NYCOM rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robinhudster

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A question for all you nycomers out there. What are the nycom clinical hospitals at which the students rotate? From what I've heard, the possibilities include LIJ, St Barn, Lutheran, Maimo. Are there any others? And do you get to choose where you'll do your rotations or are the locations assigned. I can imagine that doing your clinicals at St. Barnabus must really suck. It's certainly not my idea of a fine medical center. Lutheran is perhaps a bit better, but also by no means a world-class place. LIJ and maybe maimo are probably the way to go. Any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

NYCOMs clinical affiliates include:

North Shore Univ Medical Center - Manhasset and Plainview
St Barnabus
Long Island Jewish
Good Samaritan
Maimonides Med Ctr
Nassau Univ Medical Center
Newark Beth Israel
Brookdale
St. Barnabus System of NJ- 4 hospitals
St. Claires
Long Beach Medical Ctr
Wyckoff Medical Ctr
Sisters of Charity (Buffalo)
Griffin Hopspital (CT)
Queens Hospital Ctr
South Nassau Communities
Auburn Medical
Basset Hospital

....and a few more that I cant think of right now. Including some psychiatric centers there's close to 35-40 hospitals on the list atcually.

As far as St. Barnabus, I wouldnt exactly say it sucks. That hospital is the 3rd busiest trauma center in the whole city of NY. It may not be in the prettiest neighborhood, but it's not a bad place to learn. What is your idea of a fine medical center? It's a Cornell teaching affiliate also, just like the North Shore System is an NYU affiliate, NUMC is a Stonybrook affiliate, Maimo is a Downstate affiliate, LIJ is an Einstein affiliate, Griffin is Yale affiliate, and Basset it a Columbia affiliate. Some decent hospitals.

As far as choosing your rotations, you rank all the available locations and time slots, then the computer puts it all together. Most people get one of their top 3 choices. I got all in my top 2 choices.

good luck.

HEY :) im a lil confused about the DO residency and the DO's going into the MD residency...... so if im a DO going into a DO residency i get 2 work at the ER lets say of those hospitals when its all said and done? whats the difference if i went into MD residency??? please help me hehe id really appreciate it :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
About the MD and DO residencies, from what I understand is that it's basically about certification. I'm sure that there are differences in what you do, but you can pretty much work anywhere with either kind of residency.

D.O. and MD residencies mainly differ in the accredidation process, that's about it. D.O. programs are accredited by the AOA and MD by the ACGME. Some are different track types, meaning an MD ER residency is sometimes 3 years while a D.O. one is 4 years often, but you can also do a 4 year MD ER residency. There is absolutely zero difference upon completion of either residency program in terms of practicing rights. One small difference....if you do an MD residency as a D.O., unless you have a D.O. attending, you (the hospital), legally cant bill for OMM as a resident, as the MD isnt certified to provide or supervise it.

hope this helps...

In regards to DO and MD residencies, you can DO an DO residency and still go to any hospital you want. You are not limited. For DO residencies (AOA), you must do an internship year prior to starting a DO residency program (e.g. pediatrics, FP, etc.). In fact, as a DO, you are required to do an internship/transitional rotation yearin a few states (i.e. Texas, Michigan, Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania) in order to practice in that state regardless of going to an MD or DO residency. Generally as a DO, you can go into an MD residency program without an internship year, provided it's not in states like Michigan or Ohio. Not doing an internship does not limit you from teaching at osteopathic schools but you may not be credited by the AOA as a member, unless in specificied situations (e.g. the state has no AOA internship programs).

very nice ppl on this site...thank u very very much, very helpful and thoughtful... :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)