Nurse for DNP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thenursingstudent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Please forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post in. I'd appreciate opinions and suggestions on this matter.

I am a 3rd year BSN student. I have experience as a PCA and nurse extern.

My classmates and I often talk about our dreams, and are encouraged by our teachers, regarding furthering our education for a MNP and DNP.

I want a DNP eventually, but I don't like the idea of thinking it's equal to an MD/DO, or having that autonomy equal to an MD/DO. I want the DNP to have the highest education I can receive in nursing, and I want to specialize in psychiatry. I only receive one semester of mental health nursing in the BSN program.

That said, I'd really much like to know what physicians think about nurses and when they should pursue a higher level of education please. I have been told that getting med/surg experience is needed for new nurses. I agree because our clinical hours are so little. I wish this could be changed in nursing education, but I digress!!

In your opinions from experience, what do you think about nurses to go to graduate school immediately after earning a nursing degree and work? I was informed that grad school is like a full time job with the clinical hours you need to put in, so that work might be limited to per diem for many. Also there are a few BSN to DNP programs that are more intense.

The reason I am asking on a forum for medical students and physicians is first, that I already know how nurses feel. The younger generations largely feel that going right to grad school is a good thing if you are sure of the field you want to specialize in. The older generations, who mostly waited themselves, say to wait. Secondly, I think physicians and med students know what makes a good nurse too.

Again..I just want to stress that I don't think a DNP = an MD/DO. I don't like what I read about that discussion, including nursing organizations claiming it. You know it's just that for myself and my patients, I want the education, and know the specialty I'd like. I'm a big planner....

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I reaaaaaaally don't think you're going to find many people who can answer your question here. Most people here are MPH/MS students or applicants.

Maybe try the "clinicians" forum? Seems like that's for RNs. Or the regular MD or DO forums if you want advice from people with those degrees.