Nurses making more than docs at UCSF County

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
And police officers in their 20s! LMAO@SF:
A San Francisco Board of Supervisors committee approved labor contracts Monday that boost police and nurse pay -- raises officials say are needed so the city can compete with nearby counties and private employers offering richer employment packages.

If the new pact receives final approval, an entry-level San Francisco police officer's salary will go from $65,500 to $70,733, and a top-level officer's salary will jump from $91,182 to $94,829 in the first year

Under the proposed contract, pay for entry-level registered nurses would increase from $98,410 to $100,255 in the first year of the pact.

Thats before overtime! wow. sucks.
Look at this:Qualifications of Applicant
Completion of RRC-approved general surgical residency - ABS eligible
Salary $76,000
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

That is pretty unbelievable. How come we're the only ones that can't have a union again?

Salary $76,000
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

This is for a fellowship, is it not? beyond that, i do think that residents are extremely underpaid.

That is pretty unbelievable. How come we're the only ones that can't have a union again?

No one is stopping a huge chunk of physicians from forming a union. The laughter is not yet loud enough. Just wait a few more years down the road; PAs and nurses are making headway while physicians are loosing ground. I wonder who's next.

icon1.gif

dont know if anyone mentioned but in big urban areas (well maybe not Salt Lake City), pole dancing would be a possibility if you are female, in good shape etc.

Kinda work your own hours, majority non-taxed tips, meet biz types/contacts. Might be a let down to finish training tho and realize you are making less than half that as a primary doc...

Sounds like you posed a problem and its solution in separate threads.

I am getting to the gym RIGHT NOW!! I wonder how much I could sell my loupes for so that I can have a pole installed.....;)

I am getting to the gym RIGHT NOW!! I wonder how much I could sell my loupes for so that I can have a pole installed.....;)

hey drtx, u have a pic to share? :D (assuming you are a girl).

You almost have to practice in smaller cities or even in rural areas these days. The major urban centers are saturated with doctors. The salaries there are pathetic. And the cost of living makes it two strikes against you.

It's definitely not like business or law, where working in New York means that you've hit the jackpot in terms of money. In fact it's the opposite.

this makes me want to yak.

The only way to stop this from getting worse and to help things improve is by banding together and demanding / showing people that we deserve to get paid more after all that we go through. I've mentioned this before and I'll mention it again, I have friends who out of their first year of college were making close to $100k. And now at the age of 25-26, a good majority of my friends are up at that level. Needless to say that by the time they are of the age people would generally finish a residency they'd be making much more.

They never had to 'take call'. Never had to apply for a 2nd degree. Never had to pay for another $100k to $200k in schooling. Don't have to pay for malpractice insurance etc. The list really goes on and on, but somehow doctors in general are either too proud or too caring to say that there is definitely something wrong with the way we're compensated (including residency).

A good majority of doctors also think that we are the ones who should change by lowering our expectations or moving to cheaper suburban areas etc. And the rest of us don't have the time or don't know where we could even go to start making progressive strides towards a situation like this with out coming off as money grubbing & shallow despite the fact that we've essentially dedicated ourselves to a lifetime of helping people.

The only way to stop this from getting worse and to help things improve is by banding together and demanding / showing people that we deserve to get paid more after all that we go through. I've mentioned this before and I'll mention it again, I have friends who out of their first year of college were making close to $100k. And now at the age of 25-26, a good majority of my friends are up at that level. Needless to say that by the time they are of the age people would generally finish a residency they'd be making much more.

They never had to 'take call'. Never had to apply for a 2nd degree. Never had to pay for another $100k to $200k in schooling. Don't have to pay for malpractice insurance etc. The list really goes on and on, but somehow doctors in general are either too proud or too caring to say that there is definitely something wrong with the way we're compensated (including residency).

A good majority of doctors also think that we are the ones who should change by lowering our expectations or moving to cheaper suburban areas etc. And the rest of us don't have the time or don't know where we could even go to start making progressive strides towards a situation like this with out coming off as money grubbing & shallow despite the fact that we've essentially dedicated ourselves to a lifetime of helping people.

Good point. Doctors are too busy trying to look cool and noble, while society is running past them. You guys are yet to see the worst. Medschools are increasing enrollment like crazy under the pretense that there is a physician shortage. If there is a shortage of physicians, why is the pay declining? seems like fuzzy economics to me. The AMA and academic medicine(who plan on profitting from this debacle) are about to flood the whole place with physicians any second. Malpractice premiums are rising even as I type this post. Politicians are determined to have physicians be the sole loosers in any "universal healthcare" scheme.

With the blitz comming from all corners, and with no offensive line, how the hell do you guys think physicians are going to come out of this on their feet? Absolutely impossible IMO.

The only way this situation is going to change in favor of us is if we make it happen. We are going to have be our own advocates!!! We need to start thinking people!!!:idea:

A way out of this is possible. We need to simply increase awareness, get people motivated, and convince them that this is something that is deserving of their time.

Physicians really need to band together on this matter. You can't have just a few physicians trying to speak up or else it'll be ignored. You basically need to get a mass together with one voice.

*Edit* Doctors also need to be convinced that this is something worth making time for. It's just a terrible situation really.

I mean maybe we do need to unionize. But then again so many unions are looked at as blue collar organizations that band together and strike. I could never do that myself and I'm sure I speak for almost all of us on that.

