NY OT programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wiwg02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've done research on OT programs, so I have a lot of "on paper" knowledge, but I haven't been able to speak frankly with people in the field... How would you rank the following OT programs from best to worst/ most competative least competative? Also any thoughts on strengths and weaknesses of each program? Thanks!

SUNY Downstate
Columbia
NYU
Touro
NYIT

Members don't see this ad.

no one from new york here with thoughts on OT programs?

I dont think there is some sort ranking for OT programs since the curriculum is made by the AOTA. but I think you should consider which program is right for you. for example SUNY Downstate is very good since its the least expensive and they are very clinical they offer an MS. NYU offers an MA and is not very clinical. So it all depends on your preference of schools check the the program websites to learn more.

Members don't see this ad :)
That makes sense-

I suppose I am just looking for feedback from people who have gone through (or are going through) the programs- you can only get so much from curriculum and orientations.

I was looking for acceptance/ rejection stories and benefits and/ or downsides to individual programs.

Ie: I was talking to someone the other day who said the facilities at Touro Manhattan are extremely outdated, even though they do the cadaver lab, which is important to me... just looking for stories...

unfortunately, i've noticed there are not very many physical rehab science majors on SDN. Everyone is on here either for physician, dentistry, etc....
So its so hard to get replies and help from SDN if you are a PT or OT major. Anyone know another forum for us OT and PT majors? I know rehabedge has a good one. Anything else?

I would check out US News report on the rankings of OT schools. Generally, NYU, Columbia, and Downstate are considered the best out of those bunch, in that order. They also all offer very clinical education, as they are all associated with large teaching hospitals.