NYC commute query

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Protosri

Reaction score
I'm starting IM residency in NYC and can't seem to find a decent place for the price. I have a family and they're all crappy 1BR in crappy neighborhoods for $2000 or more.

My better 1/2 works in Jersey and was wondering if I could shave off her commute (she detests it) and also a few hundred $ every month if I could do the 1-hour public transit 6 days a week.

I'm someone who is generally OK with commutes, gives me some time to nap, podcast, or read up. But I'm worried if residency might just be a bit too much.

My program has the night float/short call, 4 inpatient+2 ambulatory system.

New Yorkers, does this sound doable? Has anyone been in the same boat and survived?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting IM residency in NYC and can't seem to find a decent place for the price. I have a family and they're all crappy 1BR in crappy neighborhoods for $2000 or more.

My better 1/2 works in Jersey and was wondering if I could shave off her commute (she detests it) and also a few hundred $ every month if I could do the 1-hour public transit 6 days a week.

I'm someone who is generally OK with commutes, gives me some time to nap, podcast, or read up. But I'm worried if residency might just be a bit too much.

New Yorkers, does this sound doable? Has anyone been in the same boat and survived?

Thanks.

I would not enjoy it. After a long day of work, you have another hour before you get home. Then you have to get up an extra hour in the morning. That's two hours of your day in travel. Every day, for three years.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Probably very difficult, especially intern year when you'll be expected to be in the hospital the earliest to pre-round. Most of the NYC IM residencies are notoriously busy with lots of scutwork, especially intern year due to extensive unionization of most ancillary services. Also, commuting times can be unpredictable, especially with a 1 hr commute from NJ into NYC. In residency, frequent tardiness can easily lead to dismissal. I wouldn't live more than 30 min (door to door) from the hospital. Does your program offer subsidized housing? If so I'd try that first. Keep in mind that salaries at NYC programs are also higher than most places ($70-80k/hr instead of the $50-60k in most parts of the country), and you would presumably have 2 incomes so it may be worthwhile to pay a bit more to live in the city. A good rule of thumb is that your monthly rent x40 shouldn't be greater than your combined gross income (which is also the usual income requirement to get approved for an apartment in NYC). Assuming your wife makes a similar amount as you, you should be able to get approved for an apartment up to $3500-$3750. Even in Manhattan, that should get a pretty nice one bedroom or an OK 2 bedroom.

Last edited:

Thanks.
You don’t have to live in Manhattan...depending on where your residency is in Manhattan you can look in fort lee, Hoboken, jersey city, and even in Brooklyn (though Williamsburg can be as expensive)

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks.

My opinion is that it’s doable. It was tougher for me because I lived in BK and my residency was in NJ and it was an hour and a half to 2 hours commute on public transportation each way. Then, on certain days (i.e. weekends) or depending on how early I had to be at the hospital, public transportation wasn’t available at those times and I had to cab it. It was hard, but I survived. However, the residents who lived in Manhattan near 34th or 42nd had no problem at all with the roughly 45 min - 1 hour commute.

I did it my intern year and it wasn’t so bad. I didn’t want to live near my hospital and was happy with the neighborhood I lived in.

It was a 2 min walk to the subway from my apartment, 45 min on the subway, then a 10 min walk. I typically napped on the subway.

I didn’t have to switch trains. I definitely wouldn’t do it if it required switching trains though. The subway system with their perpetual construction and delays is frustrating so keeping it to 1 train would minimize such delays.

Many (most?) people in nyc have hour commutes on the subway so it’s not out the norm and it’s not like residents are the only ones working long/early/late hours. If living an hour away will overall improve your quality of life and it really is exactly an hour and no longer then I would do it based on my personal experience.

I think Its very doable. Make sure you live close to a subway station or bus stop. Jersey city/Hoboken might a good option. Although anything on the NJ transit line is doable. Weekends might be tricky due to frequent maintenance closures and changes in train schedules esp in nyc.

Also With all the ride share apps, its not that bad these days. "Via" has like 5$ rides to anywhere in manhattan. Recently "Lyft" had like 250$ per month unlimited rides.