I literally scratch my head over this issue everyday.

You almost have to practice in smaller cities or even in rural areas these days. The major urban centers are saturated with doctors. The salaries there are pathetic. And the cost of living makes it two strikes against you.

It's definitely not like business or law, where working in New York means that you've hit the jackpot in terms of money. In fact it's the opposite.

I'm pretty sure doctors that work in top hospitals in NYC (of which there are many) make a whole lot.

I'm pretty sure doctors that work in top hospitals in NYC (of which there are many) make a whole lot.

The average pay in places like New York for doctors is low compared to elsewhere in the country. Averages vs. outliers.

i have seen doctors in florida go on "strike" effectively. there was a group of neurosurgeon who simply stopped providing neuro trauma services in central florida because it was too expensive to do so, and while it got in the news for a bit, not much changed in the end. in fact, much of the commentary pointed out how the patients were the ones most hurt because now they have to travel further via helicopter to get to a hospital with neurosurgeons available.

i see a lot of complaining in this thread, and i think there are some legit complaints about doctor compensation, especially as residents. i would make 2 counterpoints though:
1) no one forced any of us to be doctors. supposedly we were all well informed of the situation we were getting into, and we all chose medicine for whatever reason - prestige, desire to help people, money, etc.
2) MD = guaranteed decent salary. if you get an MD/DO, do a residency in something, then you're guaranteed a pretty good salary with very good job security. we can complain all we want, but even the FP making 80K per year is living just fine and better than most. no other profession has this security. someone mentioned 25 year old friends making 100K - i have those too, but i also have friends making 30K with little upward potential. so while i agree there are some people similar age making more than a doc with less schooling and far less debt, they all took a chance, while none of us have that concern. P = MD = minimum decent salary.

all that said, i'd still like to see resident salaries up in the $60K range - for that number of hours it just doesn't seem fair to earn so little while residents provide much of the day to day labor that runs hospital units.

1) no one forced any of us to be doctors.

No one forced any sanitation worker to be a sanitation worker, presumably they were well informed about the work conditions, pay and benefits before they started working. Yet many of them have gone on strike. Autoworkers in this nation are some of the best paid partially skilled labor, and they've gone on strike.

This is disingenuous point on your part, no one can truly know the working conditions and how the down sides truly effect a profession, and one profession should not be told to shut up and take it over any other profession. I'm not even sure I agree with Regan when he shut down the Air traffic controllers organization from striking, but that's long gone and another story which has nothing to do with us as we're not a government union. Other than for slaves, your argument has little merit.

2) MD = guaranteed decent salary.

But someone else's definition of a decent salary in face of insurmountable student loans in unacceptable.

we can complain all we want, but even the FP making 80K per year is living just fine and better than most.

On that income, I would not be very well off and barely a step above what I am now. The only difference is that I'd be actually paying my student loans (with payments which will be ~1600/month over 30 years) and this would bring my actual living wages down to the 60K/year range. I'm sorry, but this is not fine and it definitely is not ok. 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school and a minimum 3 years of residency for what someone else dictates as a fine living wage is unacceptable. Pay me what I'm worth.

but i also have friends making 30K with little upward potential.

And do tell what profession are they in and what training have they had?

so while i agree there are some people similar age making more than a doc with less schooling and far less debt, they all took a chance, while none of us have that concern.

Most of us took a chance as well. What exactly could I have done with my BS degree in Chemistry/bio? The only job I could have obtained would be as a lab monkey contracted out to someone like the EPA for less than 40k per year with little benefits. But I guess you were guaranteed a spot in medical school?

all that said, i'd still like to see resident salaries up in the $60K range - for that number of hours it just doesn't seem fair to earn so little while residents provide much of the day to day labor that runs hospital units.

This is the first thing you've said that I agree with.

i don't know how to split up the quoting feature, so i'll just try to reply in turn.

of course no one forced a sanitation worker to do that job - you're as free to quit and look for a better job as they are. i'm not sure what exactly your point is in the first paragraph - i don't have an objection to docs unionizing, however i would have a problem if docs were forced to join a union.

i happen to agree that the pay for primary care docs stinks, and with the loans we have is almost prohibitive. however there are still 3 applications to med school for every spot, and until that changes there's nothing we can do. people are willing to do this job for the current pay, and as long as enough qualified people graduate and do the job for the current pay, there's nothing we can do.

you say "pay me what i'm worth" - again, for residency i agree it's a raw deal, and we could get into a huge discussion about the match and whether it violates the sherman anti-trust act. i have mixed feelings about that subject, as i can see both sides of the argument. but let's ignore that since it's only 3-8 years for most people. if you don't feel you're being paid what you're worth, then don't take the job. it really is that simple. we all have choices, and if you choose that making $90K to do general pediatriacs isn't worth it, then don't. however someone else will, so unless a particular applicant brings something special to the negotiating table, it's gonna be tough to be a significantly higher salary than other docs doing the same thing in your geographic region.

as to my friends making around 30K - some are teachers, one's an EMT, one works at a TV station. they've all had 4 years of bachelor's level education. however i also have friends with 4 of undergrad making 70K and up already - they're mostly in engineering or business. engineering i would argue is a very safe bet, however i also have friends with business bachelor's degrees making far less. my point was that after residency everyone with an MD/DO who works full time should pull in at least 80K.

