"Nutrition" Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luwi25

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys...so I'm far behind the game and just thinking ahead but I have a Masters in Public Health and I'm very interested in nutrition, preventive health and wanted to start thinking of a residency that would encompass these things. What specialties or residencies in general would encompass these things? What should I look more into? I was thinking maybe endocrinology, general IM or cardiology (non0invasive). Am I headed in the right direction?

Thanks for any help you can offer!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

You know what? When I was in med school, I had 2 classes on nutrition; one was taught by our vice dean, who was previously at Stanford, and had his MD (by dissertation, from the UK) in nutrition. The other class was taught by an MD from McGill. Unfortunately, I don't know what their primary residencies were - probably IM, though. One guy who graduated from my med school did a nutrition fellowship after IM, but I don't know how long ago that was.

there are preventive medicine residincies.. here is some info: http://www.acpm.org/residency.htm

i believe that PM residencies lead to an MPH degree.. you could probably work something out since you already have one.

There is also such a thing as preventive cardiology, but I'm not sure exactly how you find that...

As for preventive med residencies - yeah, you usually get an MPH during the academic year. I believe most residencies waive that year if you already have your MPH. But, if you don't, it's a good way to get the degree since they usually pay for it.

I don't know of any formal nutrition residencies. At my hospital though, we do have a physician who does nothing but nutrition. He actually works out of the surgery dept. He does TPN and tube feed consults that helps ease the burden on the ICU teams doing most of this. So for a given patient he will insert the device (central line or enteral feeding line) and then follow them adjusting lytes, etc. daily. He also has a patient population of chronic TPN dependent people, cancer pts, short gut kids, etc., so there is a bit of an outpatient experience as well. Short of the line placements, however, its really nothing a nutritionist with a BS or MS can do. But there is a niche out there for people who look for it.