NYC programs and DO's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OL17

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year DO student interested in Neurology. I'd like to do my residency training in New York City, and I was wondering if you could tell me which programs are considered to be good and DO friendly at the same time. I understand that Columbia, Beth Israel and NYU are good. What about SUNY Brooklyn and Mt. Sinai? Any others? Which are more/less competitive?

Also, what kind of board scores are neuro programs looking for?

Thanks very much.

Members don't see this ad.

I have interviewed at Columbia, Cornell and Sinai and I did not meet any DO's. As far as which programs are good I would say that by reputation Columbia is at the top with Cornell and Sinai tied for second. Beth Israel and SUNY Brooklyn are so-so programs not the greatest of locations. NYU has a very bad reputation for neurology (about 1/2 FMGs and not academic at all). I would suggest that if you are interested in general neuro the best programs for you would be Mt Sinai or Cornell and possibly Einstein. Best of luck.

As far as Step I and II scores go the higher the better. By SFMatch the average score for matching was around 220 with and average for unmatched at around 200. As expected if you want to go to Columbia and especially as a DO go for at least a 240 and for Sinai or Cornell I would say shoot for a 230. For neuro the most important things tend to be outstanding letters from well-known neurologists as well as having some research experience and better yet a publication or two.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your reply, Alias.
I may have more questions for you in the future. :)

A follow-up question... Do you know how anything about the neurology program at UMDNJ-Newark?

Don't know a lot about the program which is probably not a good sign. I would definitely put it below all of the NYC programs and from the DO perspective I would not know where to begin. Sorry.