you make a fair point with the 'take a chance' paragraph. i too have a BS that's pretty much worthless. and with the 3:1 ratio mentioned above, it is a chance. but it was a choice i made, and that's the theme of my entire discussion. i chose to go for med school by doing a BS in bio, and of course i wasn't guaranteed a spot, but i think that i made an educated choice to go for it when i saw that i was able to pass and do well in gen bio and chem after my freshman year.

this is not an easy discussion, but i think it's a good one to have. i respectfully disagree with your premise because at the end of it all, we're adults and we have the ability to choose what we want to do with our lives. we've chosen to be docs. i agree it's not possible to be fully informed about what we're getting ourselves into, but hopefully we all had a pretty good idea. we all could choose to walk away, but there would be plenty of people behind us wanting to do what we do. perhaps they too would eventually complain because i strongly agree there are inequalities in healthcare financing. i think it's disgusting for HMO middle managers to make almost as much as primary care docs. i think it's horrible that it takes an act of G-d to pay for some preventative healthcare items. but i also think our best strategy is to work with legislators to make changes one at a time. changes that are in our best interests, and the best interests of patients.

I could not have said it better myself.

There needs to be a physicians Union. It is a historical fact in the United States and the rest of the world that businesses will take advantage of all workers unless they organize, set demands and standards.

mlwo3 is a perfect example of a physician who has no clue.

Keep selling yourself short. See anyone cares. They are laughing at you.

Pay me what I'm worth.

This is all I ask. If we can pay athletes enormous sums of money to entertain us, but we choose to pay physicians far less to keep us alive or improve our quality of life --what does that say about our society? I pay a mechanic good money to get my car running. I'd be willing to pay teachers more. I have no problems with nurses doing a great job and making good money. These people (the productive ones) serve invaluable roles in society. Why are physicians so much less important that it [society] goes out of its way to not pay us commensurate with the type of service that we provide, our level of education, and the fact that we work our @sses off (well, most of us) to improve quality of life?

/rant

Another example of screwed up priorities:

I was talking with a physician whose collegue had a broken garage door a couple of weeks ago. He got it repaired & went into work to perform an emergency cardiac cath, literally saving someone's life. He got reimbursed less for the cath than the repairman charged for the garage door.

of course no one forced a sanitation worker to do that job - you're as free to quit and look for a better job as they are. i'm not sure what exactly your point is in the first paragraph - i don't have an objection to docs unionizing, however i would have a problem if docs were forced to join a union.

Here's the point; people who didn't like the benefits of their job in other professions took the time to do something about it and I'd be there weren't too many sanitation workings telling their co-workers to settle down, we make enough.

i happen to agree that the pay for primary care docs stinks, and with the loans we have is almost prohibitive. however there are still 3 applications to med school for every spot,

This line of reasoning makes absolutely no sense. How many people apply to med school has absolutely nothing to do with the demand for our services, especially when there is a 7 year delay in introducing them to the mix. In fact, there is a growing demand for our services and we're not keeping up to even maintain the pt to dr ratios and yet our pay is dropping.

you say "pay me what i'm worth" - again, for residency i agree it's a raw deal, and we could get into a huge discussion about the match and whether it violates the sherman anti-trust act. i have mixed feelings about that subject, as i can see both sides of the argument. but let's ignore that since it's only 3-8 years for most people.

It does violate the Sherman anti-trust act, and removes all means for negotiation of pay. And frankly, the argument that it's only a few years is again ignoring that we've already dedicated 8 years of post-high school education towards this and it's only 3 more years of chump change, piss poor hours, and everything else that goes along with it?

if you don't feel you're being paid what you're worth, then don't take the job. it really is that simple.

Actually it isn't that simple. As a newly graduated physician, my degree is worthless without post-graduate training, I can't see pts, can't get malpractice insurance, can't even get a state license. They kinda have me by the balls, now don't they? Negotiating realizes that we do have something to offer, even as interns, residents, we contribute and are the back bone of many hospitals. I know several hospitals which absolutely could not keep their doors open were it not for their residencies.

we all have choices, and if you choose that making $90K to do general pediatriacs isn't worth it, then don't. however someone else will, so unless a particular applicant brings something special to the negotiating table, it's gonna be tough to be a significantly higher salary than other docs doing the same thing in your geographic region.

You choose the profession, not the pay. But Peds is a whole different ball of wax. They have the highest rate of insured, yet the lowest pay? How does that make any sense?

as to my friends making around 30K - some are teachers, one's an EMT, one works at a TV station. they've all had 4 years of bachelor's level education.

EMT's do not require 4 years of bachelor level education, and any teacher with only a bachelor is not going to be making nearly what those with a masters will make. The EMT could become a paramedic, the teacher could get her masters, there is their choice. They settled and choose not to go on in their education/training.

however i also have friends with 4 of undergrad making 70K and up already - they're mostly in engineering or business. engineering i would argue is a very safe bet, however i also have friends with business bachelor's degrees making far less. my point was that after residency everyone with an MD/DO who works full time should pull in at least 80K.

and with an average of 150k in student loans, this seems equitable how?

you make a fair point with the 'take a chance' paragraph. i too have a BS that's pretty much worthless. and with the 3:1 ratio mentioned above, it is a chance. but it was a choice i made, and that's the theme of my entire discussion. i chose to go for med school by doing a BS in bio, and of course i wasn't guaranteed a spot, but i think that i made an educated choice to go for it when i saw that i was able to pass and do well in gen bio and chem after my freshman year.

and again, the number of applicants has absolutely nothing to do with the demand of our services.

this is not an easy discussion, but i think it's a good one to have. i respectfully disagree with your premise because at the end of it all, we're adults and we have the ability to choose what we want to do with our lives. we've chosen to be docs.

