NY Blows, Acrimonious

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PENN Diddy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
NY blows, Acrimonious,

Seriously, You have tons of people out there that wish they were in your shoes, stepping on the doggy poop on their way to one of the top dental schools. I would be happy walking knee high in poop on my way to PENN. Any advice on how not to be a loser in one of the top schools in the world?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello PENN Diddy,

Come to my class and observe some of my classmates and you'll know what losers really are. Some of them really "come right out of the comic book".

Wait a min Acrimonius...
if you're in the class of 04 and you said that you're just a big dork... I know some of your classmmates and I think you're being totally unfair. Your classmmates has helped me tremendously and they're awsome people...maybe you're the one w/ problems...
btw, I know who badaboom is... so care to reveal who you are yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by PENN Diddy
NY blows, Acrimonious,

Seriously, You have tons of people out there that wish they were in your shoes, stepping on the doggy poop on their way to one of the top dental schools. I would be happy walking knee high in poop on my way to PENN. Any advice on how not to be a loser in one of the top schools in the world?

PENN DIDDY YOU'RE SO WISE!! :love: :clap: :love: :)

Hello StarGirl,

Don't be too overly optimistic. Do you think you have class of 2004 all figured out simply with your brief encounters with a limited number of them? There's a lot more than what meets the eye.

Yup you're right... and it's obvious you're one of those I haven't met. :)

Hello Badaboom,

Who are you Badaboom? Are you in SDOS 2004?

Acrimonious

Do you know what they call the biggest loser in dental school that graduates? A freakin' DMD! Welcome to the top 5% of U.S. incomes!+pissed+

I appreciate your honesty about how you feel (no need to I.D. yourself) & this what this forum's about. Long as its honest, happy & sad is welcome.

Back to my question, any advice on how to be a winner but not FEEL like a loser+pity+? What was the turning point in Columbia that caused a happy:)person to become acrimonious:smuggrin:?

My question is not condescending, I think you can advise bunch of us just starting out even if not going to Columbia.

Give acrimonius and all other unfortunate souls at SDOS a break guys.

You know that you can only choose a school, not your classmates. You will never know how it's gonna be after at least one year. I totally feel for them if they are stuck with suck classmates. I know I have stuck with cheaters and losers.
You don't need that many to make it stinks. Just a group of 3 or 4 of them already make your life terrible.

If only one person says about it, I don't believe. But so far 3 ppl here telling the same thing. And let count how many SDNers are SDOS students? Obviously they are the majority here.

I even have heard many stories about how ppl stealing patients, instruments, etc in the clinics. So, wait until your third year to see how ppl prevail themselves.

It's fortunate to attend any school. But it's extremely unfortunate to stick with suck classmates. I used to pray day and night that I will not have cheaters in my class, but I do, very sad, I unfortunately have cheaters in my class. Just have to deal with them and watch for my belongings.

Originally posted by tinker bell

You know that you can only choose a school, not your classmates. You will never know how it's gonna be after at least one year. I totally feel for them if they are stuck with suck classmates. I know I have stuck with cheaters and losers.
You don't need that many to make it stinks. Just a group of 3 or 4 of them already make your life terrible.

If only one person says about it, I don't believe. But so far 3 ppl here telling the same thing. And let count how many SDNers are SDOS students? Obviously they are the majority here.

I even have heard many stories about how ppl stealing patients, instruments, etc in the clinics. So, wait until your third year to see how ppl prevail themselves.

It's fortunate to attend any school. But it's extremely unfortunate to stick with suck classmates. I used to pray day and night that I will not have cheaters in my class, but I do, very sad, I unfortunately have cheaters in my class. Just have to deal with them and watch for my belongings.

now you talking,
you the second COOL UCSF people i met.
say hi to stanley of 2006

Originally posted by new york blows
now you talking,
you the second COOL UCSF people i met.
say hi to stanley of 2006

I THINK I KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!!

I totally can agree with Tinker Bell. A few students can screw it up for everybody. Just think that if instruments started disappearing slowly and peeps will start to lose trust and that will build a sense of mistrust.

If you can't trust your own classmates, who can you trust? That's why I wanted to go to a school where numbers weren't the only thing. One reason I didn't like Columbia was becuase I hear they are too numbers oriented in selecting their class. This greed for numbers dwells through the four years of dental school and some students go so low as to cheat, steal other's instruments, patients, and even worse.

So pray guys, that you don't have these peeps whose goal is to bring people down for their pleasure.

DesiDentist

BUT TINKERBELL...YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND... I KNOW THESE 2ND AND 3RD YEARS...AND MOST OF THEM ARE EXTREMELY NICE......BUT SOME OF THE PEOPLE I'VE MET ARE JUST AMAZINGLY FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL... THEY'RE JUST REALLY BEING PESSIMISTIC ABOUT EVERYTHING. They're definately not stuck w/ bad classmmates... I know that badaboom and NYB has a more competitive class...but that's the way they choose to be... :)

At least half of the class must be very competitive, and kicking each other ass, to make the class more competitive or to make the situation so bad like what they have described.

Star, I'm happy for you that you only run into good people. Of course, you know why, those ugly stinking selfish a$$ kickers do not go around and help younger kids. Chances are, you will never meet them or get to know them. Because they are busy thinking of ways to kick their classmates' a$$ or how to ruin other ppl lives.

No schools wish to have those kinds of students. I just think that schools are good themselves. Just the student bodies makes school looks bad from time to time.

JUST PRAY FOR YOUR LUCK TO END UP WITH GOOD CLASSMATES, GUYS.

Just the student bodies makes school looks bad from time to time.

JUST PRAY FOR YOUR LUCK TO END UP WITH GOOD CLASSMATES, GUYS.

YEAH I HEAR YOU...
it's too bad cause Columbia's so wonderful... i wish they had better experiences...and if there was anything I could do to help I would...

my undergrad school is one of the top great cutthroat schools of all time. They nurture neck-slashing by creating "weeder" courses where rate of failure is ~40% & curved cumulative finals account for 60-70% of final grade. I've dealt with real low-life scum & I've seen the depths to which people will sink to be on top. I expect to continue to run into them in dent school & in life.

But if they're unavoidble, who cares if they exist, cheat, or steal?:rolleyes:
I guess thats the key to happiness. Just excel in the things you can control & dont let the rest get under your skin.

You guys are in the drivers seat of a high performance car. Just cause a pigeon poops on your car doesnt mean the engine sucks. So you can decide to focus all your attention on pigeons with diarrhea or just keep your eyes on the road to success.

With a classmate like StarGirl, no reason to not enjoy the ride!:)

WORD - Diddy!
I think you got your key to happiness.
Too bad not everyone can find theirs.

And Stargirl,
don't worry about their complaints,
and don't let their sadness affect you.
just let them be.
They just can not fathom what you know and what you see. They don't want to believe that everyone is given the same thing, yet others find gratification. Furthermore, they don't want to hear it so they plug their ears with their fingers and yell at others and say they can't hear.

peace

I think you guys made a good point. Some schools are numbers oriented, others like numbers but want a certain type of student in their program. I'm sure you can also get a feel for the type of students at a program (even off of this board, you can tell there are some ridiculously stylin' peeps on the Penn thread:cool: ). But ofcourse regardless of what school you're at there will also be some competitive peeps there. Penn Diddy seems to have gone to a school like mine. I took an excellerated Orgo class, with only 80 students. We were told that most people don't pass the class (I think our class only 30 of us passed). Yes, some people do stupid things, like hide notes, or books to get ahead. But I've found that a lot of people know that its pointless working against others in the same class. Work with them, and you'll both succeed. Of the kids who started out Pre-health, only 20% make it through the program. Of those even a smaller % matriculate into grad programs.

Pick a school where you see the type of people you want to be around. I got into several schools with great names, but decided that I wouldn't like many of my classmates based on the ones i met. Remember each class is different, but school also try to pick student who will do well socially and academically in their programs.

Cheers mate!

Originally posted by PENN Diddy

With a classmate like StarGirl, no reason to not enjoy the ride!:)

yeah each class is different...and I have THE BEST class :) I love my classmmates :)

Acrimonius said:
Hello PENN Diddy,

Come to my class and observe some of my classmates and you'll know what losers really are. Some of them really "come right out of the comic book".

acrimonius,
can you explain what you mean by "come right out of the comic book"?