Nursing to Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irovonne

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, im currently doing a 4yr nursing degree in England. After i finish the course im thinkin of moving on and doing medicine (various reasons, i dont want to go into now). Could anyone who has any information about how i could possibly do this, get back to me pls.It doesnt have to be about studyin in the Uk, it can include the US or other countries.Thank you.

ps. I know there was some guy somewhere in this forum that did it....cant remeber he's name or were i found the posting but if neone had an inkling of wat im talkin bout, help me get in touch pls. Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

That may be me! I have just finished my first year at a UK medical school but I was a nurse prior to that. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

You may find this UK message board useful too if you havn't already found it:

http://www.medschoolguide.co.uk/forum/index.php

Hey Kev, thanx for offering your help. The BMA (British Medical Association) website had really useful information. Wat i want to know is other ppl's stories. Wat made u change careers....how did u go about doin this?...ive still got 2yrs of my course yet and i plan to finish it...nothin is set in stone yet...im either gonna do medicine or a phD. Wat do u think?

Members don't see this ad :)
irovonne said:
Hey Kev, thanx for offering your help. The BMA (British Medical Association) website had really useful information. Wat i want to know is other ppl's stories. Wat made u change careers....how did u go about doin this?...ive still got 2yrs of my course yet and i plan to finish it...nothin is set in stone yet...im either gonna do medicine or a phD. Wat do u think?
Well personally a PhD in nursing would bore me to tears :sleep:
I changed careers for many reasons but essentially I wanted a clinical career with responsibility and found nursing really didn't offer me that. The more senior I got, the less clinical my career became. But you have a couple more years to think it through and decide what is best for you.

dats wat i thot too...phD! but everyone seems to be doin it and it was just another option. Ive pretty much made up my mind that im gonna do medicine. I ave the same reason has u for wantin to do this. It suddenly struck me...only two days ago that i didnt find nursing challengin at all, the doctors get to have all the 'fun', doing the diagnosis and they ave the bulk of the responsbility. ive never been scared of hard work, so bring it on. R u in the 4yr or 5yr drg?

I am doing an accelerated 4 year course.

good for u. well thanx for all your help and hope to chat some more soon.

Just rediscovered this from years ago, wow thats still wen i was dreaming bout doin med. I got in , im so happy, start sep 2007. good luck to all those that are going for it.

[email protected]

Just rediscovered this from years ago, wow thats still wen i was dreaming bout doin med. I got in , im so happy, start sep 2007. good luck to all those that are going for it.

[email protected]

That's great news! What medical school are you going to?

I have now graduated simce we chatted online!