So we should shut up and take what some over glorified secretary who works in the Medicare/caid dictates what our pay should be? And then we should shut up when insurance dictates that they will only pay what the government pays?

i agree it's not possible to be fully informed about what we're getting ourselves into, but hopefully we all had a pretty good idea.

So you're telling me that as an undergrad you understood the intricacies of how the reimbursement system works and the downsides to it along with the startling trends of physician pay? I do not believe you. I still have a hard time fully comprehending how the leglalese works.

but i also think our best strategy is to work with legislators to make changes one at a time. changes that are in our best interests, and the best interests of patients.

Here's an idea. Changes which are in our best interest to keep us happy, is in the best interest of the pt. If physicians start leaving the profession, the pts will be SOL. Never mind that the legislation tends to be made up of lawyers and that the med-mal lawyers associations lobby far more than we do. We are our own worst enemy. If we truly wanted things to change, we'd actually do something about it instead of sitting here basically twiddling our thumbs afraid to speak out because people have this view that we're overpaid, arrogant sobs who's pay should be reduced.

This is all I ask. If we can pay athletes enormous sums of money to entertain us, but we choose to pay physicians far less to keep us alive or improve our quality of life --what does that say about our society? I pay a mechanic good money to get my car running. I'd be willing to pay teachers more. I have no problems with nurses doing a great job and making good money. These people (the productive ones) serve invaluable roles in society. Why are physicians so much less important that it [society] goes out of its way to not pay us commensurate with the type of service that we provide, our level of education, and the fact that we work our @sses off (well, most of us) to improve quality of life?

/rant

People will always want to pay the least amount possible. And since they hear stories of "Great free health care in every other modern society" they belief the amount paid should be zero. Now they cant' get away with zero but they will certainly not tolerate fair payment for physicians.

i don't know how to split up the quoting feature, so i'll just try to reply in turn.

i happen to agree that the pay for primary care docs stinks, and with the loans we have is almost prohibitive. however there are still 3 applications to med school for every spot, and until that changes there's nothing we can do. people are willing to do this job for the current pay, and as long as enough qualified people graduate and do the job for the current pay, there's nothing we can do.

you say "pay me what i'm worth" - again, for residency i agree it's a raw deal, and we could get into a huge discussion about the match and whether it violates the sherman anti-trust act. i have mixed feelings about that subject, as i can see both sides of the argument. but let's ignore that since it's only 3-8 years for most people. if you don't feel you're being paid what you're worth, then don't take the job. it really is that simple. we all have choices, and if you choose that making $90K to do general pediatriacs isn't worth it, then don't. however someone else will, so unless a particular applicant brings something special to the negotiating table, it's gonna be tough to be a significantly higher salary than other docs doing the same thing in your geographic region.

as to my friends making around 30K - some are teachers, one's an EMT, one works at a TV station. they've all had 4 years of bachelor's level education. however i also have friends with 4 of undergrad making 70K and up already - they're mostly in engineering or business. engineering i would argue is a very safe bet, however i also have friends with business bachelor's degrees making far less. my point was that after residency everyone with an MD/DO who works full time should pull in at least 80K.

this is not an easy discussion, but i think it's a good one to have. i respectfully disagree with your premise because at the end of it all, we're adults and we have the ability to choose what we want to do with our lives. we've chosen to be docs. i agree it's not possible to be fully informed about what we're getting ourselves into, but hopefully we all had a pretty good idea. we all could choose to walk away, but there would be plenty of people behind us wanting to do what we do. perhaps they too would eventually complain because i strongly agree there are inequalities in healthcare financing. i think it's disgusting for HMO middle managers to make almost as much as primary care docs. i think it's horrible that it takes an act of G-d to pay for some preventative healthcare items. but i also think our best strategy is to work with legislators to make changes one at a time. changes that are in our best interests, and the best interests of patients.

I am truly disappointed that you have this view. I hope it changes when you start billing for your services and notice how little you get paid for them.

you all seem quite angry at me - perhaps my views will change post-residency. i hope that some of the energy ya'll have put into making your points to me gets put towards speaking with the people making the decisions. or maybe it'll take an entire city's worth of docs in a given specialty to literally go on strike until there's enough media attention and outrage to yield a change. but don't expect much sympathy from society at large. docs are still seen as making good money, whatever the reality is.

if enough of you out there want to unionize, what's stopping you? form one and then try to collectively argue for the betterment of your members. if you can offer docs benefits greater than the cost of being in a union then you would presumably gain increasing membership and bargaining power.

