NSU POP program/Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyEGiRL7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I recently received an invite to an interview for the NSU POP program. Can someone tell me to what to expect for this interview and what kinds of questions do they ask. What is the benefits of such a program and some of the draw backs? I would really like some detailed feedback if possible please. I want to go into the interview fully prepared for the interview! Thanks everyone!:):):):):):):):):)

Members don't see this ad.

I can't tell you about the interview, but I know of the program.

Basically, it's undergrad extended in a way that lets you prove your abilities by taking some of the optometry classes. You need to maintain a 3.0 GPA or you lose your time and money. You are not an optometry student during this time according to the school. It is PreOP.

If you make it through, you enter first year optometry. Any classes you relieved an A are classes which do not need to be repeated when you are a first year.

There are other posts about the program on these forums, just search for "NOVA POP" and it should pop up.

Hi! I recently received an invite to an interview for the NSU POP program. Can someone tell me to what to expect for this interview and what kinds of questions do they ask. What is the benefits of such a program and some of the draw backs? I would really like some detailed feedback if possible please. I want to go into the interview fully prepared for the interview! Thanks everyone!:):):):):):):):):)

Here's a hint: to prepare for the interview, YOU should be able to answer all these questions as they pertain to you, and not be repeating other applicants' answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the same invite and thanks for pointing out where to go for interview help its greatly appreciate it

eyegirl when is your interview date? mine is the beginning of march

March 8th i have to fly in from Baultimore on thursday

I interviewed with Dr. B and i think i did pretty well, I am a little unsure about the program at the moment but im sure any apprehensions will disappear if im an accepted..... i dont really understand the whole process very well....like having to apply for a second bachelors that we are not going to finish or getting accepted but then if you dont get your documents in fast enough they can just move on to the next person....which is great for the next person however seems a little unfair to the person who was accepted.... what did you feel about the program.......im soooooo confused....that school is gorgeous and in a gorgeous location but it bothers me that they can just toss you out when they feel like
it maybe i am worrying too much?

I'm a nova OD1 and Im friends with several of the people who made it through last years POP program. Yes, it's an extra year and the stress of "not making it through" it tough, but if you make all A's through POP, OD1 year is a breeze since you don't have to repeat A LOT of the classes and your course load is way lighter. If you get a B in POP year, you have to repeat it, but you will have notes and remember how the course is taught, etc. if you get a C, you're in trouble, I'm not sure how this works.

The downside to this is that I hear that OD2 year is the worst, and after 2 years of a "light" schedule, the transition to a killer schedule might suck. But it's a good program nonetheless. 3 girls were our anatomy TAs and were POP students last year. They made a killing on private tutoring and group study sessions. Plus Nova is a great school, underrated, and if this is your shot to get in, go for it.

I interviewed with Dr. B and i think i did pretty well, I am a little unsure about the program at the moment but im sure any apprehensions will disappear if im an accepted..... i dont really understand the whole process very well....like having to apply for a second bachelors that we are not going to finish or getting accepted but then if you dont get your documents in fast enough they can just move on to the next person....which is great for the next person however seems a little unfair to the person who was accepted.... what did you feel about the program.......im soooooo confused....that school is gorgeous and in a gorgeous location but it bothers me that they can just toss you out when they feel like
it maybe i am worrying too much?
I interviewed with Dr. B as well. He was awesome! I have some apprehensions as well. I think it will definitely make 1st year of optometry much easier but 2nd year may harder (as mentioned by Blondiechick919).

If you do not get the average grade of B for all courses, then you can complete the summer courses and get a second bachelors. The second bachelors degree is designed so you can have something to show for your time there if you do not get into the regular 4-year OD program.

