NYC Accredited Clinical Psychology PhD Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClinPsych2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I know its really early in the process (for a Fall '09 start date), but I've been piecing together a list of the good accredited clinical psychology PhD programs in New York City and wanted to share it and get others' input. A little about me...I graduated with a BA from Vassar College in 2006 and have worked two years doing research and clinical work at NYU/Bellevue psychiatry.Please keep in mind that I am interested in neuropsychology, prefer a CBT program, and want a good mix of research and clinical work, and thus my interests have shaped my research on schools.

Columbia (http://www.tc.columbia.edu/academic/ccp/Clinical/proginfo.asp): mostly psychoanalytic, very research oriented, students spend a lot of time in lab, and students graduate in generally 6-7 years. Almost lost its accreditation a couple of years ago, but again its columbia, so this is probably unlikely to ever happen. sorry to those in it, but I have only heard bad things about the 1 yr masters program - it gives you columbia on your cv, but only like 1 out of the 40 in the masters gets accepted into the PhD, and you can't get licensed with this degree... so people pretty much use it exclusively as a means to improve their cv for applying to another phd program.

Yeshiva U (Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology - Clinical Psychology PhD): This is the program that I know the most about because a friend of mine from undergrad is currently a student there. He really likes the program and his professors, and is encouraging me to apply. If you're like me you'll probably have a hard time finding the program on their website. On the Ferkauf website you first click "programs", and then "clinical psych, health emphasis" heres the direct link to make things easier... http://www.yu.edu/ferkauf/page.aspx?id=705&ekmensel=15074e5e_242_282_btnlink. I asked my friend about this "health emphasis" label and he told me that the program requires the same core courses as every other Clinical Psychology APA Accredited Program but there is extra attention paid to (and a bunch of electives offered that address) the psychology of individuals with both mental and medical diagnoses. The application deadline is January 1st.
Pluses of the program: its a joint program with classes and faculty at both Ferkauf and the well known Albert Einstein College of Medicine and there are lots of research opportunities btwn the two schools; it has an APA accredited neuropsychology Minor (essential for getting a Neuropsychology internship); if you want, you can get an Masters in Public Health en route to the PhD; and many research opportunities abroad in India. My boss who's a professor of psychiatry at NYU Med said it has a solid reputation. good mix of research and clinical. Average # of years till PhD = 5. Minuses: Its in the bronx, its a commuter school.

St Johns (http://www.stjohns.edu/academics/graduate/liberalarts/departments/psychology/programs/phd_cp): CBT, more clinical than research but a solid mix, good faculty, solid reputation. Really nice clinic facilities and clinic, and good externship connections. students graduate in 5-6 yrs. St. John's has a clinical child track and a clinical adult track. You must specify your preference on your application. The application deadline is January 15th.

Hofstra (http://www.hofstra.edu/Academics/Colleges/HCLAS/PSY/phdcp/phdcp_admdata.html): Just changed from a school and clinical combined program to a clinical program. Exclusively CBT. Out on long island. been around since the early 70s. Solid reputation and externship connections. The application deadline is January 15th.

LIU
(http://www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/clas/psych/doctoral/): Quote from website: "While the mission is to broadly train clinical psychologists, the program also seeks to provide each student with special competencies in one of three areas: family violence, developmental disabilities, or serious and persistent mental illness. The program also provides its graduates with clinical and theoretical training in two major orientations-psychoanalytic and cognitive-behavioral." Orientation is thus split btwn CBT, and Psychoanalytic. Application deadline is January 31st.

Adelphi(http://derner.adelphi.edu/doctoral/index.php): Application Deadline is January 15. I believe that it has a Psychoanalytic orientation.

New School(http://www.newschool.edu/gf/psy/phd_clinical_psychology.htm): The Program's orientation has a psychodynamic slant; as quoted directly from their website "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In its clinical training, the program is pluralistic, with an emphasis on psychoanalytically informed practice. The psychoanalytic legacy of our program can be traced back to 1926, when Sandor Ferenczi, one of Freud's closest colleagues, taught a course at the New School." .I hear that most students finish their masters and then have to reapply to their PhD program. It has a relationship with Beth Israel Psychiatry for externships. Don't know much else about it.

Fordham (http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/psychology/clinical/): CBT Program, December 15th Application Deadline.

