NYCPM interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancepod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else interviewing at NYCPM on october 22? So excited!! :D

Also, i hear there's an essay question during interview day, does the prompt change each year? any ideas on what we will be writing about?

thank so much for your help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

there are 5 prompts you get to choose from. I won't tell you what they are, because I think that would be unethical and undermine the process. It is REALLY easy though and they say it is just to get to know you a little before the interview. [I think that part is b.s. though]

thanks so much DrRock44!!! im wishing i were a better speller though :)

Members don't see this ad :)
there are 5 prompts you get to choose from. I won't tell you what they are, because I think that would be unethical and undermine the process. It is REALLY easy though and they say it is just to get to know you a little before the interview. [I think that part is b.s. though]

spill those beans :laugh:

Interviewing that day. Essays?! When did that happen? I rather talk than write.

I knew about it before hand from reading threads on this site. look at it this way; the person I interviewed with had no idea and was freaking out. so you already have an advantage just knowing it is coming. (although I thought they said something about it in the materials they sent) Really though, if you just thought right now about 5 generic essay prompts, you would probably nail three of them lol.

I got interview on October 15th :). Will see how it goes.

How did it go?? =D im still waiting for NYCPM to reply to me. It has been 2 weeks since I submit my application. Maybe they will reject me -_-

I completely butchered my interview...should be hearing back in the next few weeks though. We'll see!

How did it go?? =D im still waiting for NYCPM to reply to me. It has been 2 weeks since I submit my application. Maybe they will reject me -_-
It was really easy going interview. The questions posted in a different post are asked. Since they picked me up late, they had me do prompt at the end. She said the essay part is not much of a big deal, but who knows. Its short anyways. I will know tomorrow if I got in or not.

If I may piggybank on this thread.....

Did the interview end before 2:30pm for any of you?

The last flight out of NY will be at 3:30pm the day of interview, preferable to leave the same day, that's all.

If I may piggybank on this thread.....

Did the interview end before 2:30pm for any of you?

The last flight out of NY will be at 3:30pm the day of interview, preferable to leave the same day, that's all.

If you tell them about your flight they will try to accommodate as much as possible, but even if it all goes according to plan, you will be done at 2ish to 2:30 and 1 hr is not enough time imo to get to the airport and etc.

Totally understandable, in a way, i was thinking of making the impossible, possible.

The M60 arrives at 2:33, stops at La Guardia at 2:59, but can I run through security and to my gate in a 2pc suit w Clarks/Danskos/Born shoes?

Slim chance, I guess I should plan an evening cruise around the Statue of Liberty..

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally understandable, in a way, i was thinking of making the impossible, possible.

The M60 arrives at 2:33, stops at La Guardia at 2:59, but can I run through security and to my gate in a 2pc suit w Clarks/Danskos/Born shoes?

Slim chance, I guess I should plan an evening cruise around the Statue of Liberty..

Enjoy NYC while the weather is still nice.

You should look around the city. You will be living there if you choose to go to NYCPM and you should see just how great it is if you don't already know that.

I'm sure you've realized it by now, but you aren't going to make it on time for your flight with the times you just listed. Depending on traffic, the M60 can take anywhere from 30-60 minutes to get to LGA. Have fun exploring the city!

Hey y'all, appreciate the input!

I guess this one day interview is going to misplace me for 3 full days.

I've been to New York before for 3 nights in October 2011, loved it and the weather, but didn't do it enough justice. I love sentimental tourist sites, so I'll definitely do the Statue of Liberty and check out that 9/11 Memorial site, too bad I'm not going on a weekend-- I would definitely be in the stand by line for some SNL tickets!

LET'S DO IT C/O 2017!

Hey guys, new to the SDN!! Have an interview 11/8 at NYCPM!! Hope to be a part of the C/O 2017! Anyways, anyone who has interviewed out there know of good, inexpensive places to stay?! Thanks guys!

Hey guys, new to the SDN!! Have an interview 11/8 at NYCPM!! Hope to be a part of the C/O 2017! Anyways, anyone who has interviewed out there know of good, inexpensive places to stay?! Thanks guys!

Cool! When I interviewed they paid for a hotel night at the Newton Hotel which is pretty good so take that offer if you get it. Good luck!!

NYCPM C/O 2017!!