hernandez: i'm not saying anyone should shut up. i'm saying that after making our points there either will be change or there won't, and then you can choose to continue being a doctor or not. i hope you don't shut up - you're clearly passionate about this and whether we agree or not, it's good when passionate people are involved. however please don't imply i think doctor pay should be reduced - i think some docs are overpaid, but most deserve more than they get. nor do i claim to understand billing intricacies - never did, never will. by saying applicants should be informed i meant they should be informed about work hours, demands on their time, and approximately how much specialties they're thinking about make. if someone says: "60 hours per week for 90K as a pediatrician is worth it to me" then that's their choice. if that same person said: "screw this - i'll be an engineer" then that's their choice too.

and again - i'm not blowing off the whole issue of resident salaries and violating Sherman. i'm just saying i don't want to get into that discussion here. 1 year isn't "chump change", however that topic another discussion for another thread. feel free to start one and let's discuss it there.

again, i hope all of you that seem so frustrated by my comments make these same arguments to the decion-makers, not just MS4s. most importantly, make the arguments to the voters because 50 million angry voters can make quite a bit more happen than can however many hundred thousands physicians we have in this country.

People will always want to pay the least amount possible.

Clearly that's everyone's #1 priority, but I watch people willing to shell out upwards of $130/ticket for a single NFL game AND then they turn around and b*tch about their $25 co-pay. It sickens me.

Clearly that's everyone's #1 priority, but I watch people willing to shell out upwards of $130/ticket for a single NFL game AND then they turn around and b*tch about their $25 co-pay. It sickens me.

Yep pretty much. The thing about NFL tickets is no one has the perception it should be free. Where as people believe health care should be based on what they believe other countries do (free for all without consequences) and what Michael Moore said when he was on Oprah or 20/20.

I truly believe that if a group got enough PR time they could convince the American public that they shouldn't have to pay a dime for cars. Not the car itself, the gas, or even the care of said car. Then hit them with the blitz campaign ala free health care. Maybe even have Michael Moore make a movie about cars. He could follow around Lightning McQeen and tell him he's a bastard. The idea seems ridiculous but plant a seed in the publics head that something should be free and it will spread like wildfire.

These people (the productive ones) serve invaluable roles in society. Why are physicians so much less important that it [society] goes out of its way to not pay us commensurate with the type of service that we provide, our level of education, and the fact that we work our @sses off (well, most of us) to improve quality of life?

Physicians actually have a pretty bad public image, and for a long time physicians have not cared. Sure your family will adore the fact you're a doctor and your patients will in general love you. But the vast majority of the population will not. Just look at the medical section at Barnes and Noble. All the books about what is wrong with medicine have a doc right there on the front cover. Can you imagine the uproar nurses would have if they were on the cover? Another great thing cover I noticed was on a book called "Nurse." Right there under the title was the tag line of "Doctors don't keep you alive, I DO." So much for the team model eh?

So in addition to people just flat out not wanting to pay for anything you have to fight the image of
-You are whats wrong with health care
-You are a rich elitist
-You make all these mistakes
-You are keeping the real cures from me. The kind that Dr so and so advertises on TV at 3 AM. The stuff "you don't want me to know"
-You don't even do the work. Nurses do all the work. (I actually had a few upitdy undergrads tell me this)
Heck if I believed all that I wouldn't want that person to be paid either.

you all seem quite angry at me - perhaps my views will change post-residency. i hope that some of the energy ya'll have put into making your points to me gets put towards speaking with the people making the decisions.

The staffers at my reps offices know me well.

or maybe it'll take an entire city's worth of docs in a given specialty to literally go on strike until there's enough media attention and outrage to yield a change.

exactly

but don't expect much sympathy from society at large. docs are still seen as making good money, whatever the reality is.

And the reality needs to be addressed, especially for many new primary care physicians.

if enough of you out there want to unionize, what's stopping you? form one and then try to collectively argue for the betterment of your members. if you can offer docs benefits greater than the cost of being in a union then you would presumably gain increasing membership and bargaining power.

Again, anti-trust laws. a few examples include

FTC v. Indiana Federation of Dentists.
United States v. Federation of Certified Surgeons and Specialists, et al.
United States v. Federation of Physicians and Dentists, Inc.
United States v. Oregon Dental Service
United States v. Greater Bridgeport Individual Practice Ass'n, Inc.​

If we unionized to boycott or try to "price fix" by stating that the billing system does not reimburse us enough (whether direct against the government or insurance companies) the government would be all over us with the Sherman Act.

hernandez: i'm not saying anyone should shut up. i'm saying that after making our points there either will be change or there won't, and then you can choose to continue being a doctor or not.

Your point is very easy to grasp, but what I see in your point is a hint of apathy in changing things.

i hope you don't shut up - you're clearly passionate about this and whether we agree or not, it's good when passionate people are involved. however please don't imply i think doctor pay should be reduced

- i think some docs are overpaid, but most deserve more than they get.

I'm just curious who you think is overpaid? I do not begrudge any physician who actually works for their money their salary. But I do firmly believe that the vast majority of physicians are underpaid, especially when you look at our education levels, our work conditions/hours, liability burden, etc. at some point these things must be factored into the salary equation.

nor do i claim to understand billing intricacies - never did, never will. by saying applicants should be informed i meant they should be informed about work hours, demands on their time, and approximately how much specialties they're thinking about make. if someone says: "60 hours per week for 90K as a pediatrician is worth it to me" then that's their choice. if that same person said: "screw this - i'll be an engineer" then that's their choice too.

