Nycpm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smellyfeet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all prospective students,

Do not go to NYCPM.

This statement should not make you think that the education is subpar or that the students graduating from NYCPM are less qualified than those graduating from other institutions. The education at NYCPM has the potential to be great if the right people were running things. Unfortunately, we do not have the right people in the higher administrative positions.

I am a student at NYCPM and I know I am getting a great education but it is not due to the academic climate or the cirriculum of the school. It is because I make sure that at every turn I am getting the most out of it and sometimes that means that I must visit other DPMs and seek out the education that I know I need.

As for the clinic, again it has the potential to be great but only if the student pushes for it. If the student choses to see the patient as a bunch of nails, fungus, and calluses then that is all the student will do, cut nails, corns and calluses. If the student sees a callus as a biomechanical problem with the foot and then decides to prescribe orthoses then the student gets more out of the experience. The DPMs in the clinic let us decide how to treat the patients. If the treatment the student comes up with is acceptable but not the best the DPM usually does not push for more. There are a few DPMs that will suggest a different treatment option but most will not.

The general climate is that mediocore is great and why get As, we'll all get residencies, right? This does not inspire people to be great and try hard. If you are not inately self modivated this institution will not encourage you to be.

I could continue but I think this is enough. I hope from this message you realize that the students are not all bad and there are intelligent hard working students at NYCPM but the overall climate is not academically motivating.

Members don't see this ad.

This goes along w/ a lot of posts about the quality of the education that is being offered at certain schools. I know that Krabmas didn't like my comment about NYCPM letting in a corpse; I was not directing that at anyone who goes to a school but the school itself. They might have an average of 21 but what does that say when I am sure that some of the students scored 28s and 29s. I think that NYCPM is poorly run and needs a change at the top. They need to think about their students and not their operating budget. But that is my opinion, I don't attend the school. I am only speaking from the comments I have heard from various sources, and they are therefore hearsay.

Also Krabmas, you made a comment on NYCPM's board policy. According to the student handbook, there is no policy in place. The only time that they have done anything w/ the boards was in 1992 when there was the big cheating scandal.

Dr_Feelgood said:
This goes along w/ a lot of posts about the quality of the education that is being offered at certain schools. I know that Krabmas didn't like my comment about NYCPM letting in a corpse; I was not directing that at anyone who goes to a school but the school itself. They might have an average of 21 but what does that say when I am sure that some of the students scored 28s and 29s. I think that NYCPM is poorly run and needs a change at the top. They need to think about their students and not their operating budget. But that is my opinion, I don't attend the school. I am only speaking from the comments I have heard from various sources, and they are therefore hearsay.

Also Krabmas, you made a comment on NYCPM's board policy. According to the student handbook, there is no policy in place. The only time that they have done anything w/ the boards was in 1992 when there was the big cheating scandal.

I just looked at the hand book on line and this is copied from it...

Policy for Passing the National Board Exam Part I
First-time Failures:
Students who fail the National Board Examination Part I given by the National Board of
Podiatric Medical Examiners (NBPME) on the first attempt (usually July), will be allowed to
remain in their current class but must retake the exam at the next available test administration
date for a second attempt. Students may elect to reduce their clinical rotation load during this
period in order to prepare for the next examination although this may result in delayed
graduation. This schedule reduction may only be granted by the Dean of Clinical Education
after consultation with the Dean for Student Services. Such students will receive a provisional
grade for any successfully completed clinical rotations pending a passing grade on their second
attempt of the NBPME Part I Exam. (See Second-time Failures.)
Didactic clinical courses and exams must be taken with the class when given and will not be
rescheduled.
Second-time Failures:
Students who fail the National Board Exam Part I on their second attempt will be removed
from coursework in progress and placed on an administrative leave of absence for the
remainder of the academic year. Due to their absence from clinical exposure during this leave,
these students will be required to relearn all clinical skills before re-entering clinic the
following year. Therefore, they will not receive academic credit for any previously completed
third year clinical rotations and coursework prior to the leave of absence or for any
uncompleted course work or partially completed clinical rotations (e.g. 2 weeks of a 5 week
rotation). These students are urged to attend all Board Review sessions when given the
following year.
Upon return the following June, these students will become members of the rising third-year
class and will re-start clinical rotations with their new class. They will not be excused from
rotations for additional Board exam preparation time but will be excused from their rotations
on the day of their scheduled re-take of the National Board Exam Part I (approximately the
second week of July).
Third-Time Failures:
Students who fail the National Board Exam Part I on the third attempt will be subject to
dismissal from the college.

Members don't see this ad :)
the catalog is a general ciriculum and list of courses and sylabi. The handbook has all the rules.

Okay. I found it, I didn't realize that you had 2 different handbooks

I was just looking at CPMS and they've got the same thing a circum lum book and a student handbook. I think your right, administrative BS.