Nursing major, med-school bound?

AshiPanda

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. ^^ Any nursing majors out there while in pre-med? I want to go to medschool, and I am a LPN at the moment. Was thinking I'd focus on RN studies while in pre-med!

Any input?^^

Members don't see this ad.

Hey. ^^ Any nursing majors out there while in pre-med? I want to go to medschool, and I am a LPN at the moment. Was thinking I'd focus on RN studies while in pre-med!

Any input?^^

In 15 interviews I never met a nursing major. Bottom line, working as a nurse and then applying is one thing, but going to school as a nurse and applying is another. When a medical school asks you what you would do if you didn't get in this cycle, your answer should always be about improving and reapplying. If you are a nursing major, they are going to think that you aren't committed to being a doctor.

This is just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt and a shot of tequila.

it is generally not advised to major in nursing. There is a shortage of nurses as well as physicians, not to mention the ideology of nursing vs. doctoring are different in many aspects.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a Nursing major when I entered college, finished a statistics class and did a chemistry class that is only a nursing req...BIG MISTAKE. After i spoke with my pre-med advisor, he told me that it would take me another yr or 2 to finish college with my major, and go on to med school, mainly because the courses required does not over lap at all!

Well, crud! What is a recommended major? I'm really not into taking a whole bunch of courses that are going to be pointless in the end... I don't live w/ my parents and I really have to work hard whenever I am in school, so repeating things isn't really something I'd want to get into! Haha ^^;

I pretty much like anything in science.

anything in science then. The thing with nursing is that the requirements for it never really match the pre-reqs for med school.

Ie. at my uni nursing students take 2 semesters of 'chemistry', when really you need 4, 2 each of gen chem and organic.

Last edited:
Agree with above,
I recommend majoring in biology, microbiology, genetics, or chemistry. Something like that...

Well, crud! What is a recommended major? I'm really not into taking a whole bunch of courses that are going to be pointless in the end... I don't live w/ my parents and I really have to work hard whenever I am in school, so repeating things isn't really something I'd want to get into! Haha ^^;

I pretty much like anything in science.

I'd much rather have 4 years of biochemistry related studies than nursing. Trust me, nursing is not going to be any less full of pointless classes for an MD.

It's certainly not impossible to make it work, but it would slow you down considerably.

Not that I would encourage you to lie to an adcom, but you could always say that you thought of becoming a nurse, majored in nursing, then realized that being a doctor ultimately suited you. If you can back it up, it shows progress and maturity.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, I am taking each one to heart!

I have always wanted to be an obstetrician since I was little, I have always thought the field is amazing... even when I was young.

Honestly, I wanted to go to school to be a physician, but my parents could never help me financially, and none of them ever went to college, and my high school seemingly never got around to helping me learn about this whole part of life. I got great grades in high school, and did a lot of other activities like music and martial arts outside of high school, but I feel like I was not lead into college properly and had no idea how to do it being so young...

I am also very scared of borrowing so much money for school, but my "sister-in-law" just became a doctor, so I have recently been able to have someone whom I know on a personal level to ask for advice and how her experience was, so I have finally worked up the courage to go for my dreams... and stuff! Haha ^-^.

I love nursing to death, but in my head, getting into nursing was just "settling for less." Not that nursing is not as "good" as going to school to be a doctor, but it's not the epitome of my wants in life. There is just something greater that I aspire to in life. I am always wanting to learn more and it's really turning into a disease for me, lol! I'm really glad I became a Licensed Practical Nurse though. I love my job, I learn so much everyday, everyone I work with is great, and I never dread going to work (and I work the dreaded night shift and am exhausted from never sleeping... but every college student knows this feeling, hehe!).

----
I am going to look into some science majors after work tonight. Basically, is that you pick a major and do all the classes needed to get the bachealor's degree in that field, along with picking up all the requirements for pre-med?

I am thinking of going to a community college, then transferring to another college for 2 years to amount to all my pre-med needs. Is this a good thing to do? Should I first go to the university and see what is required to obtain the degree?

God, I have so many questions, I'm sorry! I sit on this forum in my spare time and read everything, everyone seems so helpful... I'm glad you're all becoming health care providers, haha! We need more kind docs! Lol.

Another thing I believe I have to accomplish is the SATs or ACTs or both. ; ; I'm not sure... this is another thing my stupid high school didn't tell me about...

Thanks for any input in advance!

<3

I would definitely not major in nursing if you know you want to go to med school. Out of 200 people in my class, I think were a total of 3 nurses, and one was an LPN. Only two actually majored in it in college.