Cool! When I interviewed they paid for a hotel night at the Newton Hotel which is pretty good so take that offer if you get it. Good luck!!

NYCPM C/O 2017!!

Sweet PrePod11!!! I will definitely take advantage of that, I am calling tomorrow barring no trouble with the Hurricane and they're closed.

Sweet PrePod11!!! I will definitely take advantage of that, I am calling tomorrow barring no trouble with the Hurricane and they're closed.

This is from the NYCPM website:

DUE TO THE IMPENDNG STORM, THE COLLEGE AND CLINIC WILL BE CLOSED ON MONDAY OCTOBER 29, PLEASE STAY TUNED TO THIS WEBSITE OR CALL 212.410.8012 FOR MORE NEWS ABOUT TUESDAY, OCTOBER 30.

So may be you should try to call on Tuesday.

Is anyone else interviewing at NYCPM on october 22? So excited!! :D

Also, i hear there's an essay question during interview day, does the prompt change each year? any ideas on what we will be writing about?

thank so much for your help!!!

How did your interview go??

The interview with NYCPM was not as casual as I thought !!!!!!! :scared::scared: i wonder how it is going to be like for Temple?

If you're an underdog, you must sell yourself. Yikes.

If you're not, they might just love you.

Either way, it was a long informative day, kinda repetitive with the information thrown, but having that foot clinic a few feet away is pretty awesome....

BTW, shadow Dr. Jules, he's a really respected podiatrist among the patients. He's succinct and very nice, he answered a lot of my questions.

The interview with NYCPM was not as casual as I thought !!!!!!! :scared::scared: i wonder how it is going to be like for Temple?

Yup. I got my keister handed to me-skeptic, dismissive, argumentative are all adjectives that come to mind when I remember that day. Definitely not a Kent or Scholl interview by any stretch of the imagination.

But I wasn't going to go down without a fight-funding this event was too costly. Aside from showing them that I was convinced that NY was the best place for me, I also bit back. I asked them to sell themselves and questioned their affiliations to all the 'fancy' hospitals, schools and college around town. I put on a "what's in it for me" facade, which is very unlike me. But I was pissed.

In the end, I knew that NY has the goods anyway. I know I'll get a quality education there and much greater opportunities for residency than anywhere else.

I suppose that was enough for them...who knows? A test? Perhaps. One thing is for sure, my experience was that the adcoms make you work for that sweet, sweet letter :)

Hi everyone,

I am seeing some mixed ideas about the NYCPM interview so just wanted to share that I had a really pleasant experience and it was very laid back. They gave me very positive feedback during the actual interview! My advice to anoyone applying is to come in prepared. Lists of possible questions are posted on the internet... collect your thoughts (I wrote them down) the day before. I had a little "blemish" on my application from a class I had to re take. Be prepared to defend yourself and always show the positive side to a negative situation. If you have your interview coming up, just be relaxed and confident; they're extremely open and friendly! Good luck to anyone going through interviews!

Hi everyone,

I am seeing some mixed ideas about the NYCPM interview so just wanted to share that I had a really pleasant experience and it was very laid back. They gave me very positive feedback during the actual interview! My advice to anoyone applying is to come in prepared. Lists of possible questions are posted on the internet... collect your thoughts (I wrote them down) the day before. I had a little "blemish" on my application from a class I had to re take. Be prepared to defend yourself and always show the positive side to a negative situation. If you have your interview coming up, just be relaxed and confident; they're extremely open and friendly! Good luck to anyone going through interviews!

That is very similar to my interview day experience there. It was very pleasant and laid back. Just be prepared to answer any questions about like you put it "blemishes" in your application because they will bring it up unlike some schools where they don't ask any tough questions. That's being said, it was still not stressful and they made me feel comfortable.

Hi everyone,

Overall it was not too too bad. It gets a bit stressful when they start questioning you on your weak points.

Possible questions:
something about your personal statement (probably ur desire /passion for podiatry )
why podiatry/medicine
when did u have the idea
what kind of research u did
low gpa??? why??
why low MCAT??? how do u think u can improve taking standardized exam
how would you manage to do well in podiatry school ??
how do u handle stresses
why choose biomedical engineering (for me) since it is such a specialized profession
what is ur favorite course in college?
if you publish something.. be ready to discuss it briefly
how do you like NYC???
what do you think of the current health system
etc etc etc

remember look at faculties straight in the eyes when you speak and remain calm/ shake them hands/ email and thank them afterward !

