NSU or GA-PCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medicine016

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on NSU vs. PCOM-GA? I am a fan of both locations, although prefer living closer to the beach at NSU. However, I am more concerned about strength of program and odds of landing a competitive residency. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Any thoughts on NSU vs. PCOM-GA? I am a fan of both locations, although prefer living closer to the beach at NSU. However, I am more concerned about strength of program and odds of landing a competitive residency. Thoughts?
I’ve been to the beach a total of 4 times since being here so don’t let that factor in your decision lol. Nova is also transitioning to a PBL style format next year so unfortunately my class will be the guinea pigs.

Nova has had four consecutive years of declining first time pass rates for COMLEX. So much so that they're now at what you'd expect for a brand new DO school, and not a veteran. As such, I can't recommend NSU.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve been to the beach a total of 4 times since being here so don’t let that factor in your decision lol. Nova is also transitioning to a PBL style format next year so unfortunately my class will be the guinea pigs.
Where did you learn this? I knew that the MD school was primarily PBL, but based on my interview, I was under the impression the DO school was lecture. I think someone said they do a little bit of PBL, but that they are still relying on lecture-based curriculum primarily.

If that is true that is a darn shame.

Usually, I have advised NOVA > GA-PCOM but I will have to change my tone now.
PBL aside (curious to know where this came from), why have you historically recommended NOVA over GA-PCOM? Thank you!

PBL aside (curious to know where this came from), why have you historically recommended NOVA over GA-PCOM? Thank you!
We had a deans hour meeting and she said we will be switching to a mix of PBL and traditional lecture starting next year.

We had a deans hour meeting and she said we will be switching to a mix of PBL and traditional lecture starting next year.
Ah, okay. Thank you. Are you a current M1 student at Nova? As long as traditional lecture is not being completely cut out and is still the main emphasis, I think that's reasonable.

I have many friends at NSU, they love it there.

Reactions: 2 users
any other thoughts from students or prospective students regarding these two schools?

Went to GA-PCOM. Academic years were great. Clinical years were mostly great, but lots of traveling if you are on Atlanta track. Not sure how they do it now though.

Nova has had four consecutive years of declining first time pass rates for COMLEX. So much so that they're now at what you'd expect for a brand new DO school, and not a veteran. As such, I can't recommend NSU.
COMLEX 1 scores at NSU have gone back up to national average, per the Dean. The prior Dean did not require the students to take the COMLAE exam. In addition to raising admission standards and requiring the COMLAE requirement, the scores have gone up. She said that the scores listed on the website are misleading because new COMLEX 1 scores haven't been published yet (or something along those lines).

I totally understand where you are coming when you express concerns over NSU, but after browsing NSU forums for a while now, I know that there have been other SDN users who have responded to your statements and have reiterated what the Dean had told them on their own interview days. You are an established voice on these forums, and you have helped hundreds--if not thousands--of applicants feel more confident in applying to medical school. However, you may have the unintended effect of dissuading applicants against investigating further about NSU and/or not attending interview days.

COMLEX 1 scores at NSU have gone back up to national average, per the Dean. The prior Dean did not require the students to take the COMLAE exam. In addition to raising admission standards and requiring the COMLAE requirement, the scores have gone up. She said that the scores listed on the website are misleading because new COMLEX 1 scores haven't been published yet (or something along those lines).

I totally understand where you are coming when you express concerns over NSU, but after browsing NSU forums for a while now, I know that there have been other SDN users who have responded to your statements and have reiterated what the Dean had told them on their own interview days. You are an established voice on these forums, and you have helped hundreds--if not thousands--of applicants feel more confident in applying to medical school. However, you may have the unintended effect of dissuading applicants against investigating further about NSU and/or not attending interview days.
A decline for four consecutive years down to the national median is not a good sign. If the dean was attempting to spin, he was doing a very bad job at it.

She said that the scores listed on the website are misleading because new COMLEX 1 scores haven't been published yet (or something along those lines).

I'm with Goro, a decline for 4 consecutive years is not good. One year does not simply make that go away.

OP go wherever you are most comfortable and if you want a competitive residency then get ready to gun from day 1.

From a residency perspective, NOVA!!! Florida’s GME expansion has been MASSIVE and some of their competitive residencies post merger have still accepted mostly DO’s. For networking and connections, I’d choose Nova. Make the rest work, because connections and school name will go a long way post merger (it’s happening now) in obtaining residencies.

Reactions: 2 users