NYCOM, PCOM, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachel

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to PCOM, NYCOM, UMDNJ and Lake Erie Osteo. My NYCOM and PCOM aplications are complete. I still have to finish the essay portion for UMDNJ and Lake Erie. I know Im a ***** for not having sent it in already but I was wondering if
someone who's already been accepted at any of these schools could tell me what kind of MCATs, GPA, and recommendation letters etc... Im getting kind of worried because I havent heard anything from either NYCOM or PCOM and theyre both more than halfway filled at this point. They told me they hold interviews till about April.
Im getting worried cause my MCATS are kind of weak. I took them twice and basically got 7's both times. My GPA is a 3.65 and I got two letters of recommendations from DO's plus other MD letters etc and I work part-time as a hospital clerk. Do I have a very slim chance of getting in at this point? Please give me some advice guys!!

Rachel

Members don't see this ad.

Rachel.
I have been accepted at PCOM. I had a 31 MCAT and 3.2 GPA. so your GPA rocks. i wouldnt worry too much. the only thing is, is that I sent my applications in mid-August. I am waiting to hear back from a couple schools as well and im losing faith. if i were you i would call them a few times a month. i actually saw a posting on princeton review where this guy apparently invited himself for an interview (requested it) i dont know if thats true, but at this point in the game, i dont think it would hurt. (i did at a couple schools and they told me not without a committee invitation but they werent mean about it)
anyway, good luck.

If you are a NJ or NY residents you still might have a chance. I don't need to tell you that you are kind a late in the process. If you are a NY resident I know that NYCOM does favor in state residents. Also your GPA might be able to pull you through.
Good luck
--Nicolas--
WesternU'03

PS: I did apply to NYCOM but never heard from them - I'm an outstate, so..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Rachel,Let me start out by saying that you have a good g.p.a. but 7's on the MCAT are a little "thin".This is not to discourage you for I have seen people get in with similar numbers.To give you an idea of where you stand,PCOM's first yr. class(class of 2002) had an MCAT avg. of 25-26,gpa. 3.4, NYCOM was only(from what I hear)accepting 8's and 9's or better,gpa.3.3, UMDNJ's avg. was approx. 26,gpa.3.55 and Lake Erie had an avg. of approx. 24,gpa. 3.3 . But numbers aren't everything,your hospital experience and letters of recommendation are also key factors.Let me also give you this tip,if you are not a N.J. resident then save your $125 and don't bother sending the UMDNJ sec. app. in . I say this because they get 4500 applications a yr. for 76 seats and 90% of them go to N.J. residents(that means only 7-8 out-of-state residents gain admission out of over 4000)besides they've been interviewing since sept.and the class may already be filled.NYCOM is another one of those schools that is partial to state residents.PCOM and Lake Erie interview through May so keep the faith.If it does't happen this yr.,you may want to take another shot at the MCAT.Also, apply as early as possible,your chances are much better.I hope it doesn't come to that and I wish you good luck!

Thanks so much for getting back to me so soon.
Flu, I do bug the admissions office at NYCOM and PCOM at least once or twice a week to make sure all my supplemmentals have gotten in on time and I feel bad about constantly calling them up too. Since you already got in at PCOM, how was the interview etc?
NickCVM, I am a NY state resident and the class for 2003 at NYCOM is already more than halfway filled as of today. ( I called them to ask).
BD, I sorta discovered osteo too late in the application process, otherwise the stuff wouldve gone in so long ago. NYCOM recommended that I take my MCATs over again. I know my scores arent the greatest so I got over 10 letters of recommendation from MD's, DO's and Deans hoping it'll give some weight to my application.

Rachel

[This message has been edited by rachel (edited 03-03-99).]

Rachel,
PCOM's interview is a very enjoyable experience. It is a relaxed atmosphere and a comfortable setting to discuss your possible future at the school. The individuals who interviewed me were very kind and easy to talk to. Best of Luck.

------------------

Keneth C.Plowey (PCOM '03)
[email protected]

Hi,
I interviewed at UMDNJ in September and was accepted. I received an interview invite from NYCOM in the fall as well, but I declined it because UMDNJ was my first choice. I would tend to agree with some of the previous posters that applying to this school may be a waste of time and money at this point (especially if you haven't finished the essay yet). There are only 75 seats, and most if not all are filled at this point. In fact, tomorrow they are having an accepted students' reception. There's always a slim chance, of course, but if I were you, I would stick with where you've already applied, and wait it out. Don't waste anymore of your money just yet. Things could still work out with one of the other schools you applied to, and if not, I really think you would get in if you applied again first thing this June. Time is truly of the essence in this process. Good Luck to you!