CUNY (http://web.gc.cuny.edu/dept/psych/clinical/admissions/faq.html): Directly from the website "The orientation of the program is psychodynamic; however, other perspectives such as family systems and neurospsychology are well-represented." Application Deadline is January 1.

NYU lost accreditation and no longer has a clinical psych program.

Members don't see this ad.

thanks! I have yet to visit Yeshiva and I was hoping their facilities were not as bad as their website so that info was really useful.

Know anything about the Fordham program? Specifically what orientation they are?

There is also CUNY, but I know nothing about that program.

As for New School, you do have to reapply for the Ph.D. The application is only for the masters degree and if and only if they feel after the masters that you qualify for the Ph.D then you can apply for the Ph.D.

BTW, I currently work at NYU/Bellevue psychiatry when did you stop working there, do i know you?

I completely forgot about Fordham and CUNY. Thanks! Fordham I know is well known for their research and specifically their Psychometrics/statistics. I'm not sure about the orientation or the research/clinical balance. It has a solid reputation, but all of my dealings with their admissions staff have been really unpleasant and have turned me off to the school. It might just be me though, so you should check it out for yourself.

The only info that I have on CUNY is that students generally take a loooong time to finish their degree, like 7-8yrs.

From what I hear Ferkauf is in beginning stages of their plan to expand and upgrade their facilities. I'll let you know what the campus is like when I go for a visit, or (knock on wood!) when i go for an interview ;)

I just left Bellevue and am going to travel for a little bit before starting my new job. I'm positive I don't know you because I NEVER ran into any other research assistants... I was surrounded by old doctors and nurses all day :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Fordham is CBT. Columbia's emphasis on research varies greatly by adviser as a couple of the prof are very active researchers with current grants while some others have no current research grants.

If anyone reads this and has info on programs in nyc, please post it.

If anyone reads this and has info on programs in nyc, please post it.

I'm applying to the New School for Social Research, and for full disclosure, it's my numero uno choice... I've visited the school a couple of times, and besides loving the location, I was really lucky to find some research being done that is really analogous to my own research interests. The only big complaint I've heard from people is that they don't graduate their PhD students quickly enough, but the New School acknowledges this, and their most recent data from past years shows that this issue is resolving. Their diverse faculty and structure of the program really enticed me as well. I also really like how they take an interdisciplinary approach to teaching, and their course selection seems really interesting. NYC offers a massive amount of clinical and research opportunities, which is great. Oh, and I know a lot of people say the school has a pretty psychodynamic slant, but most of the faculty I've talked to ascribed to different orientations, and I've heard from current students who attended the school expecting a strict psychodynamic approach were disappointed,.So it seems to me that they are pretty diverse in this respect as well.

I don't know too much about the other programs as I didn't find research matches through them. Lemme know if you want any more info tho!

I'm applying to the New School for Social Research, and for full disclosure, it's my numero uno choice

One of my friends is getting her PhD in Clinical at New School. She's been pretty happy there, which is one of the reasons I applied this year. I'm planning on going for Social, rather than Clinical though.

Good luck!

Technically, it's not in New York, but Rutgers has excellent PsyD and PhD programs in clinical psychology. It's 45 minutes to New York City on NJ Transit and many of their practica are in New York. The PsyD program was the first one to be housed in a university and has an eclectic perspective. I don't know much about their PhD program.

One of my friends is getting her PhD in Clinical at New School. She's been pretty happy there, which is one of the reasons I applied this year. I'm planning on going for Social, rather than Clinical though.

Good luck!

You've applied for Fall 08 too? Good luck to you! I wish I knew some people that were already in the program, as I have so many questions!

Do you know when the New School sends out their acceptance letters?

If anyone is going to interviews right now in NYC schools, please tell us about your experience. Thanks.

Don't forget about CUNY- Queens college. They have a Clinical Neuropsychology PhD program. BUT just as I wrote this I realized they are not accrediated, but I know the DCT there and they have applied for accreditation this year, so hopefully they will be accredited soon.

I will be interviewing there and at Fordham and will update this board afterwards to let you know what I learn!

Also, I live in NYC now and am an NYU alumni if you have any area specific questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
LIU actually has 2 programs. The one you mentioned is the PsyD program at the CW Post campus on Long Island.

There is also a Clinical Psych PhD program at LIU-Brooklyn.

http://www.brooklyn.liu.edu/psych/phdprogram/index.html

I don't know how much location matters, but the Brooklyn campus is only 1 subway stop outside Manhattan.

