Nucs or MSK for fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blandsand

Reaction score
R2 trying to decide what to do for fellowship. At this point I think I've narrowed it down to nucs or MSK. I find nucs more interesting but MSK will probably make me more well-rounded since I've been told not everyone is comfortable with MSK MR. I don't mind reading outside my specialty as I'll likely end up in private practice. I've contemplated doing both (via the 16-month NM/DR dual certification where most of R4 year is nucs, then MSK fellowship afterwards), but don't know if that cuts too much into body/chest/neuro/mammo training if I'm expected to read general.

Members don't see this ad.

R2 trying to decide what to do for fellowship. At this point I think I've narrowed it down to nucs or MSK. I find nucs more interesting but MSK will probably make me more well-rounded since I've been told not everyone is comfortable with MSK MR. I don't mind reading outside my specialty as I'll likely end up in private practice. I've contemplated doing both (via the 16-month NM/DR dual certification where most of R4 year is nucs, then MSK fellowship afterwards), but don't know if that cuts too much into body/chest/neuro/mammo training if I'm expected to read general.
I did this combo. I would recommend.

Chest you will be fine

Body…you won’t be doing rectal or prostate mr. But the rest you may or may not know how to read.

Breast: I gave that up willingly
High end neuro: gave that up willingly.

I did this combo. I would recommend.

Chest you will be fine

Body…you won’t be doing rectal or prostate mr. But the rest you may or may not know how to read.

Breast: I gave that up willingly
High end neuro: gave that up willingly.

How much non-nucs/MSK do you have to read? What advantages did you get out of dual specializing rather than one?

Members don't see this ad :)
How much non-nucs/MSK do you have to read? What advantages did you get out of dual specializing rather than one?
I mean I’m academic these days and do either MSK or Nucs but will moonlight in abdominal / chest.

When I was in PP, I did about 40% MSK, 40% nucs, 20% general/er/call.

The future of radiology is multi specialty. The days of being a really good generalist and having a sort of specialty are changing as groups get bigger and referring demands for “sub specialized” interpretations increase. The bigger groups (read 75+ rads) are trending to subspecialization.

The advantage is personal interest and flexibility. I can cover either section and avoid pigeonholing that sometimes happens with doing only 1 specialty.

I mean I’m academic these days and do either MSK or Nucs but will moonlight in abdominal / chest.

When I was in PP, I did about 40% MSK, 40% nucs, 20% general/er/call.

The future of radiology is multi specialty. The days of being a really good generalist and having a sort of specialty are changing as groups get bigger and referring demands for “sub specialized” interpretations increase. The bigger groups (read 75+ rads) are trending to subspecialization.

The advantage is personal interest and flexibility. I can cover either section and avoid pigeonholing that sometimes happens with doing only 1 specialty.
Thanks for your insight. Out of curiosity how long were you in PP and what prompted the transition to academics?

Thanks for your insight. Out of curiosity how long were you in PP and what prompted the transition to academics?
I was in PP for a couple years. Then the boomers sold to private equity. I didn't want to sign with them and subject myself to the noncompete (5 miles from every site I read for, which would lock me out of the state as they had imaging centers in every major city/town).

The other PP jobs in my metro legit suck and are VERY long partnership tracks (4 years) which I didn't want to get screwed by again. I went local academic first, then am now remote academic for another place.

Yes, in 2023, in my non-coastal, non-hip metro area (50 mile radius from the city), the crazy boomer practices are still lockstep with 4 year tracks. It's ridiculous. So I opted out and went remote.

Reactions: 1 users
I was in PP for a couple years. Then the boomers sold to private equity. I didn't want to sign with them and subject myself to the noncompete (5 miles from every site I read for, which would lock me out of the state as they had imaging centers in every major city/town).

The other PP jobs in my metro legit suck and are VERY long partnership tracks (4 years) which I didn't want to get screwed by again. I went local academic first, then am now remote academic for another place.

Yes, in 2023, in my non-coastal, non-hip metro area (50 mile radius from the city), the crazy boomer practices are still lockstep with 4 year tracks. It's ridiculous. So I opted out and went remote.

Boomers have a low threshold of screwing over the next generation of physicians for some extra cash.

Reactions: 2 users