If you can show me an honest, and accurate average of physician salaries, you might have a point.

and again - i'm not blowing off the whole issue of resident salaries and violating Sherman. i'm just saying i don't want to get into that discussion here. 1 year isn't "chump change", however that topic another discussion for another thread. feel free to start one and let's discuss it there.

fair enough.

again, i hope all of you that seem so frustrated by my comments make these same arguments to the decion-makers, not just MS4s. most importantly, make the arguments to the voters because 50 million angry voters can make quite a bit more happen than can however many hundred thousands physicians we have in this country.

I take the time to try and educate people, if the topic of money comes up and they imply that i'm a rich bastard, I educate them about how much student debt I have, how long I've been in school compared to my friends who have been working for 7 years already making 2 to 3 times what I do as a resident.

We should campaign to emphasis the burden of medical school debts and the prohibitive nature that it will have (if the trend continues the way it is going) on producing new physicians.

Yep pretty much. The thing about NFL tickets is no one has the perception it should be free. Where as people believe health care should be based on what they believe other countries do (free for all without consequences) and what Michael Moore said when he was on Oprah or 20/20.

I truly believe that if a group got enough PR time they could convince the American public that they shouldn't have to pay a dime for cars. Not the car itself, the gas, or even the care of said car. Then hit them with the blitz campaign ala free health care. Maybe even have Michael Moore make a movie about cars. He could follow around Lightning McQeen and tell him he's a bastard. The idea seems ridiculous but plant a seed in the publics head that something should be free and it will spread like wildfire.

I think you finally hit the nail's head. That is indeed why everyone thinks healthcare is a right... other countries provide it (at whatever quality they are willing to do so) for little/free. Most of the time, if they want a fancy procedure or a surgery done.... go to the US (if you can afford it.)

Welcome to the world of socialized medicine and Michael Moore's "Sicko".

Of course, he has his millions, will get the best healthcare, and will live above the rules of the sheeple, but you know how communists roll!

Thats before overtime! wow. sucks.
Salary $76,000
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem here is perception. Physicians work very hard to become educated, they take on a lot of debt and work crazy hours. Even post-residency, they work WAY more hours a week than most people. They deserve a good salary.

But, the problem is one of perception. To the average guy on the street, they don't consider the sacrifices or level of education or the amount of hours you work or the fact that you save lives. All they know is "doctors make a ton of money." Think about it, when you ask people to name a high-paying job, what do they say? Doctor is always at the top of the list. Nevermind that there a tons of people out there in business that make WAY more money. Never mind that that neighborhood near me where the $800K homes are is inhabited mostly be people who are NOT doctors (bankers, lawyers, stock borkers etc.) In the mind of the public, doctors make a lot of money.

And so we see class-envy at it's worst. "They have what I want." People want free health-care, big surprise. There is an entitlement mentality among people. No one looks at the big house and the nice car and says, "What do I have to do to get that?" They say, "I should have that." And they expect someone to give it to them. Like the previous poster said, a good PR campaign wouldn't have a hard time convincing people that a car is a "right".

So, people see a doctor making $90K a year and complaining about it and they say, "greedy doctor!" So, I agree, doctors SHOULD make good money. Residents especially should make more money. But you're going to have a hard time convincing people of that by complaining. Look at the backlash that came out of the MLB strike a few years back. Or when Latrell Spreewell said, "I've got a family to feed."

Before you say, "well, Spreewell was making $14M and didn't have a ton of debt" I'll say that people don't make the distinction. They say, "I may $30K a year. $80K sounds good to me and if that doctor is complaining it's not enough, he's ungrateful." In order to win people over, you need to convince them to change the entitelment, class-envy mentality to one that looks at the nice life someone has and says, "That guy worked hard for that, he deserves it."

As soon as you figure out how to do that, let me know....

Interesting thread I began here. I dont want read all the contributions of other posters mainly because I dont care. Ive already figured this one out. In my first 3 years of practice I will have paid off all my debt and put several hundred K in the bank. If my income drops, then my effort will correspondingly drop.

15% decrease in reimbursement will result in a 15% tapering back of my time giving a ****.

50% cut? good luck in ever contacting me. I will sit at home and sign out cases while drinking mojitos and mimosas. When it gets to the point where it is just too much paperwork and Im bored, I will leave.

Moral of this: Americans will get what they pay for. They want **** cheap, then they sit around and bleed out while begging someone to help em.

The reason physicians are getting killed is because they are in fact complacent. There is nothing preventing resident doctors from not only forming a national union, but also going on strike. As a matter of fact, if there was ever a group of people that deserve a union on planet earth, it would be resident doctors. Everything from wages, work conditions etc is tilted against residents. Do you see any unions? No. Think about this, not only are residents not getting payed well, there is no adjustment of their pay for inflation, and now there is even talks of cutting residents pay via cuts to GME funding. That is what happens when people can't fight for themselves.

A residents union would serve as a symbol of physicians' will to start fighting back, something physicians either don't know how to do, or don't care to do. The complacency is however costing physicians big time, and look for it to get worse. It just does not make any sense to me that physicians are walking around without any meaningfull protection.

