NYC based GPR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jd25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts about NYC gprs? I interviewed at a couple and have different opinions about them. I interviewed at Jacobi at the Bronx (crappy neighborhood BTW) and it seems the residents are not too happy to be there. One resident even said to me privately not to rank it:eek: b/c the PD is lazy and don't care about the program, how it is so unorganized, residents are made to do all the scut work for OMFS interns

i also interviewed at the VA medical center in manhattan and that seems more balanced and residents were exposed to a lot of different things. residents i spoke to were very pleased with the type of exposure they got.

anyone have anythoughts about the two programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any thoughts about NYC gprs? I interviewed at a couple and have different opinions about them. I interviewed at Jacobi at the Bronx (crappy neighborhood BTW) and it seems the residents are not too happy to be there. One resident even said to me privately not to rank it:eek: b/c the PD is lazy and don't care about the program, how it is so unorganized, residents are made to do all the scut work for OMFS interns

i also interviewed at the VA medical center in manhattan and that seems more balanced and residents were exposed to a lot of different things. residents i spoke to were very pleased with the type of exposure they got.

anyone have anythoughts about the two programs?
Crappy neighborhood? Compared to where else in NYC? All of the GPRs in the Bronx are in the Bronx, and Jacobi is in the best part of the Bronx.
Since the GPRs have little to do with the OMFS interns except when on call and rotating through the OMFS clinic, not sure what you mean by scut work.
As the PD, I can assure you that I am on top of the program and it is as organized as any program gets with some meaningful didactics and clinical experiences. This is not a VA by any stretch of the imagination, as a VA treats a completely different patient pool and is not a trauma center, as we are. As we have received over 200 applications for our 8 spots, I am sure we will fill all of our slots on match day as usual, and the 2010 class will be enjoying the new state of the art dental center we are building.

Do be aware that at the Manhattan VA you typically only see 4 pts a day. That may be a good or a bad thing for you but speed might be a concern. Yes, they get to do some great VA type work.

I'd heard great things about Jacobi.