive specialities depending on the work you put in during the medical school career.

I don't know too much regarding the NYMC post-bacc but briefly looking it over online, it seems that their conditional acceptance comes with a few additional caveats (such as requiring students to take the CASPer test as well as completing the MMI interview process). So despite needing to do well in the program, you still need a successful interview outcome in order to be accepted.

NSU's CHPP program however, just requires the 500 minimum MCAT score and as long as you obtain the 3.6 GPA, you will be accepted, no questions asked. If you have a GPA of 3.4-3.59, then you would similarly have to interview and anything below a 3.39 GPA would require you to reapply during the cycle.

Personally, the opportunity to matriculate without any additional stipulations was what drew me to pursue NSU's program. But feel free to PM me with any other questions you may have!