Most of these programs listed are not in NYC.

St. John's is in Queens. Hofstra, Adelphi, and LIU-CW Post are on Long Island. Fordham is in the Bronx.

Just a clarification, for people outside of NY who think all of NY is in NYC :D

I graduated from Vassar in 2004, by the way :)

St. John's is in Queens. Hofstra, Adelphi, and LIU-CW Post are on Long Island. Fordham is in the Bronx.

last i heard queens was part of NYC and so was the Bronx...

Yeah you might want to change that.. NYC is comprised of five boroughs - Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island.

You've applied for Fall 08 too? Good luck to you! I wish I knew some people that were already in the program, as I have so many questions!

Do you know when the New School sends out their acceptance letters?

Hi,

I applied to New School as well. The website says the letters are sent out in mid-March. Does anyone know what kind of funding New School PhD studnets recieve? I get the impression that most students are self funded (at least for Master's) is their full funding after the Master's program?

Hi,

I applied to New School as well. The website says the letters are sent out in mid-March. Does anyone know what kind of funding New School PhD studnets recieve? I get the impression that most students are self funded (at least for Master's) is their full funding after the Master's program?

I think it's overall a partially funded program, but you do receive a lot more funding at the PhD level (as in most expenses, but it is NYC). I keep checking the application status website to see if anything has changed, but I guess I'll just have to sit back till Mid-March. Good Luck to you.

I think it's overall a partially funded program, but you do receive a lot more funding at the PhD level (as in most expenses, but it is NYC). I keep checking the application status website to see if anything has changed, but I guess I'll just have to sit back till Mid-March. Good Luck to you.

Great, thank you for the update on New School funding for PhD's...Bonne chance as well...

Does anyone have personal experience or knowledge of the doctoral program in forensic psychology offered at John Jay College of Criminal Justice/CUNY?

Hi everyone! I just joined here. I am currently a Master's student for Mental Health Counseling and was wondering if anyone knows anything about any of the Counseling PhD programs in NY? Alot of people don't seem to know these programs exist since they are usually through Departments of Education. I would really like to continue on and wouldn't want to have to get another Master's in Psychology in order to get a Clinical PhD. But I guess I might have to apply to everything and see what happens.

I am also wondering about tuition costs/funding for any Psychology PhD programs too since it does seem very expensive and the scholarships and aid offered seem to be very small. I am very spoiled here in Miami since I don't pay anything for my Master's degree and our PhD programs are fully funded 100% and you even get a stipend for living(if accepted) and I would ideally like the same thing but in NY. Does anyone know anything about this?

Hi everyone! I just joined here. I am currently a Master's student for Mental Health Counseling and was wondering if anyone knows anything about any of the Counseling PhD programs in NY? Alot of people don't seem to know these programs exist since they are usually through Departments of Education. I would really like to continue on and wouldn't want to have to get another Master's in Psychology in order to get a Clinical PhD. But I guess I might have to apply to everything and see what happens.

I will preface this by saying that I'm sorry to anyone who goes here, this isn't anything personal, just my observations.

That being said, I interviewed at NYU's counseling Ph.D program a couple years ago and was not impressed. They seemed very short on funding for the program (not just for the students who go there, but for their facilities, building and student space). They also thought nothing of putting 40-50 interviewees through the pains of a group interview for only 4 spots. Why they counldn't have narrowed down the interview list more is beyond me, especially when they clearly knew who they were most interested in....Or maybe they just winged it, either way you can't tell much of anything about an applicant's strengths from a 15 minute group interview. Some of the faculty were nice and there was definitely interesting work being done, but there were a few faculty members who were downright rude. Also, one current student in the program spoke of having to sit outside her advisor's office for hours just to ensure she got to speak with her.

I didn't get offered one of the four supposedly coveted spots in the program, so if you want to dismiss this as bitterness, feel free to do so. However, I think if they had offered me admission, I would have had to seriously contemplate turning it down.

i had an interview at seton hall (NJ) but cancelled it after i got my top offers, but from what i could tell they were clinically oriented (with pretty good looking training) and with research opps for those who were interested (but people who are more practice oriented would be happy there). funding seemed decent for the tri-state area. dr, palmer, the director, seems respected in the field and publishes a good amount.