NSU tips??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opterrr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There isn't much on the Interview Feedback on NSU, I was wondering if anyone knows any specifics on the kind of questions they ask? Also, What are some good things that stand out about the school's program? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I just recently came back from the NSU interview. The school itself is beautiful and I love the student&faculty atmosphere. What I really think is awesome about the program is that you immediately learn clinical procedure. So, by the end of your FIRST year, you can basically give a full eye exam. I think this comes a little later at most of the other schools. Also, they have a plethora of inhouse and externships that cover a vast array of different specialities. You should look into their website to see if they offer what you are interested in.

As for the interview, I was asked the typical questions: Tell us a little bit about yourself. How did you come to pursue a career in optometry/Why optometry? What do you think the qualities of a good optometrist should be? If your best friend were here, what would she say are your two strongest and two weakest points? What is an obstacle that optometrists today face? Do you know the difference between optometry and opthamology? What makes you a good candidate for our program? What are you scared of [in optometry school]?

Also, it is an open file interview, so they know your involvements and such. They asked me a few specifics about my extracurriculars. They also knew what schools I applied to and asked me why I chose those schools.

Overall, it's pretty much conversational. They're learning you/You're learning them.

GOOD LUCK!

opterrr said:
There isn't much on the Interview Feedback on NSU, I was wondering if anyone knows any specifics on the kind of questions they ask? Also, What are some good things that stand out about the school's program? Thanks :)

opterrr said:

I think one of the coolest things about Nova compared to other schools that I interviewed for is the integration with other health care professional students. You take basic courses with students from other fields, which I thinks helps you to appreciate the fact that optometrists need to work in concert with other health disciplines in order to give patients the highest level of care.

Of course it helps that the school is beautiful :) (I actually wrote that in my essay..."pleasing asthetics are conducive to motivating oneself to learn"...lol!)

Another thing that they mention is that due to the location of their facilities, a student is more exposed to various eye issues, esp due to the aging immigrant population that may never have had an eye exam.

As for the actual interview, I wasn't actually asked anything about being an optometrist. I don't know if it was because I had interviewed in a previous year or not, but I did feel that at least with the faculty interview, I was able to steer the conversation. The students that interviewed me (a new feature this year) seemed to have a list of various questions (I got the strength/weakness question as well as the why optometry too), though I am still trying to figure out one of the questions: "How would you schedule your study time?" Um, whenever I have a moment I am not in school, eating, or :sleep:?? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
swiftiii said:
I think one of the coolest things about Nova compared to other schools that I interviewed for is the integration with other health care professional students. You take basic courses with students from other fields, which I thinks helps you to appreciate the fact that optometrists need to work in concert with other health disciplines in order to give patients the highest level of care.

Of course it helps that the school is beautiful :) (I actually wrote that in my essay..."pleasing asthetics are conducive to motivating oneself to learn"...lol!)

Another thing that they mention is that due to the location of their facilities, a student is more exposed to various eye issues, esp due to the aging immigrant population that may never have had an eye exam.

As for the actual interview, I wasn't actually asked anything about being an optometrist. I don't know if it was because I had interviewed in a previous year or not, but I did feel that at least with the faculty interview, I was able to steer the conversation. The students that interviewed me (a new feature this year) seemed to have a list of various questions (I got the strength/weakness question as well as the why optometry too), though I am still trying to figure out one of the questions: "How would you schedule your study time?" Um, whenever I have a moment I am not in school, eating, or :sleep:?? :)

You were interviewed by students? I only had a faculty interview. I wonder if that had something to do with the second application thing? At least is obviously went well for you! :) Congrats!

alohaknight1 said:
You were interviewed by students? I only had a faculty interview. I wonder if that had something to do with the second application thing? At least is obviously went well for you! :) Congrats!

First, thanks. Second, they said the student interview was a new thing about half-way though this admission cycle. All eight of us in attendance that day had to do it. The said the response had been so positive, they are going to continue to include it permanently... so someday, someone may read this archive only to be interviewed by me! Lol.