Antitrust laws prevent physicians from collectively bargaining, but physicians can form a union if they want. Who says the first fight has to be with insurance companies. Physicians could start off by fighting to be exempt from those restrictions, as those antitrust laws were not designed to create the type of handicap that physicians have today. A physicians union could also fight to bring down the whole malpractice abuse thing, and bring down premiums, which translates to increased income. If physicians had a aggressive union, I bet you politicians would not be in a hurry to introduce legislation that calls for taxing doctors to pay for universal healthcare.

Moral of the story is: physicians are the ones holding themselves back.

The reason physicians are getting killed is because they are in fact complacent. There is nothing preventing resident doctors from not only forming a national union, but also going on strike. As a matter of fact, if there was ever a group of people that deserve a union on planet earth, it would be resident doctors. Everything from wages, work conditions etc is tilted against residents. Do you see any unions? No. Think about this, not only are residents not getting payed well, there is no adjustment of their pay for inflation, and now there is even talks of cutting residents pay via cuts to GME funding. That is what happens when people can't fight for themselves.

A residents union would serve as a symbol of physicians' will to start fighting back, something physicians either don't know how to do, or don't care to do. The complacency is however costing physicians big time, and look for it to get worse. It just does not make any sense to me that physicians are walking around without any meaningfull protection.

Antitrust laws prevent physicians from collectively bargaining, but physicians can form a union if they want. Who says the first fight has to be with insurance companies. Physicians could start off by fighting to be exempt from those restrictions, as those antitrust laws were not designed to create the type of handicap that physicians have today. A physicians union could also fight to bring down the whole malpractice abuse thing, and bring down premiums, which translates to increased income. If physicians had a aggressive union, I bet you politicians would not be in a hurry to introduce legislation that calls for taxing doctors to pay for universal healthcare.

Moral of the story is: physicians are the ones holding themselves back.

I almost completely disagree with your methods, but I couldn't agree more with your moral. By and large, for such a bright group of people, physicians can be pretty stupid.

Many people see healthcare as a right, and will be damned if you tell them otherwise.

Nurses are overworked and underpaid as well yet they just deal with it. No one other than doctors will sympathize with doctors. They don't care if you had to go through 4 yrs of school with debt and work long hours for the rest of your life they just point to other professions like vets who have to pay for school and make 40k yet it just as competetive as med school. They would also state that other doctors in other countries make less than their American counterparts and that our healthcare as a whole is horrible.

Let's face the salary for doctors will continue to down and signs point to medicine becoming socialized in the future what with the baby boomer population.

What are the arguments to the public and other proffesions are you guys going to give to reverse the declining trend in your salary? The current ones that we have just won't cut it.

They would also state that other doctors in other countries make less than their American counterparts

You could also point out that one could outsource their job for about a 1/5th of the price. Ouch. :smuggrin:

and that our healthcare as a whole is horrible.

Don't agree with that at all. In fact our health care is pretty damn good. Although you are right that they would indeed point out that misperception.

Many people see healthcare as a right, and will be damned if you tell them otherwise.

Nurses are overworked and underpaid as well yet they just deal with it. No one other than doctors will sympathize with doctors. They don't care if you had to go through 4 yrs of school with debt and work long hours for the rest of your life they just point to other professions like vets who have to pay for school and make 40k yet it just as competetive as med school. They would also state that other doctors in other countries make less than their American counterparts and that our healthcare as a whole is horrible.

Let's face the salary for doctors will continue to down and signs point to medicine becoming socialized in the future what with the baby boomer population.

What are the arguments to the public and other proffesions are you guys going to give to reverse the declining trend in your salary? The current ones that we have just won't cut it.

I personally don't give a rats ass about vets, nor do I care what the hell is going on with doctors in some foreign country. All I know is that **** aint adding up in the medical community in America. Those that think they are going to "argue" their way out of this mess are simply dreaming. If any physician thinks the public is going to sympathize with them anytime soon, they must be high on some low grade stuff.

HMOs, insurance companies, and medmal lawyers are posting record profits, yet anytime I get on SDN some ****** is trying to blame the healthcare crisis on physicians' income. Do you not see PAs, NPs and everyone else in the medical community experiencing factorial increases in pay, I dont see anyone blaming them for anything. Do doctors deserve to be well compensated for what they do? you damn right. Do Nurses deserve to get payed well? yes they do, and that has nothing to do vets or doctors in third world countries. It is simply an issue of who is fighting the hardest for their rights, and physicians are doing a lousy job at that.

Many people think many things..doesn't mean they are correct.

Healthcare is not a right.
Are nurses underpaid? Obviously not @ UCSF and many other places. Market dictates their salaries.

The market hardly dictates doctor salaries..The socialist gov't system does.

Vets are worth whatever the market pays. Oh, and btw, humans > animals, so the market will value doctors more than vets.

Our economy nor policies should not be based on "what other countries do"...Most countries in this world are terrible places to live. It should be based on what's the best system, and socialism fails. Capitalism wins every time.

Doctors salaries will only keep going down if the socialists win. Americans are overall not socialists, but they will take universal healthcare over the current system, which is a bad mix of both.

Take cash, run efficient businesses, and above all, keep the patient/doctor relationship at the center of things. You'll see prices go down, quality go up, and salaries skyrocket.

I think that touched every point..