I don't think Fran meant that they will move on to the next person if you do not get your paperwork in on time. I think she just meant that it may take a lot of time to collect those documents so get them done as soon as possible in order to speed up the process. She did ask that we let her know if we decide not to enter the POP program so that she could move on to the next person... I do think that most of the documents she asked us to send are totally unnecessary and a waste of time, but I'll do it if I have to. Lol

I think the campus is absolutely gorgeous!!! They make you repeat a year if you fail a course and then fail the retake of that course's final exam. Those are some strict policies. I don't know if other schools are just as strict. I will make the most of it if I am accepted, but it is kinda scary to know that there's little room for error. If we get in, we can just do our best and not focus or think about failing and we should be fine!

agreed are you originally from florida or somewhere else??? i think the document thing is way unnecessary as well and what if it takes a minute to get those documents she clearly said they arent going to waste anytime on anyone trying to get those things in order...freaked me out a little its sooo pretty tho i did get acceptef elsewhere but not sure i want to take it

agreed are you originally from florida or somewhere else??? i think the document thing is way unnecessary as well and what if it takes a minute to get those documents she clearly said they arent going to waste anytime on anyone trying to get those things in order...freaked me out a little its sooo pretty tho i did get acceptef elsewhere but not sure i want to take it
I'm from elsewhere. I really don't think she said she would move on to the next person if you didn't rush your paperwork in because she would have mentioned a deadline or time period to get it all in. I really think she was just trying to say that we shouldn't hold on to ur seats if we knew we didn't want to go there. She did mix up what she was saying and what she meant a few times! I think she was talking to fast and rushing. Oh well... If I got accepted at a more prominent 4-year school, then I would not do the POP program. If that 4-year program cost more money than doing POP, then I would choose POP. I guess it depends on the person's individual case.

I must have misunderstood during the group conversations it sounded like a very unsure thing friday(when i interviewed) but I have no intention of giving up a position if offered it.....just dont know if ill be offered it

It would be nice if we both got accepted... I think I read that you were accepted to a 4-year program. What will you do if you are accepted to Nova??

Members don't see this ad :)
85% sure id go to Nova its really a beautiful campus!!! weather is great and close to family im from florida, where are you from?

Definitely beautiful! I'd like to pratice in Florida after optometry school, so I think Nova would be a great fit for me. I have family in different parts of Florida

Last edited:
make sure you show that you are as happy or even more happy than they are...Nova people are extremely happy and always smiling....they felt like i was more of the New Yorker attitude...cant blame me, i am a Newyorker so blah...lol. whatevs. just a simple tip. Good luck!

thanks paranoiahectic, im not sure i came off super giddy during my interview due to extreme nerves i was literally shaking! and meek i applied to UAB SCO ICO WUCO MCPHS NOVA IAUPR UIWCO UHCO SUNY MIDWESTERN Ferris state.....rejected from suny midwest, uab mcphs, app on hold for further review at SCO( talked to mike robertson yesterday) no word from texas schools, ICO and WUCO are waiting for me to retake the OAT exam, and accepted to IAUPR and interviewed at POP...im rambling and freaking out the committee meets today... ugh

thanks paranoiahectic, im not sure i came off super giddy during my interview due to extreme nerves i was literally shaking! and meek i applied to UAB SCO ICO WUCO MCPHS NOVA IAUPR UIWCO UHCO SUNY MIDWESTERN Ferris state.....rejected from suny midwest, uab mcphs, app on hold for further review at SCO( talked to mike robertson yesterday) no word from texas schools, ICO and WUCO are waiting for me to retake the OAT exam, and accepted to IAUPR and interviewed at POP...im rambling and freaking out the committee meets today... ugh
You'll be fine!! At least you have been accepted to at least one school... I think our chances of acceptance for Nova-POP are higher than the regular OD program applicant pool. Did they say they would let us know about acceptance on today or next week?

Well dr b said this was going to be a very hard decision so it may not happen today but that once they had made a decision they would email they listen of 15to everyone so we would pretty much all find out together I guess that's what Fran said I'm not sure I'm going to assume this week but may next week

I did not get into POP. Did you get into POP?

Last edited:
wow how do you get into the 5 yr prgram i wanna do that i did not get into the pop program

the POP program is an amazing opportunity for students for show Nova that they are motivated and determined to get into Optometry school just as much as the traditional class students.

