Number of Years for an EM Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ParalelUni

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone:

While researching EM residencies, I have come across some confusing nomenclature that I was hoping you could help clear up:

1-4 programs: There are 15 of these four year programs.

2-4 programs: There are 16 of these three year programs (3 years after a separate 1 year internship)

1-3 programs: There are 94 of these three year programs (3 years including the internship year)

I took this the "1-3" to indicate a program that is one year of internship and two subsequent postgraduate years of EM residency for a total of three years. Furthermore, I thought that the "1-4" was meant to indicate a program that had one year of internship and three subsequent postgraduate years of EM residency for a total of four years...

However, when I was checking FREIDA, I came across this information:

FREIDA Online Specialty Training Statistics Information

Emergency Medicine

General Program Information
Academic year 2001

Number of accredited programs 124
Length of accredited training 3/4
Minimum number of prior years required 1/0
Offers graduate year 1 positions, available immediately upon medical school completion No

To me, this seems to indicate that one must complete a year of internship and three subsequent postgraduate years of EM residency for a total of four years regardless of the type of program that you are in? Obviously, both of my deductions cannot be correct, so my interest is in finding out which is false?

If in fact that later statement is true, if one completed an entire different residency and subsequently applied for a second residency in emergency medicine, could one "bypass" this year of internship, or this is a necessary requirement for the EM residency and/or board certification by the ABEM? I am interested in completing the residencies in emergency medicine/family practice, and since no such combined program exists, I will have to complete them subsequently, if possible. Any information that is provided is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mike

Members don't see this ad.

1-3 means that the residency is an integrated three year long program in emergency medicine. You do all of the years with that institution.

1-4 same as above, but 4 years long. Lots of pros/cons between the two. Check for old threads and on the saem.org web site.

2-4 means that you must secure your own internship whether it be medicine, surgery, or transitional year. You then go to the matched instiutions for 3 years of training in emergency medicine after you do a required "real" internship.

mike

"The clouds break and the light shines through" Thanks again Mike