P.S. Doctors will also be screwed if Hillary/Obama/Edwards/Any democrat is elected. Let's all make sure something terrible like that doesn't happen.

http://gasforums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=5116740#post5116740

Good luck in Organic Chemistry and Physics.

Is Economics a requirement for graduation?

All the best..

P.S. Doctors will also be screwed if Hillary/Obama/Edwards/Any democrat is elected. Let's all make sure something terrible like that doesn't happen.

I think physicians tend to lose no matter who is in the White House.

Coastie said:
Take cash, run efficient businesses, and above all, keep the patient/doctor relationship at the center of things.

While I am all for people taking a more personal financial responsibility for their medical care, I find it improbable that you will solely be able to take cash only in most practices, with the exception of plastics and derm, where usually the wealthy or upper middle class go for their "elective procedures." Cash only makes it hard to "keep the patient/doctor relationship at the center of things".

I disagree.

Cut out the middle man, and it's just the patient and the doctor.

Who gets better care..pts who go to a doc who takes $75 flat for a 30 min visit, seeing 16-20 patients a day? With low overhead and efficiency, he could be clicking.

Or does the HMO/Medicaid guy, who gets "free" healthcare, but in reality gets a frazzled doc who can't pay the lights, nor the 3 extra workers checking the billing codes, all for $15 for a complex new patient visit? The doc makes so little on the event, that, due to his overhead alone, he has to zip through these guys like a warm knife through butter, which not only drives him nuts and fatigued, but compounds upon itself day after day after day, leading to decreased quality all around.

Now you tell me which situation is better for a) patients, b) doctors, c) society.

#1 is great. #2 is awful, and is what happens when socialism is put into the equation. #1 rules for patients, docs, and society, and #2 plain sucks for everyone, except maybe Michael Moore, who has his money, and wants others to live by he and buddy Castro's (may he rot in hell) principles.

As a very successful and well-loved doctor told me once..Never take what medicaid/medicare give. Keep the patient-doctor relationship at the center of your practice, and the rest will flow.

I think physicians tend to lose no matter who is in the White House.

While I am all for people taking a more personal financial responsibility for their medical care, I find it improbable that you will solely be able to take cash only in most practices, with the exception of plastics and derm, where usually the wealthy or upper middle class go for their "elective procedures." Cash only makes it hard to "keep the patient/doctor relationship at the center of things".

I disagree.

Cut out the middle man, and it's just the patient and the doctor.

Who gets better care..pts who go to a doc who takes $75 flat for a 30 min visit, seeing 16-20 patients a day? With low overhead and efficiency, he could be clicking.

Or does the HMO/Medicaid guy, who gets "free" healthcare, but in reality gets a frazzled doc who can't pay the lights, nor the 3 extra workers checking the billing codes, all for $15 for a complex new patient visit? The doc makes so little on the event, that, due to his overhead alone, he has to zip through these guys like a warm knife through butter, which not only drives him nuts and fatigued, but compounds upon itself day after day after day, leading to decreased quality all around.

Now you tell me which situation is better for a) patients, b) doctors, c) society.

#1 is great. #2 is awful, and is what happens when socialism is put into the equation. #1 rules for patients, docs, and society, and #2 plain sucks for everyone, except maybe Michael Moore, who has his money, and wants others to live by he and buddy Castro's (may he rot in hell) principles.

As a very successful and well-loved doctor told me once..Never take what medicaid/medicare give. Keep the patient-doctor relationship at the center of your practice, and the rest will flow.

Your model could work in a primary care setting, but would likely fail in scenarios when we are talking medical procedures that cost more than a few thousand dollars. I'm not sure how many of your patients would be able to pay cash for something like that (read: few). BTW, I am not advocating "free" health care-- I'm suggesting that a cash only practice outside of a clinic based specialty (ie. no big procedures) would not work.

Your model could work in a primary care setting, but would likely fail in scenarios when we are talking medical procedures that cost more than a few thousand dollars. I'm not sure how many of your patients would be able to pay cash for something like that (read: few). BTW, I am not advocating "free" health care-- I'm suggesting that a cash only practice outside of a clinic based specialty (ie. no big procedures) would not work.

Thus logic would tell us that medical insurance should function like every other type of insurance, covering catastrophic events but having the individual pay for the regular upkeep.

You're right; I was focusing it on primary care.

Cash only, unless within a high deductible HSA (which has an insurance policy kicking in after about a 3-5k deduct), isn't feasible for, say, neurosurgery.

I gotta tell ya, though..I know a gen surg who takes cash only for procedures and makes a KILLING. He doesn't kill himself with work, and provides outstanding care to the few who can pay.

This isn't feasible for the entire public, but an HSA is. Socialized medicine is not.

Exactly!!

HSA's and urgent care centers are two of the key things we need to relieve ER's and drive down healthcare prices.

Oh yeah, med mal reform/caps, and less government involvement/bureaucracy in medical/research management.

Thus logic would tell us that medical insurance should function like every other type of insurance, covering catastrophic events but having the individual pay for the regular upkeep.

I am just a pre-med, so my opinion is worthless. But...I don't get why you guys (residents I presume) go on these boards and rant all day. Who do you think will listen to that? Why don't you actually DO something about it, so in a few years (when I get to have my fun) it will be better. Why do you not do anything...??? I don't get this??