This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which Master's Program Should I Go To While I Apply To Medical School?

• Total voters

sshidid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

So I'm in a little bit of a dilemma. I got into both schools and I am hoping to do a 1 year MS program while applying to Medical School at the same time. GPA: 3.98, MCAT: 505. I went to a weak undergrad with a low graduation rate, high transfer rate, and pretty mediocre faculty----long story as to why I stayed haha

NYMC:
-Allopathic medical school
-Older and more established program and medical school
-No shortage of opportunities to do research, do Extracurriculars, etc (as per the committee that interviewed me :p)
-Will be commuting, so Westchester is a bit of a hike for me and crossing the bridge 2x a day=$$$
-No obvious linkage to their medical school, though students in the program have a ~90% success rate in getting into A medical school in the country MD or DO.

Touro COM:
-Osteopathic Medical School
-Newer program, smaller campus,faculty and students seemed really tight knight
-In terms of the school's vision: I absolutely love their emphasis of their inclusion of minority physicians and serving underserved communities(I am a minority member myself)
-Middletown campus has no research division. School itself is pretty small. School in the middle of no where: both a good and bad thing haha
-Will be commuting and this is much closer to my house/no need to pay hefty bridge fee
-Obvious linkage to their medical school, though the hoops to go through are pretty intense. It also seems like students who don't make it(~50%) end up pursuing a different career path alltogether and graduate with a low GPA that could really impact their success in getting into other medical schools in future cycle. I apologize for that run on sentence!

Both Curriculums are the same. Both are attracting the same "type" of student. NYMC's AMP is a lot more competitive to get into. The program is smaller(15 vs 85 students), but I also feel like the campus is large enough to get lost in the mix. Touro's campus in Middletown is all medicine. Ultimately, I want to go into medical school, but I am not overly concerned about rank or going into academia. In terms of career, I do want to work with the underserved and get my hands dirty, be it medical mission trips, going out in the community, etc.. I am not overly concerned with doing research: did it for 4 years and hated it, so I am not interested in getting published or anything like that, but seeing its emphasis, I would still like the opportunity to have the opportunity!

I was wondering: what is the better pick? Any thoughts and comments appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can I ask when you submitted your application to NYMC? I'm trying to get mine submitted as soon as possible since I didn't realize they were accepting people already

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I ask when you submitted your application to NYMC? I'm trying to get mine submitted as soon as possible since I didn't realize they were accepting people already

Complete and submitted 12/5. Invited for Interview 12/19. Interviewed 12/29. Accepted the same day! It was honestly a pretty quick process! They have rollling admissions by the way.

Reactions: 1 users