Number of programs to apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cycloketocaine

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many programs is realistic to apply to and interview at? I have 7 programs that I have contacted and expressed interest.....would that be overdoing it in terms of interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

I guess that would depend on where they are and how far you'd have to travel. I only applied to sites that I would have been happy to match.

I am wondering about the same question. I keep changing my mind and the places that I want to apply to. Right now I am thinking about 8 places.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am wondering about the same question. I keep changing my mind and the places that I want to apply to.

I think the magic # is 5 personally. 3 of which should be your favorites, and 2 of which you feel like you an very strong candidate for.

Disclaimer: The above statement is based on nothing factual and is subject to change at any time.

I applied to 7 and interviewed at 6.

I applied and interviewed at 4, ranked 3, got my first choice.

I'm looking at 7-8, but I'm also looking at some OOS programs that I'm not sure I'd be as competitive as some locals for. I'm looking at about 3-4 in state and 3-4 out of state.

Remember..what will you do if you get interview invites to all these sites? Do they involve travel? Hotels? The interview trail gets expensive fast. I interviewed at 7 last year, by the last one I was so burnt out and broke, then you still have to wait a few weeks to find out! Good luck!

I applied to 12-13 (can't quite remember) and interviewed at 9. I am sure others would agree with me when I say 9 was way too many. I was totally burned out on my last two. It's probably a good idea to leave some room for declinations, but I think somewhere around 5-6 is a good number to interview with.

I had 15 residencies that I was interested in. I went to midyear and went to the booth to talk to the residents. After midyear I narrowed down to 7 (which is more than enough, I too agree 5 is just perfect). I got request to interview with 6 programs. I declined 3 and interviewed with 3. I got matched.

I had 15 residencies that I was interested in. I went to midyear and went to the booth to talk to the residents. After midyear I narrowed down to 7 (which is more than enough, I too agree 5 is just perfect). I got request to interview with 6 programs. I declined 3 and interviewed with 3. I got matched.

And you're trying to get a job at Target?

And you're trying to get a job at Target?

Yes, I turned down my match. I did get matched and I know it is binding, but due to some family issues I had to turn down my residency. So now I am trying to find a job in retail.. ya i told myself i wouldnt go into retail but as of right now thats where I can get paid the most.

Last edited: