Nsu??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOhopeful84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody know anything about the DPT program at NSU or any other Florida program...

Members don't see this ad.

actually PT might end up being my back up plan... any info on that DOctorJay?

sorry dont mean to hijack, but just wondering if you had any insights on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
being that I am a PT who is now in med school, yes I do have some insight. The first thing I'd say to you though is if you are applying to med school and REALLY want to be a doc then go all out with med apps. if you don't get in the first time try again. if after your second time you don't get in, then I might resort to a back up plan.

but before deciding on any one area, make sure you spend A LOT of time volunteering/shadowing to make sure it's for you. and search this site in the other forums for more info related to each field to get a feel of what the clinicians think of their respective fields.

-J

thanks DOctorJay! i keep going back and forth between DO and PT. currently im leaning toward DO. hopefully after i start volunteering and such i'll have my mind definitely set on one.

DOctor Jay, How were the first couple of years of med school for you? Did you have time to go to the gym, go out, do things that you enjoy? I am also debating PT or osteopathic medical school.

myr11

Im in a DPT program where we take first year med and interact a lot with all the med students. Cant speak for everyone, but as far as me and everyone in my class, its all about your own personal study style. Some people seem to have enough time to do a lot, while others seems to study 30 hrs a day just to get by. Either way, if you do have free time, it wont be much.

We definitely had free time. I went out a lot on weekends and used that as motivation to get my work done during the week. I also worked as a per diem therapist throughout the first 2 years of med school and continue to now.

For those of you on the fence between medicine and PT, do your best to get into medicine first. With the DPT out there now it's just way too expensive to go through PT schooling and then medicine if you already know medicine's an option.

I went to a PT school where I was accepted into the program as a freshman and knew I would finish with an MSPT in 5 1/2 years as long as I maintained the grades. At the point that I knew medicine was for me it didn't make sense not to finish my PT education, and I'm soooooo glad I finished.

BUT... if you can go straight to med school it probably is the better option for you guys.

I'm always available to answer questions so please feel free to PM me.

-J

surf pt, were you reffering to the PT students, med students, or both? 30 hours a day? OP, sorry for the subject change...Thanks!

I just meant that some people seem to do nothing but study (30hrs)

And for the free time, its for all, med and pt. Some peopel do ok studying during the day and then have time to relax at night, others like to stay on top of stuff and never take a break. Its all personal style. As for me, if theres no big test coming up, I usually get some time off on the weekends, but its hit or miss. It all depends on how much stuff we've gone over that week. Im sure that doesnt say much, but its also program specific. Some schools spread the sched out so you have a more balanced life. Others (like mine) cram everything in the first year, and the second year is a lot more relaxed.

Can't commet on the fact that its a DPT program, but my wife graduated from the MPT program at NSUCOM in, 2000 (damn that was a long time ago). Seach your soul and figure out if you want to truly do PT or go into medicine. They really are vastly different specialties!

Q

When I was in PT school, I did some fantastic partying...in medical school I had a great time too...it seems that PT school lent itself to more free time as the pressure was a bit less. But it all depends on how you prepare yourself.