Lets see what was interview day like...

My interview day was spent being part of a small group of fellow NYCPM interviewees (sp?). We were able to shadow a few DPMs while we waited to be called into the interviewing room. The actual interview takes 30 min - 1 hour. Afterwards you get to enjoy lunch followed by a cool presentation about housing options. Overall I had fun. Best part was receiving a phone call the following day to learn that I was accepted!

The interview day is very similar to what others are saying. I and probably others too were interviewed by a student and then by the dean plus a professor. The student interview was very relaxed, just be yourself and have fun with them. Me and the student were giggling by the end. The two docs were extremely friendly yet threw some curve balls. They asked about one of my lors and what was said about me in it. I would say just be honest and friendly and you should be fine. I just had the interview on Tuesday so I'll probably hear back from them after the break.

The interview day is very similar to what others are saying. I and probably others too were interviewed by a student and then by the dean plus a professor. The student interview was very relaxed, just be yourself and have fun with them. Me and the student were giggling by the end. The two docs were extremely friendly yet threw some curve balls. They asked about one of my lors and what was said about me in it. I would say just be honest and friendly and you should be fine. I just had the interview on Tuesday so I'll probably hear back from them after the break.

cool...g'luck!

cool...g'luck!

Thanks! If I get in its going to be hard for me to decide. I really liked their program and the amount plus the variety of patients that the students see in the clinic. I also love NYC so I'm going to have to do some serious thinking as to which school I want to go to. I have interviews to Western and CSPM coming up too so I'll see how they stack up. Temple has to really impress me to even consider it :laugh: but I'll give them a chance since I'm only a 10 minute bike ride away.

HI!

Is anyone interviewing on March 18th? And staying in Hotel Newton?? I am and would love to chit chat about the next day :! PM me or reply to this thread if you are.

For those that had interviewed back in November and December, do you have any advice for us new fish out there? Something we should keep in mind and other things not to worry about. I already went through SDN interview questions and I am trying to prep myself by writing some bullets for the questions that could be possibly asked.

Anyone want to share how they practiced for the interview?
Thanks in advance.

HI!

Is anyone interviewing on March 18th? And staying in Hotel Newton?? I am and would love to chit chat about the next day :! PM me or reply to this thread if you are.

For those that had interviewed back in November and December, do you have any advice for us new fish out there? Something we should keep in mind and other things not to worry about. I already went through SDN interview questions and I am trying to prep myself by writing some bullets for the questions that could be possibly asked.

Anyone want to share how they practiced for the interview?
Thanks in advance.
I interviewed back in Jan, it was not too bad, the hardest was they were digging into my 2.9GPA, so If you do have any baggage they might latch onto that. For the most part though it was not that bad. You start with a student interviewer, then move on to a 2 on 1 with faculty.
The hotel newton is a pretty good place, the rooms are small but what they have is nice.

I interviewed back in Jan, it was not too bad, the hardest was they were digging into my 2.9GPA, so If you do have any baggage they might latch onto that. For the most part though it was not that bad. You start with a student interviewer, then move on to a 2 on 1 with faculty.
The hotel newton is a pretty good place, the rooms are small but what they have is nice.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. My GPA is not bad, but my MCAT is not great. Should I have a good answer prepared for this? Because I don't think it shows my true potential (granted I took it 3 times) however, I want to/have to/must do well on boards to score a good residency/fellowship spot, so I know the importance of doing well on board exams. How did you respond to questions which seemed to bring down your applicaiton?

And I am excited to be staying there! It is free afterall which is super nice of them. Also if it is not too personal to ask but have you heard back from them for a final decision? Will you be attending NYCPM this fall?! :)

Thanks

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. My GPA is not bad, but my MCAT is not great. Should I have a good answer prepared for this? Because I don't think it shows my true potential (granted I took it 3 times) however, I want to/have to/must do well on boards to score a good residency/fellowship spot, so I know the importance of doing well on board exams. How did you respond to questions which seemed to bring down your applicaiton?

And I am excited to be staying there! It is free afterall which is super nice of them. Also if it is not too personal to ask but have you heard back from them for a final decision? Will you be attending NYCPM this fall?! :)

Thanks

I believe rush has decided to attend temple.