They sent out acceptances for the 2013 entering class today.
Fortunately I was accepted to the program!

Anyone else hear any news?

meek5, I was accepted to the E-program last month and I'm still waiting to hear from SCO and PCO. Are you thinking you will attend? The E-program looks pretty good, Fran gave me a course catalog so I am able to see how the program differs from the traditional program. lemme know if you have questions about it. PM or on here is cool. PS - I got in bc I'm 4 years out of college, so Dr. B thought that it was better for me

meek5, I was accepted to the E-program last month and I'm still waiting to hear from SCO and PCO. Are you thinking you will attend? The E-program looks pretty good, Fran gave me a course catalog so I am able to see how the program differs from the traditional program. lemme know if you have questions about it. PM or on here is cool. PS - I got in bc I'm 4 years out of college, so Dr. B thought that it was better for me
I am definitely thinking I will attend. SCO will still be interviewing until April 12th. I would like to go ahead and start looking for apartments and not put my hopes in SCO anymore. If I get accepted at SCO in a few months, then I will have to reconsider but at this point I will plan for Nova. I don't have much information on the E-program. Hopefully, I will get that soon. Sounds like we have somewhat similar backgrounds since we are far removed from undergrad. Will you attend Nova or wait to hear from SCO and PCO?

wow how do you get into the 5 yr prgram i wanna do that i did not get into the pop program

Just to clarify, the 5 year program and the POP program are 2 completely different things. E students (the 5 year plan) is a program designed for students often with families, who have been out of school for a while, or who may have a personal reason to need a lighter course load the first 3 years. The last 2 years are the same for OD 3 and 4 since that is mostly rotation. The POP students are NOT optometry students. They get a chance to prove themselves before they are accepted the NEXT year as OD-1s. If they pass the program (most do) they become an OD1. If they get A's in the classes, they do not have to retake the class, if they get a B, they have to retake it, and if they get a C, they are not granted admission into the OD1 class. I think there are exceptions, but my understanding is that even one C will keep you out of the OD program due to the fact that it's like a probationary year. If you weren't offered a spot in the POP program, you 99% won't be getting a spot as an E student because they are already in the opto program, just with a lighter course load for whatever their reasoning may be. Being an E student doesn't mean you have lower stats, it usually means you have a reason to spread your studies out. Being a POP generally means the school saw that you had lower stats and wants you to prove yourself first.

the POP program is an amazing opportunity for students for show Nova that they are motivated and determined to get into Optometry school just as much as the traditional class students.

They sent out acceptances for the 2013 entering class today.
Fortunately I was accepted to the program!

Anyone else hear any news?
Hey, did they email you a list with the names of all accepted POP students or just your name? I'm curious if some people I met were accepted.

No, they didn't email me a list of accepted students. They probably will when the 15 students confirm and accept the offer.

I also interviewed for the pop program and was presented with the E program. I am 50/50 on going.

Definitely take the E student program over the POP. Both are 5 years, but he E students are Opto students and don't have the added stress of "will I get in?" Hanging over their heads if they don't make Bs in all their classes.

Can someone tell me if their is a wait list they put you on with POP now that it sounds like acceptances have been sent out? I was interviewed back in November, they told me about POP and the only contact I have had since is they will occasionally email or call asking if I am still interested in the POP program. It's been very frustrating - they seem to be ignoring most of my questions. If I'm not accepted, I just want to know so I can start planning for the next application cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
They interviewed for the POP porgram on March 7-8 and those that were accepted were already notified. Those chosen had until April 1st to say yay or nay! They did say during the interview that is someone says no or has issues gettting their paperwork in for the program (its not a cut and dry you are accepted and thats it) then they would move on to the next person. they interviewed 42 candidated and then we were ranked but they did not say how they chose from the ranked candidates only that last year they took the top 15 candidates but in years past that was not the case. So who knows! they were on Spring break recently so if you emailed during that time they would not have emailed you back immediately. I would email again this week seeing as they are back now.....